Home insurance recommendation for ebike cover

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Please could the good folks on here recommend home insurance providers that offer a good level of cover for ebikes. My current home insurance policy with The Post Office, which is up for renewal, excludes ebikes from standard cover and even as a named item on the policy they won’t offer cover beyond £1200.

I have three ebikes, total value (bought new) around £6k. Ideally I’d like cover for when I’m out and about as well as when they’re stored at home.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 22539

AXA
For me no one else would insure ebikes
It’s insured for full amount

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
How much does it cost to insure ebikes?
If you’re talking about a seperate policy specifically for an ebike (as opposed to cover via a home insurance policy) then it very much depends on the value of the bike but typically an ebike worth £1500 would be about £100 per year. For my Haibike, which is valued at £3500 the cheapest I could find was £180 per year and there are requirements in regard to where the bike is kept and the type of lock that you use etc.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I switched to Bradford & Bingley for my house insurance as they cover ebikes, as long as they are a specified item.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
LV will cover the bike at home and there is no extra cost for this but you have to add cycle cover and if you want cover away from home this is a extra cost.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the only ppl that i know pay to insure there expensive stuff plan on it going missing after 6-12 months esp bikes ect.

problem is it is to easy to get away with it these days as plod wont even bother, get the crime no and off you go with a pay out.

last time i looked it was £43 a month for a 6k bike old for new but that was on its own as dont have house insurance as got other things even more expensive!

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
the only ppl that i know pay to insure there expensive stuff plan on it going missing after 6-12 months esp bikes ect.

problem is it is to easy to get away with it these days as plod wont even bother, get the crime no and off you go with a pay out.

last time i looked it was £43 a month for a 6k bike old for new but that was on its own as dont have house insurance as got other things even more expensive!
On the contrary, I was very pleased that "plod" did bother. I got lots of feedback from the officer in charge of my case (stolen bike) and she went to great lengths to keep me informed of her enquiries.

Reactions: The Bear

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I went with Aviva in the end. All they wanted to know was the value of the most expensive bike I owned (£3500) and I got them all covered for an extra £23.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Prudential. I chose £100 excess which made the additional premium on my contents insurance very reasonable. Includes public liability.