Home Multi Gym's

Discussion in 'The Charging Post' started by JPGiant, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM.

1. JPGiant

JPGiant Pedelecer

To maintain my fitness level during the winter I’m contemplating buying a Home Multi Gym, preferably no more than £250.

With COPD it’s a struggle for me to go out on the ebike when the temperature is below 10 degrees even wearing a balaclava/mask.

Has anyone had experience of buying/using a Home Gym.

We have a small treadmill and my road bike is attached to a Turbo Trainer so the lower body will get a workout, but need to concentrate on upper body.

After a brief search on t’internet this one has some reasonable reviews…

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6193368

Any thoughts please.

2. EddiePJ

EddiePJ Pedelecer

It is a bit of a tricky one when it comes to multi gyms. They are generally a compromise on each exercise, and take up a lot of room.

I realise that you want one for winter exercise, but if you are in no real hurry, you can pick up some real bargains. Most people seem to buy them at Xmas, use them once or twice, then they just sit collecting dust.

I picked up one of these a couple of years ago for £40.00 on Ebay, and that was exactly what had happened. Quite a bargain. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1626397

I only bought it to do leg extensions and leg curls, as a means of trying to aid the my muscle wastage in my legs. In truth it sits there un-used more than it gets used. If at home, I prefer using something called a Swiss ball, and just do stretching exercises. I also use what is basically an oversize elastic band for my leg exercise.

The biggest thing that I do exercise wise, is something that is just so far out of my comfort zone, or at least was, and that is an aerobic exercise class called Kangoo Jumps. I have been doing the class for just over a year now, and spotted the class when I came out of a yoga class that I had been doing. The girls came out of the class looking really hot (in more ways than one) and laughing and joking. I figured that if you could do exercise and come out laughing, then it had to be done. My muscle memory in respect of choreography was and still is pretty crap, but I am well and truly hooked. The class has also helped me so much with my cycling in respect of learning how to breath properly, as if you don't learn, then you will just get out of breath and fail at it. Like everyone else in the class, after an hour of fun, I'm completely soaked through with sweat and knackered. The biggest bonus for me, is that it is low impact, and whilst it does sometimes screw my knees up, it doesn't happen very often. Even after a year of doing it, I'm still the only guy though, which sometimes feels a bit weird, but I am made to feel very welcome, so it isn't really a big deal. It has also inspired me to want to do more dancing, so that in itself is a good thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

you doing rampage next year then they got some good jumps :p

will need a wild card video entry tho id try a triple back flip 180 and land backwards :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. EddiePJ

EddiePJ Pedelecer

Not if the way that I am aching tonight is anything to go by. I'll be lucky to make it up the stairs! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gubbins

Gubbins Pedelecer

North UK where men are men and Sheep are Nervous
    I looked at the home gym thing a couple of years ago but was worried about motivation which is why they will be for sale after Christmas... ofspring suggested we try spin classes as a way of trying out a gym but when I looked into it they were all young women in tight body suits with not a male or over 30 female in sight..
    So I bought a virtual trainer with a simulated 20% gradient and video rides all over the world.
    Last night I did 20 minutes riding to and over Brooklyn bridge and often ride around central park.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wander

Wander Pedelecer

Bought a really expensive one 15 years or so ago.
    Take an age to assemble. For the next five years it sat in the corner of the room and I didn't get any fitter whatsoever. Huge disappointment.
    Same happened when I took out a Gym membership.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gubbins

Gubbins Pedelecer

Which really emphasises why ebikes are so good for your health..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JPGiant

JPGiant Pedelecer

Without any disrespect to anyone I think a lot of unused kit is down to lack of commitment.
    After waiting for 3-4 years I've recently started a twelve session course of pulmonary rehab at the local NHS hospital in what is a decent sized gym with eight other patients.
    The variety of kit available set me thinking, after the course the obvious and decent thing to do (with respect to the effort the therapists put in) was to acquire a home gym to maintain my health, so I can get to use the ebike after winter.
    I'm seriously grateful for everyone's input and going to do a lot more research before committing to anything, thanks again.

10. smifee

smifee Finding my (electric) wheels

As a fair weather cyclist I didn't use the trike enough last winter & put on weight & lost some fitness.

I did 10 cardio rehab sessions 3 years ago after an operation. No room for a multi gym so I have just had some hop up steps made as that was the smallest equipment that I enjoyed using. I went back to the hospital gym to take measurements so it's a clone.

