How long should a chain last on a E-MTB

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
"Your disregard and poor attitude toward correct and proper maintenance."!!!!!!???????

Methinks you need to go back and reread my post and then explain to me where I said or implied any such thing. I need this as I do not wish to make the same offensive posting again. Besides, how could someone whom gets 2,500 miles off of a chain and cassette know anything about chain maintenance? Perhaps you could enlighten myself and others about getting an even longer life from a drive train.

Having said that, if the op wants to replace his chain at 700 miles, there's no harm in that either. I stand by what I said (and it is supported by others here) and meant no disrespect. No idea why you decided to react the way you did. Cheers and TTFN.
Sorry I started this thread, it seems that there are many different opinions I am getting confused!!, however thank you all.

Reactions: flecc

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Sorry I started this thread, it seems that there are many different opinions I am getting confused!!, however thank you all.
Sorry about that. I think you get the idea that you have options regarding when you choose to replace your. First and formost, proper maintenance of your chain will maximize its life regardless of operating conditions. There are other threads here that give recommendations on proper chain maintenance. There are differing opinions there too. What is most important is what works for you. Hope this helps, cheers :)

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Sorry about that. I think you get the idea that you have options regarding when you choose to replace your. First and formost, proper maintenance of your chain will maximize its life regardless of operating conditions. There are other threads here that give recommendations on proper chain maintenance. There are differing opinions there too. What is most important is what works for you. Hope this helps, cheers :)
Thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Also there are chains and chains - I have moved from a 5€ KMC bulk pack chain which was lasting about 1000 km to a Wipperman Connex at 10€ which has passed that distance and looks like new, is silent and is still running on factory lubrification (don't tell Eddie...)

Reactions: flecc and Croxden

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Also there are chains and chains - I have moved from a 5€ KMC bulk pack chain which was lasting about 1000 km to a Wipperman Connex at 10€ which has passed that distance and looks like new, is silent and is still running on factory lubrification (don't tell Eddie...)
My new chain cost €35, and that is discounted from €40, everything is so expensive over here.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
bike-discount.de

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Note: I am running the normal 10€ 8 speed connex chain not the e-bike specific version which is 17€. The XT 10 speed chain is 29€...

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
When I was a cyclist. I ran 3 chains in rotation, I would run one chain for a week, clean the bike, fit chain 2. Next week, clean bike & fit chain 3 & so on. This also greatly extended the life of the chain rings & cassette.

Reactions: Denis99 and EddiePJ

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
I change my chains every 500 miles sounds a bit extreme I know but I ride all trail centre routes lots of gear changes I find doing this 1 it should eliminate ever braking a chain and 2 chains are quite reasonable priced £30 compared to if you run 1x11 a xx1 cassette £300.A stretched chain will damage a cassette putting a new chain on a worn cassette will wear out the chain even quicker. replacing the chain before it gets to 0.75 on you chain checker will give you A1 quiet smooth gear changes for a lot longer than risk running a chain and cassette to its limit. I have just put on KMC X11E new e-bike specific chain 8gms heaver but supposed to be a lot stronger.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I get where you are coming from when you see 450€ for the latest e-bike cassette from SRAM! :eek:

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Update on my chain saga, on looking closely they have fitted a KMC chain, I did not test it when I collected from the repair shop as it was pouring with rain, however on my first ride out on it yesterday I had only done about 1KM and when I pulled away from a junction the chain came of the front sprocket, I refitted the chain and after about 500Mtrs, I heard a noise and the chain was trying to go up in the bottom bracket still attached to the sprocket, and jammed up, also the gear changes are not very clean.

I will be given the shop a call this morning, I am not happy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Update on my chain saga, on looking closely they have fitted a KMC chain, I did not test it when I collected from the repair shop as it was pouring with rain, however on my first ride out on it yesterday I had only done about 1KM and when I pulled away from a junction the chain came of the front sprocket, I refitted the chain and after about 500Mtrs, I heard a noise and the chain was trying to go up in the bottom bracket still attached to the sprocket, and jammed up, also the gear changes are not very clean.

If a chain keeps coming off, it's nothing to do with wear or stretch. Chuck that wear meter in the bin and get it properly adjusted.

Next, they'll try and tell you your cassette is worn. I guess they can wear, but I've never seen a worn one. Bear in mind that they have assymetric teeth, so they look worn when new. Every photo of a "worn" one that I've seen, looked the same as a new one to me.

My bike's done 4000 miles of hard pedalling. I've never cleaned the chain or cassette. I'm sure a chain stretch gauge will show that my chain's worn. I don't care. It works perfectly.

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
Chains and cassettes wear together (so does front gears, but its usually not a problem because of the higher teeth count. If you have a really worn chain and switch only the chain it won't fit on the cassette anymore.
When this happens, you can either just use your old chain until it breaks (witch will take alot more wear) or change both cassette and chain.
I run 8 speed so about £25-30 buys me a new set of both, but for more expensive drivetrains I'd consider just continue using the old chain for a couple thousand km more. (I'd also consider switching to a cheaper more reliable 7/8 speed setup, but thats just me)
To do regular chain swaps from new is not a bad idea, makes it easy to wash and oil the chains too. Will consider doing this on the middrive.

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus

Update, on my update since the chain came off I have been out twice with no problems, also have been back to the dealer and had it checked out, all I can think off is maybe it had a tight link that freed up.

Anyway hope to go out again this afternoon for another test ride, it's up to 18C today.:cool:

Thank's again for all the support and suggestions.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Update, on my update since the chain came off I have been out twice with no problems, also have been back to the dealer and had it checked out, all I can think off is maybe it had a tight link that freed up.

Anyway hope to go out again this afternoon for another test ride, it's up to 18C today.:cool:

Thank's again for all the support and suggestions.
Safe journey sir :)

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Next, they'll try and tell you your cassette is worn. I guess they can wear, but I've never seen a worn one. Bear in mind that they have assymetric teeth, so they look worn when new. Every photo of a "worn" one that I've seen, looked the same as a new one to me.

My bike's done 4000 miles of hard pedalling. I've never cleaned the chain or cassette. I'm sure a chain stretch gauge will show that my chain's worn. I don't care. It works perfectly.
Changing my bald tyres so had a look at why the chain now jumps in ten.

Hope the picture shows that the teeth form a burr on the crown of the driving face, they are forming on nine and above as well.

20170219_144045[695].jpg

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Changing my bald tyres so had a look at why the chain now jumps in ten.

Hope the picture shows that the teeth form a burr on the crown of the driving face, they are forming on nine and above as well.

View attachment 17841
Looks like a Deore cassette.

I wonder if it's worth replacing it with a SLX or XT.

Always hard to judge what - if anything - you get for the extra money.

It could be lightness as much as durability.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cassettes?f=4294964100,4294963637

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Thanks for that.

Reading;

A 2 year warranty is offered with all Shimano products from Chain Reaction Cycles (3 years on Dura-Ace and XTR products).

Would this be guaranteed or wear and tear, as I think this is going to be happening about every six months from my experience.

The worn one is original Haibike unit.

Related Articles

Advertisers