How to quick repair a puncture?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I have started using A brand of inner tube called GAADI. They are a long single tube and sealed at both ends. So not a continuous loop !

This means you can put them on to a wheel without needing to get in between the wheel and rear frame. All you need to do is take off one side of the tyre, fit the tube and that's it.

Halfords do them for about a tenner. I've used them on my old Kudos King and more recently on my Oxygen CTB. Love them and although they cost a bit more, well worth it in my view. A tenner for s bike that costs 1-1.5 k isn't expensive.

I also keep a can of tyre repair foam in my panniers in case I need it.
These look brilliant....but I can never find anywhere that sells them in my size

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Try eBay. I bought mine from my local elec bike shop but are cheaper on eBay. Just looked now and there are various sizes. Never need to take a wheel off again for a puncture.
Yeah loads on eBay but no 27.5 size

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I want to buy the Gaardi Tube as well but my local dealer says he can not get it from his distributer in my wheel size.

Does any one of you know where I can get the Gaardi Tube for my Ebike Road bike.
My wheel size is 25-622 (28x1.00-700x25c)
You would still have to take the tube out of the tyre.
Your first post asks for a way of fixing punctures without taking the tube out of the tyre and a Gaadi tube would mean you would still have to do this.
Dave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You would still have to take the tube out of the tyre.
Your first post asks for a way of fixing punctures without taking the tube out of the tyre and a Gaadi tube would mean you would still have to do this.
Dave.
Many just cut the old tube and scrap it, some even carrying a knife for this purpose. Tubes are quite cheap and for many, punctures quite rare.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Time to remind that I often change tubes and even tyres without taking a back wheel out. It's brutal, but can work with most frames if you are experienced enough to judge how far to go:

Tube Change Foot method.jpg

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Many just cut the old tube and scrap it, some even carrying a knife for this purpose. Tubes are quite cheap and for many, punctures quite rare.
I got the impression that the OP couldn't physically get the tube out of the tyre due to his handicapped fingers, a Gaadi tube would mean getting the tyre off the rim at least on one side, sometimes difficult even for folk with OK hands if the tyre is a tight fit.
Maybe (hopefully) I misunderstood:)
Dave.

D

Deleted member 4366

... but if you're going to pull the tube out, wouldn't it be easier to fix the puncture and put it back in?

• Agree
Reactions: D C and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I got the impression that the OP couldn't physically get the tube out of the tyre due to his handicapped fingers, a Gaadi tube would mean getting the tyre off the rim at least on one side, sometimes difficult even for folk with OK hands if the tyre is a tight fit.
Maybe (hopefully) I misunderstood:)
Dave.
I agree Dave, I don't think any of our attempts to help are of much use to the OP. Someone mentioned solid tubes, so the solid tyres that are on the market would solve the problem, but they give rather poor ride and handling quality.

Reactions: D C

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
ive done nearly 1800 miles on stock kendas but with slime added, then I get 2 slow punctures (thorns) but I have now had 4 mystery punctures which is a small tear about 8 mill long on the inner spoke side of tube, but can see nothing obvious with the wheel this only seems to happen when I use turbo mode so 17mph max on the flat. which might be straining the tube ?
been using Halfords own brand £3 tubes going to try a thicker maxis tube.

got a puncture again saterday I hilly mile from home,no walk mode.
just went on pavement,engaged throttle and had a bumpy ride back
I would very carefully check the rim tape as a split tube could be caused by the rim tape being slightly displaced or some slight intrusion by a sharp edge cutting the tube.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The difference between 27.5 and 28 inches is negligible. 1 1/4 cm to put it in metric. The GAADI tube has a bit of a gap where the two ends meet and that is filled when you inflate the tyre.

Having used them, I'd see no issue using a 28 inch tube. Should be fine.

I might get one and stick it in my pannier then....can always try it out if the worst happens.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
In the past I have just pulled the punctured tyre up and out of the way (tying it up in such a way that it doesn't interfere with wheel rotation). The Gaadi can then be inserted (and, ideally, pumped up easily and quickly using one of those CO2 cartridges). The punctured inner can later be repaired "at leisure" when you get home.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Should definitely get you home, and that's what really matters.
Ive ordered one now from Amazon. One to stick in the bag and hope its not needed. Will be blowing it up before putting it in the bag to make sure it works ;)

Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I agree Dave, I don't think any of our attempts to help are of much use to the OP. Someone mentioned solid tubes, so the solid tyres that are on the market would solve the problem, but they give rather poor ride and handling quality.
.. that would be me in regard to solid or flexible foam tubes. They do work, and with say suspension forks and suspension post will be fine. I have a set on a bike for 30 plus years .. and am now dreading the requirement of replacing the tyres, which are now bald .. bike only used for intermittent holiday use .

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. that would be me in regard to solid or flexible foam tubes. They do work, and with say suspension forks and suspension post will be fine. I have a set on a bike for 30 plus years .. and am now dreading the requirement of replacing the tyres, which are now bald .. bike only used for intermittent holiday use .
Yes, having test ridden them, I think suspension is essential with solid tyres to give an acceptable ride. I've never tried foam tubes.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes, having test ridden them, I think suspension is essential with solid tyres to give an acceptable ride. I've never tried foam tubes.
I wasn't distinguishing between the types. The so called solid tube ones I used , and still have fitted, had a solid skin but were somewhat springy and spongy because they would have had a foamed rubber type core. They have some give and then they rebound.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wasn't distinguishing between the types. The so called solid tube ones I used , and still have fitted, had a solid skin but were somewhat springy and spongy because they would have had a foamed rubber type core. They have some give and then they rebound.
Understood, different from the solids I tried which were made of a single material.

David888

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2015
I have Tannus solid tyres on my Brompton can't tell the difference between them and the Shwalbes I had previously except I know I'll be riding continually without any puncture anxiety - would highly recommend