How was your commute this morning?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The night was cold. Windows on front of house look like heavily obscured glass. Opened garage door - took some effort due to ice and snow blown against it. All togged up. Got on bike in several inches of snow and actually enjoyed a few yards. Then realised that what looked to be clear patches were actually sheets of ice - quarter to half inch thick. And deadly slippery.

I couldn't avoid these patches and there is no way I could get anywhere safely. Plus wind at (forecast) 46 mph.

Gave up. :-(

Working from home.

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Watched the snow fall yesterday, willing it to get harder! Had frozen rain in the night, so snow was crispy with crazy drifts up to 6' high. Had the same problem as oyster opening the garage door and soon found out what the "clear" bits were all about!! Thought I'd start off easy with a careful decent of Gold Hill, and before you ask, no, I wasn't carrying any Hovis!! Picked myself up at the bottom and did around 10 miles of snowy lanes and paths. Great fun!!
I know not strictly a commute, but I did have to work quite hard, if that counts!

2018-03-02 11.09.18.jpg 2018-03-02 11.51.57.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Weird weather. Very little snow overnight but what a wind !! . It has found crevices and gaps in the house noone knew we'd there. The odd thing is that the brisk!!!! Very Dry air is actually drying the snow and making it disappear. It certainly not the air temperature Paths around the house now dry . North East Ireland. However even 6 km inland the story is .different with 1.3 metre drifts and impassible minor roads. Cycling would be impossible..

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
Not loads of snow here in Liverpool, but very, very cold wind, commuting has been unpleasant but not impossible. Got the bus today, not because I can't hack it, but because me and the wife are on the p*ss in town straight after work tonight and I don't do drink riding anymore :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Southend this afternoon: half of the snow has gone, winds have also died down a little bit, not so cold (just about freezing) but it was still snowing a bit when I went out for a ride.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Southend this afternoon: half of the snow has gone, winds have also died down a little bit, not so cold (just about freezing) but it was still snowing a bit when I went out for a ride.
Whereas over here, it started snowing again around lunchtime, sometimes quite heavily. Temperature rose, but I think it will drop again now. Most certainly we will now have snow over ice - it is just smooth and white.

Doubt I'll be going anywhere before tomorrow afternoon.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
This morning 2 hours getting less than 5 miles on m/c. 1 and half hours charging battery and then negotiating snow drift and ice covered roads.

Worked for a couple of hours and came home without falling off. Gifted a crate of Shiraz and ass wines, two bottles of Scotch and a pressure washer from neighbours that have been moving home all through the rough weather. Sorted till 10am tomorrow when I'm meant to be back at work. :)