It will live in what used to be the garage but the grandkids now call it Grandad's Lab. I spend a lot of time out there and the plan is to do 5 mins on the steps every time I go out there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi Pedelecer

My preferred exercise is rowing. Now that I have the space I may get a decent rowing machine, I had a cr@ppy low cost one and it was useless. Even better would be a rowing boat, I am currently looking at plans for a new one. I am only stopped by high winds and, when I was in Nantes, frozen river. As long as you start out carefully until you get up to temperature sub zero temperatures or pouring winter rain are not an issue. Although I hate rowing with gloves, if they are needed I will do so.

I love being on the water so much that I have no motivation issues. When I first arrived here I was rowing 60-70 km a week on the ocean. In the Gers I was rowing skiffs twice weekly about an hour and a half to two hours each time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. tommie

tommie Pedelecer

Which one did you go for?

13. flecc

flecc Member

I always loved rowing and as an all over exercise it's vastly superior to any form of cycling. However the area I've long lived in is very dry, no rivers or lakes and far from the sea.

So years ago I bought a decent rowing machine but soon hated using it. It's just not the same as rowing a boat and I found using it impossibly boring for more than a few minutes, so it was quickly sold.

14. Nev

Nev Pedelecer

I could have wrote this word for word as this has been my experience too. My plan is to try and use the pedelec as much as possible this winter and if it gets too cold or dangerous (snow and ice) then do some hilly walks instead. No shortage of hills where I live, so hopefully I will not lose too much fitness when spring arrives next year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gubbins

Gubbins Pedelecer

I bought the Bkool pro two years ago as it was the cheapest option and it came with a 3 months subscription which is neaded to use some of the features. I did buy a years subscription but that was a waste of money so now buy month ata time at £7.99. It still works free but you are reduced to an avatar..
    As with all vbideo some gradients are hard to judge so I have actually stalled out a few times with being too late to change down. (the simulated 20% feels very real)
    It also offers the option of making your own virtual rides.. Video your ride, add it to the builder with the GPX (strava/Garmin) data and it will make one for you.
    It needs its own QR skewer to fit to the trainer so through axle ebikes wont fit but my Giant Road e fits fine.
    Link is to what I have, but there now a newer pro and cheaper versions out there.
    https://road.cc/content/review/192929-bkool-pro-turbo-trainer-and-simulator

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. EddiePJ

EddiePJ Pedelecer

It was trip to the NHS for physiotherapy for my muscle wastage that inspired me to get my multi gym. I figured that if they could put the effort in, then so should I. As said above, I don't tend to use it very much these days, but that is simply because I have found and developed other ways. Even things as simple as raising up and down on my toes whilst brushing my teeth. I have to stand doing it, so might a swell add a bit of exercise as well. :)

Not knowing your circumstances, have thought of looking into something such as yoga or palates. Luckily where I live there is a brilliant yoga class, where everyone is the wrong side of 50, and most with some form of pain. The class couldn't be any more chilled, and simple stretches certainly make a massive difference, or at least in my case.

You are definitely right about lack of commitment, and that is where being in a class situation or one to one instruction makes a massive difference. In my late teens early twenties, I would be in the gym pushing weights three times a week, but it wasn't until an ex army drill instructor offered to give me personal training, that I realised that on my own, I didn't have the commitment. Being pushed to the limit and then some, became very addictive.
    I find the jumping to be pretty addictive as well, but these days, my concentration seems to wander, and then it is game over and I'm playing catch up. Last year I was doing two classes a week, but sadly timing meant that I had to drop one of them, but after Xmas the instructor is starting another class, so I can get back to doing two a week.
    The above, plus my own home exercise, and my mtb/eMTB riding should hopefully keep me going for a long time to come. Luckily I have no problem in respect of wanting to get out and ride during the cold, dark, wet and muddy, winter months, and it is actually my favourite time of the year to be out. :)

One final thing, is why are people that exercise in a gym or class situation, so obsessed with looking at their phones or watches. It does my head that they spend more time looking at their exercise apps, than they do actually carrying out the exercise. Even in the class that I do, people are constantly comparing their calorie counters!

17. JPGiant

JPGiant Pedelecer

Many thanks for your input EddiePJ.
    I've done Tai Chi in the past which helps with the breathing exercises and if a home gym is the answer for me then maybe it'll enable me to some winter e-biking in the years to come.

#17 JPGiant, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 7:17 PM
  18. Gubbins

Gubbins Pedelecer

The way I do winter biking with my cold related problems is to pick my days. I find that if I only go out on the good days I don't get discouraged by trying to do too much on the cold days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. JPGiant

JPGiant Pedelecer

Good thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice