How many women ride electric bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I wonder of anyone can help?

I am currently doing some research into what percentage of electric bike riders are women.

Any help or comment would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

All the best David

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Maybe ask Russ, David, to see what the percentage is on this forum for a starting point.....
Or for now all us ladies on here can just post.....ME...Im definitely one lol

Meanwhile, I would hazard a guess at 20% ?......maybe less

Lynda :)

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
I'm one! Given the number of women that I have seen on the forum and women I have seen riding ordinary bikes, I should imagine that the % of women owning an electric bike is quite low.......10% perhaps?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My daughter has M.E. and I built her an ebike that she uses ALL the time.

Strangely my wife is not interested and prefers her Pashley unassisted.

Jerry

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I bought one for my Wife at vast expense , well £600 seeing as you ask and she refuses to ride it . She said I should have asked her first . Well it was a 70th birthday present , silly me .

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks everyone,

As a matter of interest, we sell almost as many step through bikes as we do bikes with crossbars. So we felt it was nearer 50/50 but of course we realise many male buyers would also go for the step through especially if they have had trouble getting their leg over!

All the best

David

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Mrs Old_Dave has a 20" folder, she has trouble getting her leg over but after some experimentation we found a compromise :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's impossible for an assessment of our membership based on forum names to be accurate, since those names are often not gender specific and sometimes very misleading.

In January 2008 I gathered and posted the names of all the known to be female members of this forum (the numbers are the numbers of posts they had each made), here they were:

Anna 0 // BeckyH 2 // Cocoabeans 21 // CurryCook 2 // Dawn 2 // Diana 1 //Fatgirl 40
Fatmog 48 // Gaynor 50 // Genna 0 // Helen 2 // Helenmew 3 // Jeanette 0
Jeanette Morgan 43 // Jennykins 15 // Jess 0 // JillWorth 1 // Joanieb 9 // Lesley 2
Lucy 0 // Mabsey 19 // Mandy 0 // Mary Jane 2 // Mary0755 0 // Maryam 0 //
Maryinoxford 48 // Marymcc 1 // Mastanlem 16 // Mazb 35 // Paulinet 2 // Sarah 5
Susie 2 // Tintaglia 31

They were just over 5% of the total forum membership at that time, which if true for the nation as a whole is not very encouraging. I do suspect that the national proportion is a very small part of the whole though and doubt it would be as much as 10%, based on the above result.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
It's impossible for an assessment of our membership based on forum names to be accurate, since those names are often not gender specific and sometimes very misleading.

In January 2008 I gathered and posted the names of all the known to be female members of this forum (the numbers are the numbers of posts they had each made), here they were:

Anna 0 // BeckyH 2 // Cocoabeans 21 // CurryCook 2 // Dawn 2 // Diana 1 //Fatgirl 40
Fatmog 48 // Gaynor 50 // Genna 0 // Helen 2 // Helenmew 3 // Jeanette 0
Jeanette Morgan 43 // Jennykins 15 // Jess 0 // JillWorth 1 // Joanieb 9 // Lesley 2
Lucy 0 // Mabsey 19 // Mandy 0 // Mary Jane 2 // Mary0755 0 // Maryam 0 //
Maryinoxford 48 // Marymcc 1 // Mastanlem 16 // Mazb 35 // Paulinet 2 // Sarah 5
Susie 2 // Tintaglia 31

They were just over 5% of the total forum membership at that time, which if true for the nation as a whole is not very encouraging. I do suspect that the national proportion is a very small part of the whole though and doubt it would be as much as 10%, based on the above result.
Need to take into account that internet forum usage is very male dominated with far more men using it than women which will skew the figures (women win hands down on social networking).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Need to take into account that internet forum usage is very male dominated with far more men using it than women which will skew the figures (women win hands down on social networking).
I agree, which is why I suggested up to double that 5%. I very much doubt it's higher than 10% nationally though, going from my observations of cycling in general over a number of years.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Except of course for Facebook and kniting related forums
Careful Dave....remember I am in Kendal right now :p .......evil laugh........:D

BTW.....parcel never arrived :(

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
BTW.....parcel never arrived
Oooooooops.. sorry Lyn will do as soon as poss (lots of crap hit several fans at same time and I wasn't able to duck quick enough) will get back to reality very soon.:eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Oooooooops.. sorry Lyn will do as soon as poss (lots of crap hit several fans at same time and I wasn't able to duck quick enough) will get back to reality very soon.:eek:
Ooooooh....that will teach you to stand in front of dirty fans.....its OK Dave, no probs as I wont be home for 3 months now so no rush.....;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Never mind, you can console yourself by gorging on Kendal mint cake. :)
Exactly the sort of thing I am trying to avoid by vaping flecc ...though not entirely successfully lol ...:eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would say that for our sales, females account for around 20%, males 70% and couples (ie buying 2 bikes) 10%.

The step through / cross bar situation is again very approximate. Again, roughly 30% step through sales are men, 70% are female, on crossbar 90% are men, 10% are female.

Hatti