Home Solar Panels

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Problem with this reasoning is that it does not factor in inflation.
As you say, your investments are returning 3%, however inflation is running (officially)* at 10%. This means your savings are actually loosing at least 7% in value/annum. At 2% inflation any savings will loose 50% of their value in 20/ 21 years - seems fairly innocuous, that's why it's the bank of England target. They know most will just not notice.
At 10% you will loose 50% buying power in a little over four years. So what costs 12k today could well be 18k in four years.

* It's a sure bet that actual inflation is much higher than officially quoted figures. Anyone with savings based in sterling (or any other currency) is being stealthily robbed.
Besides, vageries of inflation do not justify making poor investments. Forking out £12k for panels, batteries, system and instalation is either worthwhile or not.. IMHO it isn't in current climate (especially UK climate) even taking into account substantial rises in tariffs. If CEGB purchased excess at more reasonable rate, things might different. But paying (at moment) 28p per kwh and selling it for 7p doesn't help.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But paying (at moment) 28p per kwh and selling it for 7p doesn't help.
you sell the first tranche to yourself, so it's 28p a kwh until you produce more than you use.
I think if you have unused land, solar panel is worth considering.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I had unused land wind turbines woul dlikely be a better bet, one isn't reliant on just a few hours of sun.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You are like those comedians who used to raise a laugh about their solar torches not working at night... . The point is that PV does work. Today ,this minute, is probably the coldest day so far here, and my panels this Instant 11:14 Am are generating 700 watts. My Grid electricity consumption ,with heat pump etc ,this same instant is 2.30KW ...so the panels are doing about 25% of my electric power consumption.
You need to look at AVERAGE s ...
Averages are no use when for 4 -5 months either side of winter, any out put is useless when one may want the energy the most or will use more energy.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
you sell the first tranche to yourself, so it's 28p a kwh until you produce more than you use.
Yep, agreed, but problem is you can invariably make it when you don't need it, so you store it, but problem then is battery is full because you filled it on cheap rate during the night.
It's certainly not as simple as folk assume.
You need quite massive production facility coupled with massive storage potential. If you could utilise all you made and save 28p per kwh everybody would have them. Simple fact is you can't. I calculated break point for us was to get envisaged system for £7.5k..Pay for itself in 10 /12years. Both quotes we had were in excess of £12k..didnt make financial sense for us. (9 x 400 w panel system most we could accomodate)

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Working and financially viable are 2 different things. Obviously they work, would be rather odd if they didn't.
I had a really close look into them quite recently. To my mind the outlay of £12k is not justified with savings I calculated. People forget that the £12k left alone even in current situation will return at least 3%. (my investments have even in last year returned 4.8%)...So selling £12kinvestments earning £500 a year(roughly) is certainly not worthwhile to save £100 (ish, not guaranteed) a month. Wasnt viable for me... Stuff would need replacing before real savings made.
The investment in wind farms looks far more attractive for UK,but I, m sat in sun in Cyprus at moment. I, ll have a look when home.View attachment 49794

Danidl. I had a quick look at your at your quoted figures, by my shaky calculations you are saving 19p per hour whilst generating 700w. My 12k is making 6p per hour, 24 hours a day, hail, rain or hopefully shine.???? And its there if I need it to buy a Porsche or tooth implants.??
Indeed but I was picking that data on what was the nadir of the year. And that 700watts is at the 44cents per KW hour peak day rate. Meanwhile during the heady days of Summer the Energy it can be 500kwHrs a month ,also at 44cent per KW.Hr. .. Or 3.7MWHrs per annum. And my outlay was 7000 euro. There were are some additional rebates coming my way based on a notional calculation of what I sent into the grid and I expect that to be about 200 euro since February last ...
The other point is this is totally tax free, there are no wealth tax or investment taxes levied on it.
When I was doing my calculations 16 months ago, I was planning on a 9 year payback ... But now with the increases in electrical charges, and the new grid calculation deal, it will cut a few years off that.
I will admit that I was particularly fortunate in my timing ... The Evergreen ship had not yet blocked the Suez, there was a glut or a surplus of panels and discounts were available. If I were younger, and more agile, or had a bungalow, I might have been tempted to DIY at half the price..It's a very easy two man job , no worse than putting up a shed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Averages are no use when for 4 -5 months either side of winter, any out put is useless when one may want the energy the most or will use more energy.
Not really so ... Our base load is seemingly about 220 watts. Probably 1KW at evening with TVs and computers . When kettles or heat pump or oven kicks in it can jump to 5 or 6 KW or higher. Now the peak power .. Noonday clear day is 3.6KW . .. , but above the 1KW for a lot of the day. ..It was 98.8KW.hr collected in November last. But as I previously said very high daily variability . Batteries would help ,and even batteries to just purchase nightrate electric power is workable. But I decided against them at present.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
With land, it makes a huge amount of sense. A pergola with panels for the roof is really a no brainer..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If I had unused land wind turbines woul dlikely be a better bet, one isn't reliant on just a few hours of sun.
There are limitations with wind turbines also. They do need maintenance .. much more than Panels and they are noisy .. and forget about putting them on the roof .. the vibrations would damage the building. Wind power is excellent.. but scales better . PV is better in an urban area

Reactions: Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I must admit I've been extremely fortunate with my timing. The meagre 1.75Kw array went onto the single story, south facing kitchen roof in late 2011. It got signed off about a week before the original feed in tarrif was reduced. Consequently I get stoopid pence per Kwh produced (I think it's currently 54p) plus around 3.5p/kwh for an assumed 50% export. All guarenteed, tax free for 25 years. I really can't believe the gov did this, but am extremely grateful.
This year the payments for the first two quarters paid my annual electric bill. Last year I had to have a new inverter, cost around £360 installed. That's the only replacement/maintenance costs so far. I clean them myself.
Payback time of original investment is difficult to calculate as consumption savings are an unknown. It certainly seems to be ten years, possibly as little as seven.
With payments due to continue until 2036, increasing at CPI rate, I think I stumbled onto a no brainer. The installation was around £7k a not insignificant sum for a tradesman, but we managed to put it together and, with much trepidation, took the risk.
Providing the gov don't change their mind (which of course is only ever a ministers personal whim away) then I'm good.
I have and am still looking at batteries. If capital cost comes down and I can make accomodation for consumer unit infrastructure changes, it could still be a goer. Especially if supply reliabilty starts to wobble.

Advertisers