Hydraulic brake issue after tyre change

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Maybe not Ebike specific , please delete or move if unhappy mrs moderator

I am having a nightmare commute home. Ran through some exploded bin debris and punctured both inner tubes . Gutted

Changed tubes (bike upside down)

Afterwards one of my brakes . Rear one has almost no power with the lever going fully depressed. The front is exactly as it was before . Wheels true and spinning freely , no signs of any damage to Caliper or anything

What gives ?! Avid elixir 5 they are if this helps ?

Surely simply inverting a bike cannot led to such severe issues if they need bleeding ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Turning the bike upside down has done something to the fluid either at the caliper end or up at the reservoir, possibly air has got trapped?
Try bleeding.
Thanks , just seems odd, i worry bleeding treats the symptom but doesn’t explain why . Such as an unseen leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Inverting a bike is something I never do now with HDB's, due to the exact reason you have found out K.

The one time I did it I was lucky and a few lever pumps and some gentle tapping of the calliper and brake hose managed to remove the air back to the reservoir, alternately use a lacky band or cable tie and leave the lever fully on to see if that helps.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not forgetting as pads wear eventually there will be a small air pocket in the reservoir so at some stage it will travel the length of the hose when inverted.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Quite normal especially if air in brakes. Pumping or leaving over night normally brings it right, air moves back up to reservoir. Nealh trick of keeping brake level squeezed overnight with rubber band worth try.

Long term look at getting them bleed. Kits are cheap and is easy depending on brand. Checkout Youtube first, may decide its a shop job.

Advertisers