I had a quick go on a Wisper 905se today.

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks to Al (a genuinely nice bloke) at Atmosphere Bikes in Bristol I had a go on a Wisper 905se today and after a bit of initial amazement over getting up two pretty steep / long hills I'm a bit depressed.

Plus points:

Bike felt very sturdy and well made.
I went up a very steep hill and a moderate but long hill without having to get out of the seat, like I would have had to do on a normal bike.
Whine from the motor wasn't as loud as I feared it would be, no one took a second glance at me.

Minus points:

Throttle and green 'off-road' button made no apparent difference to either top assisted speed or amount of assistance.
Assistance cut off at seemingly very low speeds (speedo wasn't on so couldn't tell what my speed was) ~ 10mph or so, which meant the motor was only on when going up hills, regardless of the green button.
Bike felt heavy and slow on the flats - difficult to get much speed up.

Please note that I weight 21 stone (chubby ex-bodybuilder! :eek: )

So I'm left wondering

A. Was there was something wrong with it?
B. Am I too heavy for e-bikes?
C. If there wasn't anything wrong with it then for me I don't think the pros outweight the cons :( I might be better off with a light road bike or hybrid commuter.

I'm a bit gutted that I feel so underwhelmed. Bugger. :(

Daz

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Dazzie!, your secret is out!!

Daz,

There's nothing wrong with the Wisper you rode. The "optimum" loading (rider + luggage) for the Wisper 905 is 90 Kgs. This is the loading at which one would expect to achieve the quoted range, speed and hill climbing ability. For every Kg above that figure, the claimed performance will diminish.

Off the top of my head, I believe the "maximum" loading for the Wisper is 121 Kgs. David Miall, WEVCO MD is a comfortable 20 stones, and I don't think he's managed to "bend" one yet!!.

There's only two machines that are renouned for their hill climbing ability with a heavy load, the Powabikes and the legendary EZEE Quando. But, by the same token, will give less than exciting performance on the flat.

As a result of your activities as a bodybuilder, you will now be carrying the "bulk" that results from such training. Personally, I preferred following a regime of light weights, high repetition circuit training. Apart from badly worn knee joints, I have now moved into retirement in disgustingly good health!. And still tipping the scales at 77 Kgs

I fully understand your disappointment Daz, but there's only just so much that can be achieved within the legal specification laid down for electric bikes.

Have you thought about a machine that will actually "make" you work with it. I am of course referring to the Panasonic powered Kalkhoff range of machines. These high quality machines are pure pedelecs, no throttle being fitted. They are well known as excellent hill climbers, the reason being, the electric drive motor works through the machines road gears. Have a look at the range of styles available under that brand name and see what you think.

All the best Daz

Bob

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Hiya Daz!,

I reckon you could be a little too heavy. I'm a skinny guy and even I wish I was lighter so that the Wisper could carry me up some of the more steeper hills in my area. Right now I feel I could probably climb them easier with a lightweight mountain bike. Although I'm talking something like 10 kg, and bikes like that don't come cheap!. :)

But still, the Wisper is a definitely a pleasure to ride up some of the gentler hills. So I'm happy overall.

As far the derestrictor - mine doesn't seem to work at all. I''ve come to the conclusion that it just isn't wired up, as the wiring on the brake cutoffs were also not connected. Maybe it had a rough journey from China. ;)

But one more thing to take into account is the weather. Was it windy when you tested the wisper?. On a windy day cycling can be a huge drag. It may feel like there's not much headwind and yet there is. I had one of those days yesterday, it sucks.. umm... i mean blows!

