How free-running is a brushless?

adsp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2012
Hi,

I'm new here, I've just started to learn about electric bicycles and I have experienced both brush motors and brushless. Maybe my expectations were too high but I wasn't impressed by the brushless motor (on the back wheel, with 6 cogs Shimano dérailleur).
I expected the wheel to run free (more or less) when there was no electric power connected. It doesn't oscillate back at all not even 1 inch when pushed a bit.

I would expect the rear wheel to run free at least as an average push bike with a derailleur on the back, i.e. oscillate a few times around the static equilibrium position.

Is this what I should expect or this (new) bicycle rear wheel is not properly installed?

Cheers,
Adrian

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In theory they should have no drag at all in the forward direction if they incorporate an internal motor freewheel as most do. In practice though they often have some degree of forward drag for various reasons, but can get more free after running for a while.

It certainly won't be free if you turn it backwards, since that is against the internal freewheel direction meaning you are turning the motor fast via a 6 to 1 step-up in the internal gearing. It should be able to turn backwards with resistance though, the resistance felt as a lumpy pulsing action due to the many motor magnets on it's rotor.

adsp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks flecc, I've just contacted the manufacturer (Powacycle) I expect they will offer to take it to one of the closest dealer's shop and have a look, perhaps the gear casette on the back needs some adjusting.