How was your commute this morning?

Nicholas Lea-Trengrouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2018
UK
not much ice. I took a few minutes to get used to coming off the slush on gritted roads to snow. Good fun though when you judge the change in resistance (and the angle) just right, it's kind of a cheap winter sport really.
Haha, I'll keep that in mind

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
No snow here, but a bracing -2 with some wind. Managed to get out today (van's being mot'd) with both batteries connected. Got lost actually, and next thing I know I'm nearly at the coast near Aberporth. This meant I ended up doing 20 miles before I got me lunch. Interesting bit was coming round a corner on a single track road, to find an inch thick sheet of ice where a stream was coming off the field and across and down the road. With Marathon plusses fitted, I feared the worse. However all that time spent as a lad mucking about on gravel etc, came back to me. A touch of rear brake and control the slide - great fun, although the weight of two batteries made it swing out a bit more.
Lucky me. No traffic, welsh hillsides and clear air.
Don't come here, it rains all the time!

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Last night me and the lad had a cycle through the snow covered local,parks. However this morning there was a lot more snow and without assist imthink he would have been stuffed. Now a lot has melted but has turned to ice on the pavements and quiet roads. So no cycling for us.

Im so tempted to get the wife the little Benelli city link sport, as i know she would hardly use it and the lad would love it . Lol.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Just back from a short 2 mile ride to Tesco on my unpowered Xtracycle cargo bike.

My Xtracycle was previously fitted to an old Ridgeback hybrid frame which snapped in two last summer after ten years regular use.
I now have the Xtracycle attached to a Trek 6000 mountain bike and it's nobbly tyres handled the deep snow quite well.

I just stayed on the pavements largely and it was very enjoyable as my town was pretty deserted and traffic free.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The ride home was far colder than this morning - though I think a thermometer wouldn't have seen much difference. -2 at home - or rather, on the car thermometer (as we had to go out and do a bit of shopping so as to avoid doing so on Friday evening or Saturday when it is predicted to be worse). I'd felt the wind quite strongly this morning, but considerably more chilling now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
-4 here tonight with wind chill affect -11.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My understanding is that , contrary to newspaper reports UK has not yet experienced storm Emma. What you have, and you got it before us is the Siberian wind and snow. Which obviously came from the East. Emma is coming up from the south and will be hitting the south western part of ireland about now, and will travel towards the uk overnight. Our weather forecast is for a proper blizzard. So parts of the uk which are currently less affected like the north west coast will get it tomorrow.
The combination of extremely cold air and moist warmer air will cause the major effect...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The ride home was far colder than this morning - though I think a thermometer wouldn't have seen much difference. -2 at home - or rather, on the car thermometer (as we had to go out and do a bit of shopping so as to avoid doing so on Friday evening or Saturday when it is predicted to be worse). I'd felt the wind quite strongly this morning, but considerably more chilling now.
On the north east coast of Ireland, we are feeling a wind slightly stronger than " quiet strongly", try, "difficult to stand up in". And with the appropriate wind chill factor. What is novel is that there is very little moisture in it.

Reactions: oyster

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
On the north east coast of Ireland, we are feeling a wind slightly stronger than " quiet strongly", try, "difficult to stand up in". And with the appropriate wind chill factor. What is novel is that there is very little moisture in it.
constant snow here in co.down since 7am today,

and if you`re into your weather --> https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

click `weather type on` pink = snow

also boards.ie have an excellent weather forum..... for all the techie stuff --> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057846496&page=143

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The beast from the east has beat me after yesterdays commute home, I went in the car today and will again tomorrow. I know I'm an efailure.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The beast from the east has beat me after yesterdays commute home, I went in the car today and will again tomorrow. I know I'm an efailure.
I wouldn't call anyone any sort of failure for not cycling in this weather.

(The fact that I have cycled to and from work every work day of the year so far, including today, doesn't mean I won't duck out tomorrow. Will have to see what it's like. The biggest single factor is safety.)

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The biggest single factor is safety.)
Safety was the main reason as the back lanes I use are not gritted and just shear ice for a few miles, ontop of that my back brake cable was frozen solid and touching my front brake would be a fall, so I let myself off.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Brilliant sunshine and clear blue sky after last nights gale force winds. I think we are heading for the mid twenties again. :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oh well I'll just turn the heating off then... :p It was turned off for three days in February already!

Nicholas Lea-Trengrouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2018
UK
Work called off today so took my new Cube Reaction Hybrid out for a spin. Amazing how easily eBikes handle snow, ice etc. Was so much fun. Local duck pond looks inviting for a dip! Not!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk