Hub stamped with WKS-1 inside. Anyone know what it is?

Thamosy

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2013
I have a hub that needs a new clutch. It's a planetary geared hub stamped with WKS-1 inside. Anyone know where I can get spares?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No idea .
A pic or two may help.
What needs replacing ?

Thamosy

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2013
upload_2018-10-9_9-10-23.jpeg upload_2018-10-9_9-11-9.jpeg upload_2018-10-9_9-10-23.jpeg upload_2018-10-9_9-11-9.jpeg I should've taken a pic of the lettering and hub when it was off the trike. I don't know whether these pics will help.
Right side
upload_2018-10-9_9-10-23.jpeg

Left side
upload_2018-10-9_9-11-9.jpeg

Ideally I'd like a new clutch as it seems to be fine when cleaned up and reassembled, but I've now done had to do that twice in the last 6 months and it runs nice and quiet for a few hundred miles and then starts binding again.

The people who supplied the trike are less than hrelpful.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AFAICT it's not a Bafang/8fun or a MXUS clone.

Thamosy

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm not having much luck over this one. I've even tried searching images to see if I could find one of similar design. It's not the usual circular shape, but one with three 'prongs' to take the planetary gears and a somewhat smaller clutch than seems usual.

I've 'bitten the bullet' and I'm going to go for a Bafang. Hopefully I'll get it to match with my present controller, but if not, do you know whether simply leaving the PAS unconnected allows it to function in a 'twist and go' fashion?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You shouldn't have any issue I don't believe with any hub working with your controller, however if it comes to it finding a controller will be easy.

Usually with controller the only issue is matching to a compatible lcd display of the same make if using one.

Thamosy

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm driving myself potty with indecision over this problem. I found this about Phase-Hall wire combinations on endless sphere and thought it looked very useful.

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3484

But then I downloaded his spreadsheet of the '36 possible combinations' between a Bafang motor and an infineon controller and my brain won't accept that there are three good combinations -- which is what his spreadsheet seems to show.

Right now I'm wondering whether one of the ebike testers would give any idea of the correct combination. Or do they simply show that the connection is good?

There's so much to learn ......!

The good thing is that my freeing up the motor has been good. Whilst it's not exactly purring it didn't overheat when flogging it up a steep hill and I've at least bought myself a bit of time before a new hub becomes urgent.

Advertisers