How to hide/camouflage the 750w on the motor?

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
As some of you might know, I recently purchased the Radrhino e-bike. It's a gorgeous and very functional machine. I had 4 e-bikes in my life and this is by far the best. It's like a tank with a sport-y mode.

Anyhoo, is there a way I can camouflage the printing on the motor to read 250w instead of 750w? The bike is limited to 15.5mph and I don't think it's worth taking a risk for power I'm not actually using. I don't even like speed or using a setting higher than pedal assist 3 (the bike's got 5 levels of pedal assist).

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 08.53.08.png

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As some of you might know, I recently purchased the Radrhino e-bike. It's a gorgeous and very functional machine. I had 4 e-bikes in my life and this is by far the best. It's like a tank with a sport-y mode.

Anyhoo, is there a way I can camouflage the printing on the motor to read 250w instead of 750w? The bike is limited to 15.5mph and I don't think it's worth taking a risk for power I'm not actually using. I don't even like speed or using a setting higher than pedal assist 3 (the bike's got 5 levels of pedal assist).

View attachment 24192
just ask your supplier for a sticker that says

250W nominal - EN15194
supplied by XYZ - Made in China

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
just ask your supplier for a sticker that says

250W nominal - EN15194
supplied by XYZ - Made in China
Can I just print out (if I figure out how) an aluminium sticker with the same info printed on the motor? I don't think my supplier would provide me with a sticker, they're kind of uptight.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can I just print out (if I figure out how) an aluminium sticker with the same info printed on the motor? I don't think my supplier would provide me with a sticker, they're kind of uptight.
No, you can't self certify.
You have no idea if the motor was submitted to EN15194 certification or not.
Your supplier should have the information, if not, they can call the manufacturer.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
No, you can't self certify.
You have no idea if the motor was submitted to EN15194 certification or not.
Your supplier should have the information, if not, they can call the manufacturer.
Sorry, I don't follow. Are you referring to the serial number or the wattage or both?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry, I don't follow. Are you referring to the serial number or the wattage or both?
no, neither serial number or wattage matters.
if you print your label without a certificate of conformity, your motor is not road legal. If you have the certificate of conformity and print the label yourself, you may pass off the trademark. Either possibility is not good.
The supplier should give you that label if the motor was and is certified for EN15194 or authorise you by email to print that label yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: E Moses
D

Deleted member 4366

To make the label you need a laser printer or photocopier. 2" wide aluminium tape (DIY shop) and wide selotape.
Design the label on your PC
Print it on normal paper
Fix the aluminium tape directly over the print with a Pritt stick or by tacking it in place with selotape just holding its edges. Leave the backing on for now.
Put it back in the printer and print again. Same if you're using a photocopier.
Now the aluminium should be printed.
Remove it from the paper
Cover the whole thing with wide selotape being careful not to get creases.
Cut to size
Peel off backing and stick on motor.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
To make the label you need a laser printer or photocopier. 2" wide aluminium tape (DIY shop) and wide selotape.

Cut to size
Peel off backing and stick on motor.
Thanks!! I'll give it a shot. Do I need to spray the motor surface with clear varnish or something after the label has been applied?

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
I have an EN15194:2009 Certificate of Conformity

that came with my BBSHD kit..

along with a nice aluminum plate affixed to the underside of da mota..

:cool:
I've got a certificate of conformity too - came with the bike, but as you see the wattage is printed right on the motor. No plates.

D

Deleted member 22539

Excuse my ignorance but why did the company sell you an illegal bike for uk use
Or am I missing something

(Genuine question)

Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Excuse my ignorance but why did the company sell you an illegal bike for uk use
Or am I missing something
It isn't illegal in the EU or UK, this is what the company say on their site:

Falls into the L1e-A electric bike category

That is what was once known as the Low Powered Moped class, bicycle based, restricted to 25 kph (15.5mph), up to 1000 watts rating. Usage is subject to the country it's used in. In the UK it has to be registered, number plated and insured, but no driving licence necessary. It's actually fitted with a rear number plate mounting and complies with all the L1e-A requirements.

Some avoid registration etc and use them illegally, personal choice on the risks.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks!! I'll give it a shot. Do I need to spray the motor surface with clear varnish or something after the label has been applied?
No. The clear sellotape makes it waterproof.

D

Deleted member 22539

It isn't illegal in the EU or UK, this is what the company say on their site:

Falls into the L1e-A electric bike category

That is what was once known as the Low Powered Moped class, bicycle based, restricted to 25 kph (15.5mph), up to 1000 watts rating. Usage is subject to the country it's used in. In the UK it has to be registered, number plated and insured, but no driving licence necessary. It's actually fitted with a rear number plate mounting and complies with all the L1e-A requirements.

Some avoid registration etc and use them illegally, personal choice on the risks.
Nice one thanks for the info

Reactions: LeighPing

Advertisers