Hopefully going to buy a wisper 905 torque

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It may help if we new the battery cell in use and battery configuration. But as said initially the battery was not fully charged but it gives an indication of how it will perform when on a run out as the voltage lowers.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hmm bit off food for thought there not sure if it was a fault with that bike or in general

Any other suggestions for the £1800 price point
Cross bar only
This Cube bike is similar in style to the whisper, but the Bosch crank drive would be better for towing.

You can use the gears more effectively, and the electrics are well sorted - it won't conk out on a hill if the battery is nearly empty.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-touring-hybrid-400-e-bike-2017/rp-prod154586

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Malcolm,

Sorry to read there was an issue with the bike, it sounds to me that the battery was towards the end of its charge. I'll have a chat with Liam and get back to you.

I wouldn't put slime into the tyres. Since we upgraded the tyres about two years ago it's no longer necessary and can cause problems with the valves.

All the best, David

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Liam was riding a bike that has a speed control controller. They have some advantages, but many people find the start-up torque a bit too agressive, hence the gradual change over to current control controllers like on the Torque.

I would say that almost certainly you went out on a bike with a nearly flat battery. If not flat, then faulty. If Liam really knew his bikes, he would have explained that to you. Some salesmen can be very convincing when they're conning you. Don't forget that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This Cube bike is similar in style to the whisper, but the Bosch crank drive would be better for towing.

You can use the gears more effectively, and the electrics are well sorted - it won't conk out on a hill if the battery is nearly empty.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-touring-hybrid-400-e-bike-2017/rp-prod154586
He would need the 500 pack to match the Wisper, £2099, and pedaling would be a bit harder too because of the range of assist, only up to 3x. The Wisper can be switched to rotation sensor mode, basically going uphill without much pedalling.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Touring-Hybrid-Pro-500-Easy-Entry-2017-Electric-Bike_97814.htm

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Liam was riding a bike that has a speed control controller. They have some advantages, but many people find the start-up torque a bit too agressive, hence the gradual change over to current control controllers like on the Torque.

I would say that almost certainly you went out on a bike with a nearly flat battery. If not flat, then faulty. If Liam really knew his bikes, he would have explained that to you. Some salesmen can be very convincing when they're conning you. Don't forget that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Hi Dave, if you knew Liam I am sure you would agree he is no con man. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll have a quick word with him today to get some details.

I am also pretty certain the battery was almost flat. It sounds as if it's a 375Wh. For towing a 575Wh would be preferable.

All the best, David

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
He would need the 500 pack to match the Wisper, £2099, and pedaling would be a bit harder too because of the range of assist, only up to 3x. The Wisper can be switched to rotation sensor mode, basically going uphill without much pedalling.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Touring-Hybrid-Pro-500-Easy-Entry-2017-Electric-Bike_97814.htm
The OP has a 20 mile round trip commute - the 400wh battery would be plenty.

Never any harm in getting a bigger battery, although the request is for a cross bar bike.

I would pay a bit more and get a Bosch bike with a down tube battery to balance the rig as best as possible.

A deep rear mudguard would be essential in wet weather, otherwise junior and the trailer will quickly get very mucky.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
With hub drive, chain will last for ages as it only carries human power. Plus starting off in wrong gear won't be such an issue.

Bosch CX drive is brilliant drive but it is demanding on drive train, requiring regular chain, cassettes, drive sprocket replacements. Towing heavy trail will be even harder on drive train.

If do decide on Cube, lower spec 9spd should be cheaper to maintain than higher spec 10-11spd. Chains and cassettes are cheaper and may last longer. Sun race sell a 12-40t 9spd cassette for those steep hills.

Hydraulic disk brakes are a must for towing, ideally 180mm.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
I found Liam came across as nice guy not pushy except for the slime issue which i was a little put out that potentially spending £1800 on a bike they could not even chuck in a slime

mentioned the dropping battery meter as i stated earlier

thankfully the commute with trailer will be only approx 5 miles per day with trailer with the remainder (and hilly part ) being just bike as the trailer will be left at nursery

like the sound of a fuller length mudguard and is something i will be looking into

and david some feedback from liam would be appreciated and ill ask them to fit a full length mudguard i'm assuming there is no fitment issues ]]

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
;)Just to update you all if any is interested

I have pulled the trigger on wisper 905 torque with the 575 battery

Should hopefully be collecting it next Thursday

David if you are reading this thank you for your help if you happen to have any freebies floating round promotional wise please add rhem to box please ;)

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Roll on next Thursday Malc! :cool:

Be really interested to see how you get on with it.

Gaz

Reactions: Malcolm Stephenson

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Malcolm, thats great news!

I understand that Liam had emailed you. He confirmed that the first bike you tried had not been charged and the battery was all but flat.

I am delighted all went well. Thanks for investing in a Wisper!

All the best, David