How not to cross a train track with your bike

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Some people need to grow some patiences it wasn't really long of a wait for the train to pass

if i am ever cycling and i have to wait for a train always have look at my text messages or emails always get one ping from something when i am out on the bike heading somewhere.

The time i have gone through all that the train normally gone through

Reactions: flecc

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Some people need to grow some patiences it wasn't really long of a wait for the train to pass

if i am ever cycling and i have to wait for a train always have look at my text messages or emails always get one ping from something when i am out on the bike heading somewhere.

The time i have gone through all that the train normally gone through
He's probably a Tory voting Brexiteer. :)

There, that should keep this thread up near the top of the listings.

• :D
Reactions: Croxden and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Shear stupidity if he had got killed it would mean one less frickin idiot on the road.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Train driver probably had a big scare as well, hope fully BTP will find the arse.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
You have to wonder why whoever was filming it, didn't try to stop him.

Some people have some odd priorities.
Anybody who would do that is obviously pretty stupid.
With an approaching train, the last thing I would want to do is get in a tussle with an idiot.
No knowing what he might do.
Just film it so if he is killed, you can exonerate the poor driver.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I disagree with that, and would rather have tried to either talk sense to the guy or physically prevent him.

Better that, than risk a potential rail disaster, which could have lead to injury or death of many.

Given that there are cameras mounted at level crossings, and at least eight potential witness's, exonerating the driver would hardly have been an issue. I'd sooner have a clear conscience, knowing that at least I either prevented, or tried to prevent a tragedy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I disagree with that, and would rather have tried to either talk sense to the guy or physically prevent him.

Better that, than risk a potential rail disaster, which could have lead to injury or death of many.

Given that there are cameras mounted at level crossings, and at least eight potential witness's, exonerating the driver would hardly have been an issue. I'd sooner have a clear conscience, knowing that at least I either prevented, or tried to prevent a tragedy.
I am a follower of Darwin.
There would not have been a train disaster, just one mangled Darwinistic loser.
My conscience would not have been bothered at all.
Why should I accept responsibility for the actions of fools?

• Agree
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There would not have been a train disaster, just one mangled Darwinistic loser.?
How could you possibly know that the train driver would not have carried out an emergency stop, which could cause injury or even death to passengers, or that the cycle wouldn't have become entangled in the wheels of the train, again with unknown consequences.

My conscience would not have been bothered at all.
So your conscience wouldn't be bothered by the fact that by your lack of action, you would probably have ruined the life and maybe career of the train driver, and affected in some way, the mental well being of those that have to deal with what might be left of the body.

Why should I accept responsibility for the actions of fools?
That doesn't even deserve a reply, except to say that you know nothing about the state of mind of the guy in the clip.

Oh, and Andy Bluenoes, agreeing with post 9 is slightly hypocritical of you given this. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/riding-home-after-a-beer-anyone.27706/page-2#post-374797

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Oh, and Andy Bluenoes, agreeing with post 9 is slightly hypocritical of you given this. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/riding-home-after-a-beer-anyone.27706/page-2#post-374797
Hypocritical? How do you work that one out? Did i say in that post I tried something as stupid as going over a LC when the gates are down? No matter how pi55ed I was I wouldnt have done that. As for the guy in the video, his attitude stunk of you come near me and you'll get a smack, and potentially end up under the train instead of the idiot.

Big difference from having a few too many beers than what he was doing

No thanks. Leave him to it.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hypocritcal, because you knowingly put your life at risk by drinking, and then relied upon someone else to save you.

This guy had stupidly put his own life at risk, yet you are not willing to help.

You have assumed that he was drunk, which he more than likely was, but you do not know whether a medical condition, or drugs for said medical condition had affected him. Sound familiar?

Perhaps you also deserved to die?

Obviously I don't think that at all, as no one however stupid, deserves to die. That person might deserve help though, how ever much it goes against the grain to do so.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I guess you dont know anything about Diabetes do you Eddie? Bear in mind I have lived with it for 34 years, I think I can call myself somethign of an expert.
It was a misjudgement on my part on how the alcohol reacted with my insulin.....theres a lot to learn of you want to know the ins and outs of that, but dont try and compare it with trying to cross a train line when its closed, drunk or not. You clearly have no idea.
I never assumed he was drunk....did I say that? He was aggressive - you want to be a hero and save some nutter who would probably throw you under the train, be my guest.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
End of thread for me, but I will end by saying that many years ago whilst on a trip to France, both myself and a friend put our own lives at risk to save two people that had done something silly. We didn't do this lightly, but decided that the two people concerned were considerably younger than us, and that their lives were of more value than our own. I can't answer for my friend, but I would do just the same again. Through my eyes, everyone deserves a chance. :)

I guess that I should also respect the decision of others not to help, how ever misguided or selfish that I think that decision might be.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess that I should also respect the decision of others not to help, how ever misguided or selfish that I think that decision might be.
I do often try to help others in a wide variety of circumstances and have decades of voluntary work behind me.

But in this level crossing incident I wouldn't have intervened. The basis for saying that is that anyone who won't wait for a level crossing phase is very impatient, and in my experience the impatient are also short tempered.

My intervention could result in personal harm which is not too important, but much worse could wind up an already impatient person into even worse judgment and contribute to his having an accident.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I commend you on that, everyone is different in these circumstances.
Had the guy not been so aggressive towards the person who spoke to him, maybe my response would have been different, but life is way too short to risk your own for someone like that.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This guy had stupidly put his own life at risk, yet you are not willing to help.

Obviously I don't think that at all, as no one however stupid, deserves to die. That person might deserve help though, how ever much it goes against the grain to do so.[/QUOTE]
Eddie, you could have died trying to help. people who get into trouble by foolishness is one thing, but risking your life to help an obviously belligerently anti social hooligan?
No, thanks. That is taking altruism to a pathological level.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Its a sad reflection on our current human nature when the majority view is stand and watch.
I really don't think I could and I certainly could not stand filming it all. Strange world we live in these days.

• Agree

Advertisers