How to disassemble connectors?

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
I need to thread a bunch of cables with connectors through an old wisper frame and I won’t be able to do it with connectors on. I need to take the cable ends out of the connectors of this type (see image). How do I get them out? I suppose there must be a way without cutting it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
It's a bit awkward to explain by typing, so found this, hope it helps.
You could use a mini screwdriver instead of a box-knife cutter blade.
If the wires are molded in it's a different ball game - be prepared to buy another connector which has the ability to insert/remove the pins, saw the old one apart to free the wires, refit wires with pins into new connector.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some can carefully pulled with the use of a micro screwdriver though not always successful, you will need to try and bend the retaining tab back again other wise pins will bak out or vibrate loose.
For 2/3 pins you can cut connectors off and use SM2 OR 3 connectors or you could use MT3's though a bit bulky.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I've always found it very difficult to get the pins out of a female JST connector. Sometimes I succeed. I'll do it mainly to switch pins around so at most two pins.

The male connectors, if you can squeeze the barb with a needle nose pliers, usually the pin comes out. I din't watch the video. I assume he shows that trick.

It's often faster to cut them off and recrimp with new connectors, if you're willing to buy the tool and a box of connectors.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I push the wire towards the plug and stick a pin down the back of the connector pin into the tiny hole there. Once the pin is right in I gently pull that wire and hopefully it should come out. The barb which was holding it will probably need pulling out a bit.
It's often faster to cut them off and recrimp with new connectors, if you're willing to buy the tool and a box of connectors.
Which crimper for these tiny connector pins?

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I might get this one if I were in the UK, The one I bought isn't on your amazon. I swap these things enough that I finally bought one.

I would solder the pins, and the wires would fall out before the solder cooled. Maybe one of those little holders using alligator clips would have worked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XH2-54mm-Terminals-SN-01BM-Crimping-0-08-0-5mm2/dp/B00YGLKBSK/ref=pd_sim_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00YGLKBSK&pd_rd_r=0f752189-b39a-11e8-8dbb-41abd883f66d&pd_rd_w=c9Xcm&pd_rd_wg=tiEwn&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=84a780ce-12ed-4544-a9d7-b922bd82349c&pf_rd_r=2XY3EZDGH4865NKZQ9K8&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2XY3EZDGH4865NKZQ9K8

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Got a pair of those on my "must get" list, but have made do with folding and crimping with a small pair of wire cutters. You can't beat the right tool for the job though.