holy **

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0159.JPG

i thought the valve had split but there is a fkn chunk of me wheel missing. is it worth trying rim tape or has this wheel had it :(

only 2 year warranty with these so long gone.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely had it, even patching with a metal strip could bring tube abrasion problems.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i run tubeless but i prob could get it to seal with some rim tape and some new valves that are u shaped but i could never trust it now seeing that.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I’m amazed you asked really
As you new the answer before you asked

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I’m amazed you asked really
As you new the answer before you asked
nope my bike guy just had a look and said its done and not to try to use it esp the speed i can go.

also said it looks like it has corrode away and will only get worse or crack anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
New rim it is then Soundwave, maybe 2 so they match !!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
New rim it is then Soundwave, maybe 2 so they match !!!
yup its gone both sides.

DSC_0161.JPG

tho how the hell can this happen ?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
At least you use cheap wheels so it will not break the bank to get a replacement!

If that is the rear, I would inspect the front as well to be on the safe side.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm no expert, but it does look corroded. Could be moisture trapped under the tubeless valve seat where it curls up the profile of the rim.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I seem to recall KTM Col being rather negative about the quality of Crank Bros wheels and products.
if i change make of rims ill also have to buy a xd driver for the rear so another 100 quid on top.

tho i do have a spare for cb wheel set still going to cost 600 quid.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Nick Mackey (crankbrothers)

Sep 19, 11:44 AM PDT

Hi

Unfortunately the corrosion is probably from ammonia in the Stans sealant. Its been a known issue for a long time and even though Stans now says they dont use ammonia, or have low traces in their sealant, there have been many riders with corroded rims across all brands from using Stans. The ammonia has eaten away at the inside of the rim since there is no anodization internally. The corrosion finally reached the valve hole and destroyed the rim, so you are unfortunately correct.

If you Google Stans rim corrosion, you will see that there are many riders in the same situation you are. We recommend using Continental sealant since that is also our sister company. Their Revo Sealant is quite good stuff and Orange brand is amazing as well.

Since you are in the UK, we have a service center there that will be able to assist you with parts and service. Here is the contact information below and please let us know if you have any questions.

United Kingdom
Extra UK
01933 672 170
http://www.extrauk.co.uk/
infoenquiries@extrauk.co.uk

Thanks,
Nick

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Very lucky not to get a high speed blow out front puncture.

Unless you really like the bling value I might be looking elsewhere for my next set of wheels

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Surely the sealant is covering the entire inside of the rim, are there other areas of corrosion? If the rest of the rim looks sound I would consider running tubes and forming and bonding an aluminium washer over the damaged area. Hey SW, you like to live on the edge, don't you?;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sealant has got to the bear metal where the valve hole is and any anodization has worn off from the valve rubbing against it and wore it away.

that means sealant has been getting to the inside of the rim and is eating it from the inside out.

2 rims on standby from usa if they have none in uk service centre ;)

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Nick Mackey (crankbrothers)

Sep 19, 1:39 PM PDT

Hey,

I'm not sure exactly what Extra UK can offer you, but we sell those rims for $130 each plus s/h. If you are in the US, we offer a crash replacement service, so its possible that Extra UK also has a discounted service. I would contact them first and see what they can help you with. The wheels have a 2 year warranty but Extra UK is great at helping riders out so see what they say first.

Thanks,
Nick

Related Articles

Advertisers