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
My offroad button makes a definite difference and if you weren't able to switch the restriction off it would have made quite a difference to the experience, were you using the throttle as well as pedaling? OTOH it's not always easy to spot the difference if you are travelling too fast or too slow when you switch it.
I find on the flat I struggle to go more than about 23mph and normally cruise along about 20mph, it's faster than most other riders I see on the roads. There does seem to be some drag at high speed but I can roll downhill at 40mph.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Undewhelmed

Hi Daz

As mussels kindly pointed out I am 20 stone (21 actually! :( ) and put my weight on years ago when I too gave up the gym. Unfortunately as my company is based in New Milton which is over 100 miles away and I work from my study which is about 10 feet from the bedroom, I do not have a commute on which I can use my 905se. (I would use it from the bedroom to my study but my lovely wife doesn't think that's such a good idea on the new carpet..... Women! :eek: ) Judging by the testimonials from other Wisper riders, if I was commuting, I am sure I would be a stone or two lighter now.

The effect your weight (and mine) have on a 250w motor is never going to be great! Before I started Wisper in 2004 I went on a huge diet and got down from 20.9 to 12.3. (I bounced back to 21! :mad: ) So I have experience of riding at the correct weight and at 8 stone over, the difference is amazing, if I were to produce a bike that weighed 8 stones more than our 905 (74 kg instead of 22) it would not perform so well either!

HOWEVER, the motor does have a huge effect and riding a push bike, as I found out recently, is very tough by comparison.

I shouldn't really mention this but we are currently producing a special bike the 905xs for both the LA and the Royal Bahamian police. This bike has two fantastic new Bafang 'B' motors. The B has a superb free wheel and massively strong gearing. The motors can be worked independently or together. It may be that I will be sneaking one or two onto the UK roads to test early next year. I can't say more at the moment, apart from the maximum power will be a little under 900w.

Regarding the bike's ability to take your weight, no problem, the Wisper 905 frame is constructed in the same manner, and therefore is as strong (and expensive) as a very high quality MTB, so 21 stone on the road is absolutely no problem.

The little green button is about to leave us, the next container is the last that will feature it. The main advantage of the green button is that is will allow you to keep power when pedaling over 15mph, (in an off road situation only!) It doesn't feel like much unless you are pedaling hard. Due to EC regs it's going have to disappear. A point of interest, it will still be available on the Australasian and USA spec-ed bike where it is an eco button built in to restrict the speed to 15mph thus increasing the range.

Writing this reply has inspired me to take the bike out every day from now on to try and get healthy and fit again, I will keep you posted.

All the best David

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
David

Now look what you've done, I've just dribbled all over my keyboard!!

Oh, by the way, did I mention, I'm an officer in the Royal Bahamian Police currently on an extended holiday in Britain.....if you see what I mean!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
'Ello 'Ello 'Ello Whats all this then?

Sorry Chief Inspector Blew It, I didn't realise!

As soon as we have a couple in I will arrange for you to at least have a go! I haven't ridden it yet but one is currently on test in New Zealand, apparently the acceleration is wicked, top speed still only just over 20mph but is flies up 15% inclines effortlessly. I can't wait to have ago, it will be worth loosing the weight for! :cool: We are also making a paramedic version for Australia.

As soon as I have images of them I will post here, the police bike will be white with POLICE in black on the cross bar and the paramedic, green with white lettering, both have lights and sirens!! This is so exiting, I love this business!!!! :D

All the best David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think those twin motor bikes could offset any effect the recession has on your UK sales David. ;)

Could be 2009's coolest e-bike. :cool:

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I shouldn't really mention this but we are currently producing a special bike the 905xs for both the LA and the Royal Bahamian police. This bike has two fantastic new Bafang 'B' motors. The B has a superb free wheel and massively strong gearing. The motors can be worked independently or together. It may be that I will be sneaking one or two onto the UK roads to test early next year. I can't say more at the moment, apart from the maximum power will be a little under 900w.
:eek:

want!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Ooops

My Business partner says I have a big mouth and maybe I should become a politician because he can't think of any other profession that leaks information quite so readily!

I cant help it................... mmmmm twin motors.................

Thanks Flecc!!! It will be horribly expensive though. Strangely we are selling loads of bikes at the moment. I don't understand it either. Most of them are in sunnier climes however.

