I see your cheating then!

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Riding along tonight in eco and passed a guy that i said hello to. Heard him say ah your cheating then in a definite manner :mad:(first time this has happened to me).

Don't think he thought i'd bite n stop. Bet he wished i hadn't after i put him straight!!!!!.

Told him to look me up on strava if he thought i was cheating and have a look at some of the KOM's . times i'd got some time ago when i was in a roadie club.
In effect KOM's mean very little, but I'm sure i was having a hell of a lot more fun than him on my e-bike and if he wanted to remain a luddite that was up too him, but i wasn't cheating anyone.

He was shell shocked and said nothing.

Having a bad day at work doesn't help;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just be careful that you don't become confrontational and argumentative just to prove your point. Sometimes I think we are in danger of becoming the oposite of them by feeling the need to defend our use of ebikes which makes us as bad as them.. not that it's an us and them situation. I consider those that cry cheating are future ebikers... they just don't know it yet.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The normal riders I speak to are happy I just get out and not rot in front of the TV.
The very fast ones don't speak.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Even when you pass them on hills? [emoji13]
Not a hope, they are fast. I don't even try to keep anymore.
I remember chatting to some stragglers while passing, the leaders had stopped. One thought he could have fun and rode one inch from my back wheel, having a mirror I could see. So I upped the power, changed down and made him work. I thought he was having a heart attack, he wasn't going to give up if he could help it but had to stop when totally exhausted.

The fast ones I'm talking of I'd have less chance than the one behind me.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

As I've said before, "Who am I cheating then?" normally ties their tongue pretty quickly. Then, if they're on a road bike, I normally follow up with, "Is it cheating to use a lightweight bike with thin tyres?" and "Is it cheating to wear wind-cheating clothing like lycra?", "Are those pedals clipless?". Then I bore them by giving a lecture on different ways to reduce energy input while cycling. If they're just a normal guy on a normal bike, puffing against the wind, I normally ask if they've tried an electric bike. Very occasionally, depending on my judgement, I let them have a go on mine. Turning the power down to level zero and then asking if they want to swap bikes for a bit would be fun.

The best one I did was when a guy figured out that I was going too fast too easily but didn't know why. He knew I was "cheating", but he wanted to know how, so I told him that I had a gravity tilter. "How does that work then?" "Simple", I said; "See that lever? When I press it, the gravity tilter in the bag behind the seat sends out a field that tilts gravity by about 10 deg, so I roll down the hill. Watch". Then the lights changed, so I pressed the lever and rolled away as I waved him goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Agree with comments here. I did bite, but even my local mtb club are great with e-bike acceptance. The "leader" of the club said I was welcome to join them anytime, and even stated these bikes are the future of cycling in one form or another.
I can see a time when motors are small, cheaper, lighter and much more efficient. Why wouldn't you want one then even if just for emergencies. :)

Reactions: LeighPing

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I've had this a few times.
Ask them if they use a TV remote or do they walk to the TV and use
the buttons under the flap.
Or if they use the stairs instead of the elevator to get to thier office, or a brace and bit instead of an electric drill for the weekend DIY project. If not, then why are they cheating??
Do these same people also feel cheated when they pay good money to see a band only to discover they use electric guitars
Me thinks it's time for some people to come out of the cave and evolve

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In fairness to the other side, there is an issue about the purity of human endeavour, and the use of a motor does affect that aspect. Just look at the media storm when a female race cyclist was suspected of using a concealed motor. Of course that is a sport use, so like using performance enhancing drugs is unacceptable.

But how far is the use of enhancements acceptable in other circumstances? For example, in 1978 two mountaineers climbed Everest without using oxygen, proving for the first time that it could be done. Therefore one might say that all the climbers before and since who used the technology of oxygen equipment were cheating. Should they be in the record books?

If you think that is acceptable, at what point do you draw the line at using technology? If I go to the top in a helicopter, that's also using technology to reach the summit of Everest, so should I be included in the list of those who reached the summit?

Ultimately the use of technical aids is all cheating, or none of it is.

• Agree
Reactions: D C and LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
In fairness to the other side, there is an issue about the purity of human endeavour, and the use of a motor does affect that aspect. Just look at the media storm when a female race cyclist was suspected of using a concealed motor. Of course that is a sport use, so like using performance enhancing drugs is unacceptable.

But how far is the use of enhancements acceptable in other circumstances? For example, in 1978 two mountaineers climbed Everest without using oxygen, proving for the first time that it could be done. Therefore one might say that all the climbers before and since who used the technology of oxygen equipment were cheating. Should they be in the record books?

If you think that is acceptable, at what point do you draw the line at using technology? If I go to the top in a helicopter, that's also using technology to reach the summit of Everest, so should I be included in the list of those who reached the summit?

Ultimately the use of technical aids is all cheating, or none of it is.
Agree to a point, but i'm not saying i want to be included in the purity of human endeavour when it comes to cycling, hence don't say i'm cheating.
I think you get the point!

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi when i get home of a ride daughters might lift their heads from thier phones and say how far then dad. or about 25miles i annswer.Yeah but thats cheating they say. Yeah but i enjoyed it better than staying in id answer.Maybe it is cheating but wtf i like it.Although to be honest when i get my normal bike out it can seem hard work.But riding my normal bike is easier than it was before due to extra miles i do on the ebike.

powerfly

Just Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Walsall
I have a Trek eMTB and also a Boardman 29er. I use both of my bikes but for different rides. I use the eMTB for my adventurous routes like Church Stretton and Cannock chase and i use the 29er for a quick blast after work. When on the eMTB i have had a few funny looks and a couple of cheating comments. When this happens i try to engage in a conversation and then let them have a blast on the eMTB after 5 minutes you can see thier views have changed. I am 45 years old and a good hill has me blowing out my arse. I personally feel a eMTB with assisted help to 15mph just takes the edge off the hills on the trails i am travelling over 15mph so don't have the assistance. This sunday i came across a man on a full suspension normal bike and he was fast i managed to stay with him throughout the one trail and he pulled over and said " no one normally manages to stay with me " he gestured me to follow him down the next trail so i did. 2 trails later i was still glued to his back tyre and he pulled over and said " you are really quick" i then broke it to him that i had a battery..... his face was a picture. I offered him a go and he excepted he jumped on and said "what button do i push to make it go ". You have to pedal it i said he had a little ride and when he returned he was very impressed and was not what he expected. I think E Bikes will only get more and more popular. People that have injuries or are a little mature will appreciate the benefits of an eBike.

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
Any technology is "cheating".
Let's get back to running through the forests naked.
The problem is cultural perception. In somewhere like the Netherlands cycling is utilitarian transport but in the U.K. Cycling clubs perpetuate the myth that everyone should be the next Bradley Wiggins.
I now commute to work on an Oxydrive hybrid conversion and keep up with my son and his mates at weekends on an eMTB.
Activities at my age,56, my father would never have contemplated.
By the way we get the same snobbery with boats in this country buts that's another story [emoji10]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Gave my son's MTB school group and parents ago in weekend. Most had same question about how to make it go. Kids were converts, they are all about going downhill, climbs are a necessary evil which eBikes make fun. The parents all came back impressed but maybe not all converts.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Ive had comments ,like is that electrick ,how much ,and ot course does it charge itself,.but really just people interested. To be honest some or most of the ebikes ive seen are well designed and hide the batterys well .The fact im off at 15mph up a steep hill gives it away.

Related Articles

Advertisers