If you hate ebikers and e bikes don't look at this .

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Don't kid yourself about Italian premium brands. I had a Colnago C59 with Campy super EPS, very expensive and when things went wrong it was a nightmare.
One day the EPS decided not to work, it took 6 weeks to fix as the Itlian factory was on summer shut down for nearly 4 weeks. I vowed not to buy Italian stuff ever again. If I was to buy a good carbon road bike it would be the s works tarmac 5, unless the 6 is out now.

Monoblock

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
This only makes sense if it's deristricted - if you are going go to 15mph then you may as well do on the comfort of a mountain bike - unless I guess you consider it an unpowered bike until you get to a big hill

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My point wasn't about the range possibilities, or even the look and feel of it.. Its just that the type of person who rides brands like this would be mortified to come across someone on an electric version. I can almost see them at the traffic lights trying to put distance between their bike and IT in case it was contagious..

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

I mist admit that I can't see the sense in a 25km/h electric road bike, except if somebody had a long commute and wanted to keep up a high average speed.

Still, each to their own!

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: jwm and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I mist admit that I can't see the sense in a 25km/h electric road bike.
I don't think that you are alone with that opinion, and it is certainly one that I have read time and time again.

Thinking about it further, you would have be a very fit rider to go on say a weekend club ride with the bike. I have no idea what the average speed is of a club cyclist, but I'm guessing that it would certainly be more than 25km/h

The type of rider using a bike such as above, would surely be a rider that is either older, unfit, or has an injury/disability. Unless on a solo ride, they just aren't going to be able to keep pace.

I hate riding on the road, but I'd still like to try one for the experience, or even better, to prove my self wrong..

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I don't think that you are alone with that opinion, and it is certainly one that I have read time and time again.

Thinking about it further, you would have be a very fit rider to go on say a weekend club ride with the bike. I have no idea what the average speed is of a club cyclist, but I'm guessing that it would certainly be more than 25km/h

The type of rider using a bike such as above, would surely be a rider that is either older, unfit, or has an injury/disability. Unless on a solo ride, they just aren't going to be able to keep pace.

I hate riding on the road, but I'd still like to try one for the experience, or even better, to prove my self wrong..
I think a bike with around a 1/3rd of the power available at all speeds would allow less fit/ older/ illness riders to keep up on a club ride. No e-bike is going to keep up with sub 8 kg bikes on 25 mm tyres unless powered above 25 kmh.

This is typical of my old club doing a fairly social Sunday ride. over 17 mph despite the hills https://www.strava.com/activities/1447624571

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I think a bike with around a 1/3rd of the power available at all speeds would allow less fit/ older/ illness riders to keep up on a club ride. No e-bike is going to keep up with sub 8 kg bikes on 25 mm tyres unless powered above 25 kmh.

This is typical of my old club doing a fairly social Sunday ride. over 17 mph despite the hills https://www.strava.com/activities/1447624571
i can over take them but i wont get much more than 23 miles out of the batt doing it :(

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have a similar bike. I like road riding on a racing style bike but due to my age and history I couldn't keep up with a club ride on a normal bike, and if I could I would be dropped at the first hill and anyone able to keep up on club rides doesn't need an e-bike and wouldn't want the weight disadvantage either..
As one who likes this style of bike and has ridden one for 3600km I cant understand why a club rider would be a target customer as its just totally the wrong bike and as Artstu says they dont often ride at sub 17mph averages so speeds of 20+MPH are the norm. The target customer for this bike is someone like me.. 70 years old, fitter than average but no cycling history yet not ready to be consigned to a step through!

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
On that basis, I really don't get the drop bar riding position. Surely it is always going to be more comfortable and practical to ride a bike with flat bars, and a less radical position, especially when age isn't on your side.

As much as I love the looks, I just can't see a use for a drop bar ebike, with that kind of geometry.

I'm just reminded of the way that motorcyclist's buy super bikes, when they couldn't be further from what the rider should actually be buying. Vanity above practicality.

I guess that I need to try one, to see if I can make sense of it. :)

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
On that basis, I really don't get the drop bar riding position. Surely it is always going to be more comfortable and practical to ride a bike with flat bars, and a less radical position, especially when age isn't on your side.

As much as I love the looks, I just can't see a use for a drop bar ebike, with that kind of geometry.

I'm just reminded of the way that motorcyclist's buy super bikes, when they couldn't be further from what the rider should actually be buying. Vanity above practicality.
To start with many years ago I damaged my left thumb joint and now suffer painful arthritis in it. What this means when riding with flat bars is I cant grip the left side with my thumb opposing my fingers under the grip in the normal way so I have to leave my thumb on top with my fingers like they are all in a big finger less mitten and whilest I can grip normally, as you have to at times, its annoyingly painful after a short while. Again on flat bars am unable to operate a left gear changer that needs my thumb to push a lever so an ebike is really good there, but with drop bars I dont have an issue with either.
But to put it into perspective... I really like it! Dont know why but I do.. So its a little like those who enjoy going out and getting plastered with mud and crap to later spend an hour or more cleaning it off before doing it again the next day, and like you EddiePJ saying you would like to try a drop bar ebike.. well I tried the mud and crap and didnt really like it.
From a marketing point of view these road ebikes are popping up all over the place so the manufacturers must feel there is a market out there for them or they would bother to make them.
Interesting your comment on motor cycles as I fall into that catergorie as well.. That is to say that I always bought the plastic clad head down arse up sort of bike rather than a more a more sensible one.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Interesting your comment on motor cycles as I fall into that catergorie as well.. That is to say that I always bought the plastic clad head down arse up sort of bike rather than a more a more sensible one.
Don't worry, I have always been the same in that respect, then curse any ride over 70 miles! :D

Transferring that to cycles, we should all be riding sit up and beg bikes with wrap around handlebars. Sadly, practically of use and comfort, isn't a very British thing.
The best bike that I have ridden on the road, was exactly the above, and even had a step through frame.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I would have thought that for most people a hybrid type bike would be much more versatile. Derestricted 0r as an S-pedelec, that bike makes more sense, though I'd want it lighter and with a hub-motor, which I think would suit it much more than the tractor engine in it,