All the best David

Last edited:

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for all the advice everyone - you lot are great! :)

David, commiserations on being the same weight as me! I'm back in the gym and enjoying it and really looking forward to my big commute hopefully starting in Jan. You lost the weight before (very impressive!) so you can do it again - it's funny how the motivation and discipline to exercise and diet suddenly appear when you just get on and do it. :D

Aldby, is that your agattu on ebay? Just checked the message the seller sent me and it is from a John... Hmmm! :D 5% discount for us pedelecers too...

The dual motor machine sounds awesome!

I'm not sure what to do on the ebike front so I think I'm going to get a cheapish hybrid racer to last me (get me to the train station and back) until jan and hopefully by then I'll have a better idea of what to do (or might have lost more weight by then ;) ).

Daz

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Thanks for all the advice everyone - you lot are great! :)

Aldby, is that your agattu on ebay? Just checked the message the seller sent me and it is from a John... Hmmm! :D 5% discount for us pedelecers too...

Daz
Hi Daz,

Yes it is my Agattu;)

J:) hn

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Hi Dazzie, I think your trial bike was as in your (a) of possibilitis, not working correctly.
Mine has plenty of power, the de restrict button ''The Afterburner'' always seems to work, though now I keep it de restricted, can't see the point of using and thus cutting speed even though range might be increased. Pedelec cuts in quite easily and happily, cuts in quicker in the lower gears, 18 mph throttle only, and 21mph or so with pedalling.
Goes up hills easier than my Powarbyke Commuter. I'm 13 stone, not 21 but I really think you should try a 905 which you know is correctly working in every sense, I don't think you will be dissapointed
David, ''Can I have a go please Mister''? At New Milton preferably, sounds good, though presumably it won't have a throttle fitted, I do find that half the fun of an e bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Of course you can!

Hi TB

As soon as the demo 905xs bikes are here I will post an invitation on Pedelecs so any one from the Forum can have a bash, but I don't expect to see them until the spring.

They will have throttles and you can choose between back only or 2 wheel drive.

All the best David

Beej

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2008
Dazzie, I second what you said about Alistair at Atmosphere - very helpful. I've bought my Wisper there a fortnight ago and so far I am very pleased with it, apart from the riding position - I think I will end up buying a new seat pillar. As for weight, I am 14 stone +, but the Wisper managed to take me for a 20+ mile trip with my ytrailer to get a heavy week's shop, so not bad.

As for the green button, the only way I can tell if it is on or off is the change in the sound of the motor when operating on throttle only.

Beej

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi TB

As soon as the demo 905xs bikes are here I will post an invitation on Pedelecs so any one from the Forum can have a bash, but I don't expect to see them until the spring.

All the best David
I don't know if it would have an overall benefit for me on the road but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun with knobbly tyres and a muddy hillside. :)

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
two motors! room for more batteries?

David

I assume that two motors will use the power more than one.

Will you be designing this with room for two batteries to be used at the same time?

I travel with three batteries and stop to make the change. Only takes a few minutes but is sometimes at inconvenient times - at 10pm in the mddle of Epping Forest with cars flashing past at 50mph and no pavement!

Conal

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi TB

All the best David
Sounds good, David. Thanks.
I'm certainly interested.

Nick

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Sorry Chief Inspector Blew It, I didn't realise!

As soon as we have a couple in I will arrange for you to at least have a go! I haven't ridden it yet but one is currently on test in New Zealand, apparently the acceleration is wicked, top speed still only just over 20mph but is flies up 15% inclines effortlessly. I can't wait to have ago, it will be worth loosing the weight for! :cool: We are also making a paramedic version for Australia.

As soon as I have images of them I will post here, the police bike will be white with POLICE in black on the cross bar and the paramedic, green with white lettering, both have lights and sirens!! This is so exiting, I love this business!!!!

All the best David
Me too like Blew it!!! I am also all of what he is and a police woman and a paramedic all at the same time! I will concede to going under cover without the flashing lights if possible though :D
I want one David and promise only to admire it and never ride it honest!! :D
Pretty Please :D
Regards