hub motor running but no wheel motion on FreeGo Hawk Electric Bikes

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
yes they lost their teeth, all got chewed up.
Here is a description of Greenbikes gears.
Bafang nylon gears for 8fun hub motors, such as SWXK, SWXH, SWXK5, SWXU, BPM, CST, BPM2 etc. The gears for SWXU motor are only suitable for threaded SWXU motor(the SWXU motor cover is threaded and needs special tool to open it). The screwed SWXU motor is old version motor and gears for old SWXU motor are not available.

The price is for one gear only.

Each motor needs 3 gears.

Dimensions for the gears:

42T gear: 12mm inner diameter, 54.5mm outer diameter and 12mm thickness

36T gear: 8mm inner diameter, 38mm outer diameter and 11mm thickness

28T gear: 8mm inner diameter, 38mm outer diameter and 10mm thickness.
So first count the number of teeth, then measure the various diameters to see if yours are the same. Mine are on the way, hopefully, costing £8.34 for the 3 nylon gears (mine were 42 teeth) and £7.55 for RM2R (Royal Mail) Air Freight delivery. You will get billed in $ by Pay Pal but the conversion rate is good.I would clean all the black goo off everthing but by wiping rather than a degreaser or you may wash away the grease in the clutch bearing (the circular plate with the 3 posts on which slide the nylon gears.
You may find Like me, that the clutch still works. The problem with buying a new clutch with new gears is that there are different types. Bafang have ones with 4 notches (on the part which fits onto the axle) or one with 1 notch. In my case it was the 4 notch version but that has 2 versions (3mm and 10mm...see pic) Mine is 10mm and is not available. Hence my relief that the clutch is still OK.
I have a theory why these Gears crack up. The horrible Grease the Chinese use (and too much too) is almost certainly oil based which softens the nylon over time (see pic of mine!) I have forked out on a synthetic red Lithium grease, not cheap at c£13 but should see me out! I was also told by Stendec that their Easy Glide Fork grease (synthetic too) could be used. Since these greases tend not to get thinner, there is no need to use lots since it would cause unnecessary drag.14 cleaned up hub.JPG BPM clutch pics Monday 4June.png

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness