I need a bike shed!

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I am moving house and the new house doesn't have a garage - the back garden is at a different level to the front & as I have mentioned before I struggle with the weight of my bike especially when hoiking it around

So a bike shed but a low one (because it will be at the front) with nice doors so I don't have to lift it or do any complicated things with it

& I guess a cement base with a nice solid metal hoop stuck in & a couple of heavy duty locks (well we have those for when we park our bikes but maybe we need more)

My bike is 1.9m by 1.2m (high) and about 80 cms wide

Where do I start.....bike sheds seem to be 6 ft long or 6ft high!

btw I guessed this was the right forum to post in.....but I could be wrong

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
There are lots and lots of cheap, wooden affairs described as bicycle sheds but very few offer anything approaching real security.

Asgard and Trimetals produce metal alternatives which are considerably more secure. At the top end of the Trimetal range, this one is probably as good as it gets but it's expensive.

protect-a-cycle

Check out the range of secure bike sheds produced by these firms - obviously, it's a considerable outlay but frankly, the cheapest timber constructions are literally a waste of money.

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I looked at that model in my local Van Hague in England and it's solid as a rock. It weighs a ton though but that's only a problem once when it's being placed in situ.

As for the Trimetal ones, that part you'd need to lift the bike over actually folds down on at least one of their models so there is no lifting involved. There was also one of those on display in Van Hague when I was looking but unless they have a sale on, bringing their prices all the way down to extortionate, I wouldn't buy from them.

The cheaper alternative is a good all-weather bike cover plus heavy-duty chain, padlock and ground anchor into concrete - only an extremely determined bike thief is likely to want to tackle that in a domestic garden where neighbours or passers-by might notice.

Tom

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Years ago I built my own using Dexion angle.
I constructed a cage that the bike couldn't be pulled through then clad it with wood.
I made it with a top opening but then I was young and fit, now it would be vertical doors!
It can be made very secure with the right locks and hinges and either concreted into the ground or bolted to a wall.
Dave.

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I am moving house and the new house doesn't have a garage - the back garden is at a different level to the front & as I have mentioned before I struggle with the weight of my bike especially when hoiking it around

So a bike shed but a low one (because it will be at the front) with nice doors so I don't have to lift it or do any complicated things with it

& I guess a cement base with a nice solid metal hoop stuck in & a couple of heavy duty locks (well we have those for when we park our bikes but maybe we need more)

My bike is 1.9m by 1.2m (high) and about 80 cms wide

Where do I start.....bike sheds seem to be 6 ft long or 6ft high!

btw I guessed this was the right forum to post in.....but I could be wrong
.. I noted that one of our major railway stations now had bike lockers, and they looked the business.. made from fibreglass and with a locking door . The shape is wedge shaped .the bike is rolled in with the back wheel first and then the door locked. The wider end accommodates the handlebars. In this version the door was locked and unlocked using a smart phone app. Don't know the vendor or manufacturer.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Katy,
They give the internal height as 1.17M, also they give internal length as 1.8M, so just too short against the dimensions you gave earlier.
I had similar problems as I live in a terrace, all the proprietry bike storage units looked a couple of inches too small either on height or length. Our second reception room got turned into a bike garage:eek:.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I do have to solve it though - there isn't a second reception room (well there is but it will be our bedroom as I don't do stairs too well!)

So it has to be a shed/shelter/thing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here's a thought, as bike height seems to be your main problem, which I'm guessing will be the handlebars, maybe one of these would help:
http://octagoncycles.com/
Never seen them before so don't know how good they are.
Here's another version that allows the bars to be turned sideways as well. This may help with the length of the bike as you could angle the front wheel inside the container, so making the bike a vital inch or so shorter.
http://octagoncycles.com/
If saddle height is a problem you could fit a dropper post, but they ain't cheap.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Thinking about this after your post Benjamin - I haven't. Ensured my bike I'm using the companies measurements and the height of the handbags are (as you mentioned) variable

Off to measure my bike!

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I don't think I'll be allowed to have a high shed at the front

if I have to have one at the back that looks perfect but that does add a narrow path to me getting the bike out- & I want to make it easy for myself

I have measured the bike myself & the height is slightly lower at 1.17 but the length is only about 1.84 - which is surprising - I need to relook at the suggestions & see what might fit

Thanks for all your help - I was getting very confused by it all

Advertisers