How best to deal with bad drivers?

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Part of my daily journey is on a 60mph road which a lot of lorries and other HGV's use. There's no path either. I've been riding on it since May and today encountered my first problem. A HGV driven by a lobotomised gibbon comes behind me and after a short while paps his horn. He then does it again and flashes his lights. This continues for a while before i raise a hand as if to say, 'what, just go', but he doesn't, so i just shrug my shoulders at him and carry on.
About a mile after he finally has the balls to overtake on a mile long straight. Worth noting he wimped out of overtaking at 3 other easy opportunities with no bends or oncoming traffic.
Is there anything else that can be done other than stopping, lifting onto the grass verge and letting him pass?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A friendly middle finger salute might have encouraged him to pass sooner but he may not have left you much space on the road... Ignore them is my strategy.

The other day a bus used its horn because I was on the road and not the cycle path next to it. There had been a bit of wind and the cycle path was covered with plane tree branches, some of a considerable size.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Phone the companies (if applicable) and complain about their drivers menacing and harassing driving style, name and shame on forums /websites. Whilst at it ask how many of these lobotomised gibbons they employ :D.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is often a phone number on trucks here with the question "What do you think of my driving?"

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
A friendly middle finger salute might have encouraged him to pass sooner but he may not have left you much space on the road... Ignore them is my strategy.

The other day a bus used its horn because I was on the road and not the cycle path next to it. There had been a bit of wind and the cycle path was covered with plane tree branches, some of a considerable size.
The thing with the middle finger is you dont know what nutter is behind the wheel. He could in a moment of rage nudge me enough to come off the bike and not brake in time to prevent running me over.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It was tongue in cheek. I don't provoke people with dangerous weapons in their hands!

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Woosh Big Bear, decent sized trailer, and a Phalanx CIWS FTW :D:

Button on your handlebar marked 'On'.

On a serious note, I rode up the A22 a few times, and now don't for the very reason you raise. It's simply not worth the risk. Go another way if you can, even if it includes a significantly longer journey.

Gaz

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On a serious note, I rode up the A22 a few times, and now don't for the very reason you raise. It's simply not worth the risk.
Yes that is a terrible road for cycling, particularly near and at the Purley end. The Day Aggregates depot is a source of large numbers of heavy construction trucks, a type that seems to be the worst enemy of cyclists, particularly on such a narrow A road.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
The longer route is obscenely longer. And since it happens so infrequently ill take my chances. Guess ill just do as I did before

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
The longer route is obscenely longer. And since it happens so infrequently ill take my chances. Guess ill just do as I did before
Apologies for being morbid, but you only need one, as my dear departed friend experienced. It doesn't matter how much in the wrong a vehicle driver is proven to be in court, it doesn't bring the dead back.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and flecc

Advertisers