I need some advice on what front forks to buy.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
hiya all,
So I took my front wheel (Ezee hub) off today with the intention to take it apart and grease the internal gear us when I found this....

My front fork dropout (dunno if this is the correct word) has snapped. The forks are 20 years old now and I was intending to replace them next spring anyway.

Without spending the earth, what would be a good replacement?
The forks I had have about 50mm of travel and I would like a lot more than that as the ride does get a bit rough.

My riding is mainly road and trails with the occasional bit of harder off-road.

The diameter of the bit that goes thro the frame is 28.5 mm and the length off said tube is 180mm

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: they need to be V brake and disk brake compatible as I plan to add dick brakes soon

Attachments

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
A photo of your stem would be handy, but they are prob. 1 1/8" threadless. When it comes to which ones, depends how deep your pockets are, more money, better forks. Suntour, Rockshox, Fox. Lots on Ebay. New fork usually come with a 300mm stem and you cut them down to suit.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
A photo of your stem would be handy, but they are prob. 1 1/8" threadless. When it comes to which ones, depends how deep your pockets are, more money, better forks. Suntour, Rockshox, Fox. Lots on Ebay. New fork usually come with a 300mm stem and you cut them down to suit.
Thanks mate.
Just been having a good look on eBay and it seems it will have to be a front disk fork as I can't find many new forks with V brake and disk option

This is the one I have my eye on
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/192463510093

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Drops will have failed due to stress fracture caused by hub torque, so you need beefy ali drop outs or steel ones.
Rockshoks are no good the ali will fail, been there done it :p.

Suntours with 60/70mm travel worked for me with 20a bpm and no issues with 3k miles, don't just rely on Torque washers you will need a pair of torque arms securely fixed and not by jubilee clips.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks mate.
Just been having a good look on eBay and it seems it will have to be a front disk fork as I can't find many new forks with V brake and disk option

This is the one I have my eye on
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/192463510093
No good I had a pair but 26" on mtb and both drops failed within 1k miles, there is no area to secure a TA directly.
No use using jube clips as there is just to much give.

With the Suntours they have a very nice thick flat triangulate area on them adj to the D/O, I made a pair of purpose made flat T/A's from 2mm or 3mm mild steel that fitted snuggly over the axle and shaped them to suit the flat area adj to them. To fix I tapped a M5 hole in the forks to secure the T'A's directly.

• Informative
Reactions: Twinkleten

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The lower travel 65mm forks tend to have mudguard mounts near the dropouts which the MTB ones don't, making fitting torque arms easier.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those are better similar to the ones I used, notice the meaty flat area above the drops. Ideal to make and a tap T/A's to, a one piece T/A secured is rock solid and there is no play or give in the fixing if you get the axle hole nigh on spot on ( the important bit being the flat edges to fit snuggly).

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
No good I had a pair but 26" on mtb and both drops failed within 1k miles, there is no area to secure a TA directly.
No use using jube clips as there is just to much give.

With the Suntours they have a very nice thick flat triangulate area on them adj to the D/O, I made a pair of purpose made flat T/A's from 2mm or 3mm mild steel that fitted snuggly over the axle and shaped them to suit the flat area adj to them. To fix I tapped a M5 hole in the forks to secure the T'A's directly.
I’m sooooo glad I asked you guys first.
I nearly hit the button and bought the RockShox.
I will check out the suntours now.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
These are 100mm, jump from 50mm to 100mm of travel will effect geometry of bike and handling. 63mm should be ok.

NB high unsprung mass of hub motor reduces ability of a fork to react to bumps. One of big downsides of front hub motors.

Going to fatter tyres and running them at lower pressures is another way to help smooth ride.

Magura HSxx hydraulic rim brakes are good alternative to disks if you can't get disk mount fork. They have optional brake switch, which you will need to kill motor.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
I’ve pressed the button and bought the suntour forks

So I have a torque arm that fits to one side of the forks already but it’s been suggested that I should fit one to both sides.

Are they a standard fit or would I need one specifically for my Ezee motor?

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for all the advice folks, she is now back on the road.
I have a busted ankle and the only exercise I can do at the moment is cycling. I was going insane without the bike and haven't been out for over a week.
There are still a few tweaks left to do but for now I'm back on the road

Attachments

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for all the advice folks, she is now back on the road.
I have a busted ankle and the only exercise I can do at the moment is cycling. I was going insane without the bike and haven't been out for over a week.
There are still a few tweaks left to do but for now I'm back on the road
Have you fitted a TA on the other side ?