How was your commute this morning?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Southend got about 4" of fresh snow. Must say that I have been waiting for snow for some time, just the right excuse to take the fat bikes out for a test run.

I didn't dare riding as fast as I would have done on a normal day but I could still over take the cars in town.

Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This latest lot hadn't reached us in the South London - Surrey border area first thing, but it finally started at 10.45 am, though very light at present.

We'd already cleared our side roads of the earlier lot and the main roads done as well, so no road problems at all here.

Reactions: robdon

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
No real snow for us lot yet but apparently friday is the day of reckoning.

Just me and two other souls on the bike rack at work this morning. I've given up the car for Lent so there's no relenting even if it were to hit -10! The harder job will be getting to rowing tonight... 6.5 miles on country lanes there and back :eek:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No real snow for us lot yet but apparently friday is the day of reckoning.

Just me and two other souls on the bike rack at work this morning. I've given up the car for Lent so there's no relenting even if it were to hit -10! The harder job will be getting to rowing tonight... 6.5 miles on country lanes there and back :eek:
No icebergs on the river? :p

I have seen the Loire freeze over twice, according to my ex-father-in-law it was regular before and just after WW2. I rowed on the Erdre which froze quite regularly so no rowing on those days. On the lake in the Gers no ice so it was used quite a lot by UK teams during the winter months for early season training especially before Soouthern Hemisphere world cups and the like.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This latest lot hadn't reached us in the South London - Surrey border area first thing, but it finally started at 10.45 am, though very light at present.

We'd already cleared our side roads of the earlier lot and the main roads done as well, so no road problems at all here.
it's been snowing more or less non stop all morning, dry, light snow.
There was a bit of traffic earlier but not many cars now. Just as many bikes as cars.
this kind of snow makes me miss skiing holidays. The last time I went must be more than 15 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The harder job will be getting to rowing tonight... 6.5 miles on country lanes there and back
rowing in sub zero? even before adding wind chill factor? very brave.

• Agree

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
rowing in sub zero? even before adding wind chill factor? very brave.
I am pretty well kitted out for the chill to be fair. I have my grub neoprene boots with ski socks, trackie trousers with long johns and w'proof overs, and the top half is taken care of with the ski jacket and layers. Weak point is my hands - I've got these Site 'Siberian' gloves which I first bought for winter hedge laying, which are pretty OK but not exactly the de luxe item when the mercury goes past 7C or so.

My dad's got a pair of these German army gore tex mitts which were a steal off ebay at home which I'd be wearing if I had them. If you're looking for cheap cold weather hand insulation these are the mutt's nuts. They'd be perfect for my bike as it's a only got gears at the back with a twist grip and the control panel would be easy to work even with just a thumb.

Rowing in the evenings is machines indoors so no need to feel too sorry for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No commute but did venture out on the front bpm Kona mtb for a fun 11 mile snow ride albeit only about 1" deep (shame more hasn't arrived here), loads of grip with no hint of slip or sliding, Front 2.1 Scwalbe Black shark and rear 2.1 Panracer fire x pro.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rexel1 and Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Snow got here, about 10cm so far. Would love to take he trike out to do some doughnuts on a parking lot but I am ill. Highest temperature I saw in February was 24°C... o_O

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we have about 4" of fresh snow overnight in Southend. I am using the Rio FB at the moment. Personally, I prefer 3" tyres to the 4" (on the Bafang MaxDrive) and found the 3" tyres are adequate to ride in snow.

Nicholas Lea-Trengrouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2018
UK
About a nats ass amount of snow here in Gloucester/Stroud. Took my new bike out for a blast last night while it was actually snowing, I love the way snow looks through bike lights [emoji16] sad I know.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And... here comes the thaw! Wind turned to south-westerly sun is out and swallows flying up from Africa! Normal 21st century weather at its finest!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
More snow, more wind...
Just back from a ride along the sea front.
The snow is much thicker today, 8-10mph average on roads, assist level 2-3. I found it's easier to control the climb with the throttle, sort of keeping attention on the steering and control the assist with the throttle (the throttle has priority when you use it).
At the top of Pier Hill in Southend:

Nicholas Lea-Trengrouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2018
UK
More snow, more wind...
Just back from a ride along the sea front.
The snow is much thicker today, 8-10mph average on roads, assist level 2-3. I found it's easier to control the climb with the throttle, sort of keeping attention on the steering and control the assist with the throttle (the throttle has priority when you use it).
At the top of Pier Hill in Southend:

Much ice under that snow? The little we did have was covering some pretty nasty ice

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Weather say's rain forecast here for the weekend so Thurs & Fri last chance to get out to play.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Much ice under that snow? The little we did have was covering some pretty nasty ice

not much ice. I took a few minutes to get used to coming off the slush on gritted roads to (climb onto) snow. Good fun though when you judge the change in resistance (and the angle) just right, it's kind of a cheap winter sport really.
If I ever go on skiing holiday again, I'd take a fat bike with me. Tomorrow, I'll take the Bafang MaxDrive out.