How to remove speed limit on Momentum Upstart?

MomentumUpstart

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2015
Just paid a bit more attention to my speed throughout my 20mile ride in. It does gradually give less assistance the further I ride. Something like 16.5mph at the start and then drops down to 14mph by the end of the ride. So yup sounds like you guys are spot on, there is no restriction. Thats just the combo it is.

Sooo Im off to read more on this site about faster bikes :)

MomentumUpstart

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2015
Could I purchase the next power level up hub motor and just swap it out? I know I would loose distance but thats ok, would there be any other problems with this?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you want to get a BPM motor wheel, select one with the right speed.
The BPM code11 runs at 280rpm, a bit too fast for your bike. I reckon code 13 230 RPM is a better match. you will need to make sure the motor cable will reach and plug in. On your bike, it looks like 3-pin 30cm long. You will also need a pair of torque arms to protect the aluminium fork.
You may not get the full speed of the BPM wheel though. That would require a 20A controller and a battery with 30A BMS to support the motor.
Think about it carefully before spending your money - your Upstart is beautifully balanced at the momment. A front heavy motor like the BPM would change that. On the plus side, you can always re-use the BPM wheel on another bike if it does not suit.

Reactions: JohnCade
D

Deleted member 4366

It's not worth upgrading your bike. You'll pay out more money and still end up with a bike you won't be happy with. Sell it and start again with a bike and kit that will suit your requirements. Put the loss from your last purchase down to experience.

Boneidle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2017
London
Just stumbled across this post and wanted to bring it back to life as I have a new 2017 Upstart which im very pleased with except for the top speed of 16.5 mph. I have read through the posts hear and tested my bike at 42v and 36v and the wheel speed is 16.5mph on my bike computer with the bike upside down and turning the cranks. So im assuming it must be restricted as the speed stays constant with different voltages, The motor is a g310.250

http://www.bafang-e.com/en/components/component/motor/fm-g31250dv.html

Does this mean I should be able to squeeze 20mph out my Upstart if I buy a different controller, PAS sensor and LCD for it. Thing is im not sure what to buy, I would like to keep the torque sensor as it works seamlessly.
The controller is a 7a 15a max Santroll 36v rated

Help would be much appreciated

D

Deleted member 4366

Santrol controllers are programmable. I have software and a cable somewhere. What sort of connector does it have for the display?

Reactions: Boneidle

Boneidle

Aug 19, 2017
London
Santrol controllers are programmable. I have software and a cable somewhere. What sort of connector does it have for the display?
Its got a basic LED display I will have to do some dissemble to see the connector its all incased around the battery base, I will take some pics.

thanks for the reply

D

Deleted member 4366

I'll see if I can dig out my Santrol stuff tomorrow. I've got a feeling it had the flat-type plug for the LCD, but I might be wrong. All you really need is the software. You could easily make your own lead. people used to make them for the BBSxx motors before you could buy them.

• Useful

Boneidle

Aug 19, 2017
London
I'll see if I can dig out my Santrol stuff tomorrow. I've got a feeling it had the flat-type plug for the LCD, but I might be wrong. All you really need is the software. You could easily make your own lead. people used to make them for the BBSxx motors before you could buy them.
Thanks for that

Boneidle

Aug 19, 2017
London
I have just done a bit more research and it looks like the Bafang BBSxx cable should plug into the display connector on the Santroll controller, just as d8veh advised.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/custom-ebike-motor-programming/bbshd-programming/43287-basics-of-programming-bbs02-and-bbshd-mid-drives

so I was wondering if d8veh could please please steer me to were I could download the software then all I need is to order the programming cable and hopefully eek a few more mph out of my Upstart.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have the software on one of my spar PCs. I will try and sort it tomorrow.

A word of warning, though, you must research the pinouts on the Bafang connector and then trace the ones on your Santroll one to where they attach to the PCB, because they might not be the same, in which case you can do a lot of damage.

If you can get a matching connector (Higo 5 pin), you can make your own programming lead for a couple of quid using a standard TTL lead from Ebay.

Boneidle

Aug 19, 2017
London
I have the software on one of my spar PCs. I will try and sort it tomorrow.

A word of warning, though, you must research the pinouts on the Bafang connector and then trace the ones on your Santroll one to where they attach to the PCB, because they might not be the same, in which case you can do a lot of damage.

If you can get a matching connector (Higo 5 pin), you can make your own programming lead for a couple of quid using a standard TTL lead from Ebay.

Thats great news d8veh!!! what a top bloke, thanks again for sharing all your knowledge.

I already have a TTL lead that I bought for flashing some RC stuff I tinker with, I can attach it with a breakout cable if I have trouble getting the Higo.

Like you say the risky bit is establishing the correct pin outs, I don't want the magic smoke. I hate magic smoke. The Santroll controller is resin filled but I can take the led controller apart to establish the pin out.

D

Deleted member 4366

Even if the controller is potted, you can normally get it from the colour of the wires, which are fairly standard:
Red battery voltage
Blue switched battery voltage return to controller
Black ground
Other two Tx and Rx, but not possible to say which is which.

If yo can open the LCD, they're normally marked on the PCB.

Boneidle

Aug 19, 2017
London
Even if the controller is potted, you can normally get it from the colour of the wires, which are fairly standard:
Red battery voltage
Blue switched battery voltage return to controller
Black ground
Other two Tx and Rx, but not possible to say which is which.

If yo can open the LCD, they're normally marked on the PCB.

Boneidle

Aug 19, 2017
London
I have given up for now, d8veh gave me a link for the santroll software but the download was broken,
I have no idea how you could get the software and programming cable unless you work in the industry.
I think you would have to buy a new controller/lcd but then you would loose the torque sensor function which I don't want to do as it really makes the bike ride so nice to ride and increases the range.[/

Advertisers