How much is a Bosch 500w battery worth?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant you get a price to post it from apc as that is how mine was sent from Germany. ?

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
A bit off topic but I scored a used (1000km) 400Wh battery and charger for 150€. This guy had his bike stolen and got money from insurance and just wanted to unload the battery&charger. I even got the original receipt for warranty. Am I lucky or what?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A bit off topic but I scored a used (1000km) 400Wh battery and charger for 150€. This guy had his bike stolen and got money from insurance and just wanted to unload the battery&charger. I even got the original receipt for warranty. Am I lucky or what?
I would say very much on topic.. it's an I'll wind as they say.. I received £520 in total for my 500w battery and charger.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
I would say very much on topic.. it's an I'll wind as they say.. I received £520 in total for my 500w battery and charger.
Tell me I'm wrong, but is this battery and charger not the legal property of the Insurance company ? Might be worth checking with them lest someone else does.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think its a bit to late now lol ;)

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
The one you have just been paid out for by the B&b insurance company. I asked to correct me if I am wrong ,am I ???

The principle that a policyholder who sustains an insured loss must take all measures reasonably within its power to mitigate it is treated as axiomatic in insurance law.

Give them a call and check. It may well be below their loss appetite figure. Get any answer in writing. Someone thinks it's funny, it's not, think instead what a fraud complaint dropped in your lap will feel like.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
i think its a bit to late now lol ;)
Not for a compliance recovery and the associated fraud marker on your insurance history shared by all. Heard it all from the glib jack the lads, not so smart when confronted by the compliance and enforcement attack dogs. Usually end up pi££ing themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not for a compliance recovery and the associated fraud marker on your insurance history shared by all. Heard it all from the glib jack the lads, not so smart when confronted by the compliance and enforcement attack dogs. Usually end up pi££ing themselves.
Too many people have a dreadful attitude to defrauding insurance companies.

Only last weekend, a member of my cycling group told us how his iPhone broke down which he turned into an accidental damage claim, thereby thieving about £500.

Very muddled thinking, the guy is otherwise honest and wouldn't dream of stealing a penny from another person.

Gubbins is in an interesting position.

I guess when he made the claim he didn't think about a new bike coming with a battery and charger, not least because he may have been expecting a cash settlement.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For one thing I resent any implication That I an fiddling the insurance in some way.
I have re read my statement which clearly says the bike was stolen without its battery, but the charger isn't mentioned. My statement describes the method of theft with a reference to the bike being unsaleable without this expensive part and the claim was dealt with on these facts.
The claim was passed to another deportment who also questioned me on the facts and again I said it went without the battery.. A fact they had no interest in.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Too many people have a dreadful attitude to defrauding insurance companies.

Only last weekend, a member of my cycling group told us how his iPhone broke down which he turned into an accidental damage claim, thereby thieving about £500.

Very muddled thinking, the guy is otherwise honest and wouldn't dream of stealing a penny from another person.

Gubbins is in an interesting position.

I guess when he made the claim he didn't think about a new bike coming with a battery and charger, not least because he may have been expecting a cash settlement.
Actually I didn't expect anything as I had turned my back on the bike which is when they pounced.
At first the claims handler told me I wasn't covered as me turning my back meant it was left unattended but I argued my case and also pointed out that I could have lied saying they took it off of me or anything more believable than the truth, but they said sorry but no! A bit later he rung me back to say he had asked a supervisor and they would accept my claim. I never expected cash, having been down the phone route where I let it get wet on the side of the bath, so again giving the facts honestly was a good job as they opened it up and found the water damage, so dropping it down the cellar steps to break it just wouldn't hold water... the new phone came as a direct replacement, so I expected something similar, perhaps a voucher of some sort for a bike shop.. But bike theft being as prevailant as it is I shouldn't have been surprised to find that insurance companies have systems in place to deal with it efficiently.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Call them, you do not know who else may be reading this. You knew the battery had value, they did not. Your net return on the £3400 claim is £3920. How long do you think it would take to trace the details on Halfords/Wheelies records and follow it up?
A delayed disclosure will not go against you. Remember if the stuff hits the fan it's the whole claim they will go for not just the surplus. Believe me being grilled by a retired Army Redcap turned insurance investigator with a file of carefully prepared papers will make your 'what battery' comment stick in your throat as he explains exactly which one. Your whole financial set up can be inspected. As my old boss used to say 'Nae one's a clean tattie ' Over claims are costing others higher premiums. One of them might just decide to stick you in.
The situation would be no different if you found the bike in a hedge, you could not just keep it ,it is the property of B&B. How you interpret what you were told is irrelevant, you have a legally bound duty to take all reasonable steps to mitigate a claim. Insurance contracts are drawn up on the basis of good faith. The staff have probably no idea what a battery is worth. Yet. The risk is some smart young lad looking for promotion brownie points will pick up on it and get a nice recovery on file at his next performance review.
What you should have done- Asked what to do about the battery, in writing, pointing out that as a special and deteriorating item it has little value, offer £20 they would probably have accepted.
What to do now is up to you. Read the above sentence carefully . I have no further interest in this. Again tell me if I'm wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: nemesis

DAJ

Pedelecer
May 8, 2015
Gubbins told the insurance co the bike went without the battery, it was up to them to arrange collection of battery, keys and documentation within a reasonable time scale and they did not. It is not up to Gubbins to explain the value of a used and unwaranted battery to an insurance company. It is of no use or value to them, hazardous goods with no warranty is an unsaleable item for a corporation.

Gubbins could have taken the battery to his local recycling centre and billed the insurance co for his time and expense, or simply charged the insurance company for storage of a hazardous item that belonged to them, calculated on a daily basis untill they sent someone to collect it. As it happens he found someone who needed it and everyone is happy - but you Kuorider!

Last edited: