Hub gears for my bike

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
So, I'm thinking of ditching the rear cassette in favour of a geared hub like the nuvinci or the rohloff, but wondering if they are up to handling the 1470w that my BBS02 can put out when running 14s lipo's ?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Rohloff then.
Naughty boy

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Rohloff then.
Naughty boy
Thanks for replying Dave, do you think its up to handling the power ?, the rohloff is quite a lot of money to be spending, but my chain and sprockets are reaching the end of their life (2 years use) , but the rohloff looks like the perfect upgrade for me.

Also, could i fit a belt drive ? or is that a step too far (I want to keep it reliable too)

Cheers

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Rohloff is belt compatible, also have a look at the Kindernay igh, very similiar to the Rohloff but with hydraulic shifting.

Problem could be power, Rohloff state Max 100nm torque imput, to stay within warranty, in the event of failure, the nylon bushes will cave in, it will save the hub, although Rohloff will charge to fix.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Check out rohloff on Sheldon Brown,
He says 150kg force but not torque so gear ratios count.
It's my preference on IGH just still waiting for the spare money.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Damn, mentioned to my wife last night that i was thinking of upgrading my gears to an IGH and she went a bit nutty when i told her the price so maybe i'll wait a few months or so and quietly sneak it in without mentioning it !!

But the Rohloff is looking like the best option for me i think, the kindernay seems to be a bit untested and too new to see what reliability and after sales are like

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I think if you wanted rear hub ( Nuvinci or Rohloff) and Carbon drive it would be wise to find a bike with both fitted that is capable off accepting your BBS02.

The carbon drive requires a split-able frame to accept the belt, and appropriate dropouts.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
KeithMac why do you say this, I will be looking for a suitable eBay bike and I don't need competition :mad:;)

• :D
Reactions: Crockers

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
After writing off my deurailleur and wheel and dropout, i think its time for a Rohloff :) , money is in place, er indoors has rubber stamped my buying it, so all i have to do is find one !

Reactions: D8ve and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Nuvinci N360 can handle 25 amps at 36v, which is about 1000w from the battery. At 30 amps, it occasionally slips.

You need a gear sensor if you want to switch to hub gears. Even then it's probably a bit dodgy. Did you try one with your present gears. if not, try one. £50 for a gear sensor is a lot cheaper than a set of hub gears!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
wondering if they are up to handling the 1470w that my BBS02 can put out when running 14s lipo's ?
is there a point for CD motors pulling in at over 1000W?
Sorry to go off topic.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
is there a point for CD motors pulling in at over 1000W?
Sorry to go off topic.
In a vélomobile, cargo trike or bike and off road.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think if you put more than 1000W into the rear wheel via a chain then you may just as well use a single speed freewheel and a beefy chain.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and VictoryV

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Nuvinci N360 can handle 25 amps at 36v, which is about 1000w from the battery. At 30 amps, it occasionally slips.

You need a gear sensor if you want to switch to hub gears. Even then it's probably a bit dodgy. Did you try one with your present gears. if not, try one. £50 for a gear sensor is a lot cheaper than a set of hub gears!
I'm stll thinking Rohloff though, hoping that can handle more, but realise that i am pushing too many watts for any of them to handle reliably, so now wondering if i am wasting money buying one if its not going to be up to the job and break ?

Too many options now, and a wife approved budget to spend !! :)

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I think if you put more than 1000W into the rear wheel via a chain then you may just as well use a single speed freewheel and a beefy chain.
I commute to work from Kilminton to Lyme Regis, and the hills are steep and long, some of the steepest in the country, we constantly get complaints from the holiday makers about how steep the hills are !

Also, I tow a trailer with my bike and take an electric chainsaw up to the local forest to scavenge firewood for our logburner, sometimes i can be towing 200kg of wood plus my weight, so i do need the gears and the 1400watts to cope with it all, in first gear it can climb anything , load up the trailer and it tows nicely (braking can get a bit hairy at times), yet if i change up to top gear i can hit 40+ mph speeds, so its a really good all round solution that works hard for me

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
The Rohloff is rated for 160 Nm on their site. May I recommend this chain? https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/wippermann-connex-1e8-e-bike-1-speed-chain-617325/wg_id-17951

I have a 7 speed one and it is very good indeed!
Im already using a wipperman chain !, very good chains.

It wasnt the chain failing that caused all the damage, it was the gear cable snapping inside the sheath, the gear changing has been a bit sticky and difficult for a few weeks, and i just push through it thinking i must sort that out, but then forget, and yesterday the cable snapped and i realised that i hadnt set the rear deaurailleur low and high stop screws as i was relying on the gear changer to control it, so it shot into the wheel and destroyed itself !

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I commute to work from Kilminton to Lyme Regis, and the hills are steep and long, some of the steepest in the country, we constantly get complaints from the holiday makers about how steep the hills are !

Also, I tow a trailer with my bike and take an electric chainsaw up to the local forest to scavenge firewood for our logburner, sometimes i can be towing 200kg of wood plus my weight, so i do need the gears and the 1400watts to cope with it all, in first gear it can climb anything , load up the trailer and it tows nicely (braking can get a bit hairy at times), yet if i change up to top gear i can hit 40+ mph speeds, so its a really good all round solution that works hard for me

Nice to see another cyclist using trailer out there instead of depending on a car to do things the list is endless what you can use a trailer for a bike
and also a lot more cheaper then a car too