I own a Nissan Leaf ev, and considering an electric bike

odbob

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 21, 2016
was going to build an electric bike, but thought better of it, maybe rather buy a complete package, and so I have this electric wheel which is not a lot of use to me, but I do not know it's origins, maybe someone here can recognise it$_14.jpg $_14.jpg ? there is a number stamped into the hub 32LG093475
Any help much appreciated

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20k for a car and you rent the battery?????

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
20k for a car and you rent the battery?????
No, circa £20k list price gets the Leaf with the battery included.

And in hunting around recently I had two quotes for a Leaf Visia including battery, brand new ex factory at £11,640. So no need to pay list prices.

Reactions: trex

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

need get a free can opener as well pmsl

Reactions: odbob

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i paid half that as bought 2nd hand;)

odbob

Mar 21, 2016
My Leaf cost £29k less gov incentive of £5k, and includes battery, I have owned it now for 5years this April, never given me a spot of bother will never go back to internal combustion engines.
Anyway, does anyone recognise the electric bicycle wheel that I mentioned in my first post.?

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's impossible to tell from your tiny image Bob, tried copying and expanding but it has very few pixels. If you could load a larger image we'd have a chance.

odbob

Mar 21, 2016
Thanks flecc, I will try to, but my age (73) somewhat interferes with my knowledge of computers, will have to ask my daughter

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Bob, it looks very much like the old style Powabyke brush motor like that in the Euro model. Here's the bike I mean, click it to enlarge. Probably someone else will confirm.

Last edited:

odbob

Mar 21, 2016
Flecc, Wow thanks, that was quick answer, I'll get rid of this wheel now then and start to consider which bike to purchase, thanks again

odbob

Mar 21, 2016
and for those interested, my Leaf achieves 3.49 miles to 1kw/hr, this is factual from figures obtained directly from my secondary electric meter. So I can safely say that my Leaf covers a 1,000 miles for 287 kw/hrs and at say 15 pence per kw/hr equals £43

Reactions: Jimod and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
and for those interested, my Leaf achieves 3.49 miles to 1kw/hr, this is factual from figures obtained directly from my secondary electric meter. So I can safely say that my Leaf covers a 1,000 miles for 287 kw/hrs and at say 15 pence per kw/hr equals £43
As it happens I've just got back from a Leaf Acenta test drive, enjoyable on this very sunny Spring afternoon.

Enjoy your research into the e-bike you find suits best.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Good to talk to someone who owns a Leaf. I assume the Leaf is all electric not a hybrid?
Can you operate electric Windows,air conditioning,stereo etc and still get a reasonable range?
Do you not suffer from range anxiety,especially on a motorway with heavy traffic?
What happens if you come home with an almost empty battery pack and someone says quick please drive me up to London (in my case 60 miles),can you recharge quickly?
I am told that a replacement battery pack is £17k?
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Pending Bob coming back in, as I'm currently looking at the Leaf car option I can post about the latest models specs.

I assume the Leaf is all electric not a hybrid?
Yes, it's all electric, battery choice of 24 kWh on any model or 30kWh option on upper two models, Acenta and Tekna

Can you operate electric Windows,air conditioning,stereo etc and still get a reasonable range?
Latest air con on upper two models now uses a heat pump to extract heat from the air, far more economical than direct electric heating and cooling. Therefore these additional usages now have quite small effect on range. In addition, the upper two models can pre-heat or cool the interior while plugged into the mains before driving. That can be controlled remotely from your smart phone or preset in an onboard timer.

What happens if you come home with an almost empty battery pack and someone says quick please drive me up to London (in my case 60 miles),can you recharge quickly?
If you install a home charging point and buy the Leaf with the optional 6.6 kW charger built in, a full charge takes four hours, Since the battery wouldn't be totally empty and you only need 60 miles, two and a half hours would be needed.

Alternatively, if you have a high speed charging point nearby, they can put in an 80% charge in 30 minutes, enough for 60 miles. Every IKEA store in the country has one and they are also at almost all motorway service points.

I am told that a replacement battery pack is £17k?
KudosDave
In the region of £5000 now. The 24 kWh battery is warrantied for five years to 75% capacity minimum, the newer 30 kWh for eight years to 75% capacity.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Tony...on the subject of electric cars I have a feeling we are not going to agree,but we are mature enough to see the others viewpoint.
I have never seen the point of an electric car....my accountant has a Prius,I suspect mainly for tax reasons and journeys into London...he shocked me when he admitted to only getting 23 mpg when charging on a motorway.
On My Tube,video 24.44 mins long there is a guy who has had a 2 year lease on a Leaf,about to return it,he had many reasons for returning it but they revolved around range anxiety and lack of charging points,especially quick chargers. He admitted that he had to change his daily driving pattern to accommodate the electric car.
Interestingly and relevant to us e-bikers,he said that on cold days the range plummeted from 80 to 50 miles,he doesn't make it clear whether that is because of heater usage or changes in the performance of the batteries.
He said that on very cold days (minus 2) he learnt to drive
conservatively on Eco mode and froze because he couldn't have the heater on.
He also said you had to be a very organised person,remembering to plug it in every night,he was late for work by 3 hours one day,when he forgot and drove round town to find a working supercharger,many of the chargers were not working.
I noticed that both the chargers on the services of the M42 were inoperative when I was last there and there were only 2 chargers,what do you do if both are taken,I think they charged £10 for a fill up.
OK I am a self confessed petrol head,but my sisters Hyundai i10 ,only cost 9k,it seems to run on vapours,she gets 60 plus mpg,it has every electric goodie that you can have on a car,including air cond,it is cheap road tax,no range anxiety....you could drive from London to Edinburgh without a refill.
I am told that they are great 2nd cars,but take the situation that your partner,in the primary car,needs to meet urgently 100 miles from home,you don't have the range to assist.
Coming back to the guys video it seemed to me he had to adapt his life just to accommodate the electric vehicle,the car should be our slave not the other way round.
Electric bikes have pedals to get us home,there can be no range anxiety,the £25mill that the UK government put into the Sunderland plant could have been so much better spent on say taking the vat off electric bikes and persuading us to cycle more.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tony...on the subject of electric cars I have a feeling we are not going to agree,but we are mature enough to see the others viewpoint.
I have never seen the point of an electric car....my accountant has a Prius,I suspect mainly for tax reasons and journeys into London...he shocked me when he admitted to only getting 23 mpg when charging on a motorway.
On My Tube,video 24.44 mins long there is a guy who has had a 2 year lease on a Leaf,about to return it,he had many reasons for returning it but they revolved around range anxiety and lack of charging points,especially quick chargers. He admitted that he had to change his daily driving pattern to accommodate the electric car.
Interestingly and relevant to us e-bikers,he said that on cold days the range plummeted from 80 to 50 miles,he doesn't make it clear whether that is because of heater usage or changes in the performance of the batteries.
He said that on very cold days (minus 2) he learnt to drive
conservatively on Eco mode and froze because he couldn't have the heater on.
He also said you had to be a very organised person,remembering to plug it in every night,he was late for work by 3 hours one day,when he forgot and drove round town to find a working supercharger,many of the chargers were not working.
I noticed that both the chargers on the services of the M42 were inoperative when I was last there and there were only 2 chargers,what do you do if both are taken,I think they charged £10 for a fill up.
OK I am a self confessed petrol head,but my sisters Hyundai i10 ,only cost 9k,it seems to run on vapours,she gets 60 plus mpg,it has every electric goodie that you can have on a car,including air cond,it is cheap road tax,no range anxiety....you could drive from London to Edinburgh without a refill.
I am told that they are great 2nd cars,but take the situation that your partner,in the primary car,needs to meet urgently 100 miles from home,you don't have the range to assist.
Coming back to the guys video it seemed to me he had to adapt his life just to accommodate the electric vehicle,the car should be our slave not the other way round.
Electric bikes have pedals to get us home,there can be no range anxiety,the £25mill that the UK government put into the Sunderland plant could have been so much better spent on say taking the vat off electric bikes and persuading us to cycle more.
KudosDave
I completely agree on all the negatives Dave, I don't think full electrics make any sense and so-called hybrids like the earlier Prius are simply petrol cars which if driven a certain way can return a slightly higher mpg.

True hybrids like the BMW i3, Chevrolet Volt etc do make sense since they mainly run off the mains but have charging engines which extend the range indefinitely.

The only reasons I'm considering the Leaf are that I now only do fairly local mileage, I can afford one and it is a beguiling drive in local conditions. Silence better than a Rolls Royce with Bentley like acceleration from 0 to 40mph or so. That's easy to fall in love with.

Last edited:

odbob

Mar 21, 2016
KudosDave, sorry, short reply, got to go out again. The answers to your questions.
The heating/cooling, can lop up to 20 miles off the range
No, I very rarely suffer range anxiety, but I can understand that some drivers can.
If someone suddenly needs to travel a distance, when the battery is exhausted, then, the only option is a quick charge at the local charge point, assuming there is one, mine is just 2 mile away, 30 minutes to charge to 80%, about 70 miles worth.
I could, and might say a lot more later

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
KudosDave, sorry, short reply, got to go out again. The answers to your questions.
The heating/cooling, can lop up to 20 miles off the range
No, I very rarely suffer range anxiety, but I can understand that some drivers can.
If someone suddenly needs to travel a distance, when the battery is exhausted, then, the only option is a quick charge at the local charge point, assuming there is one, mine is just 2 mile away, 30 minutes to charge to 80%, about 70 miles worth.
I could, and might say a lot more later
OdBob...very honest reply,after I made my posting I thought I was a bit unfair, someone's poison can be another's sweet.
I thought I better reach for the flac jacket!!!!!
It's just all this green stuff seems so politically driven....offshore wind farms,PV panels,fuel taxes on long range business flights (my personal hate),subsidies on electric vehicles....if it's all so good why does it need such big subsidies to get it going?
Now that the Liberals (remember them?) and Green Party (who were they?)have lost their power, notice how Osborne is exiting all the subsidies as fast as he can...it's now so last year.
The local scrap dealer near us is already trying to figure out how he can get all that offshore scrap ashore and make a profit....in Ramsgate harbour there is a fleet of boats and engineers constantly trying to keep the windmills turning,it must cost a fortune.
KudosDave