Ikea Sladda e-conversion?

TheInfovore

Just Joined
Jan 21, 2017
San Diego, CA
First time poster. Ikea's latest bike, the Sladda, is starting to become available here in the US now. I like the design, the accessories, and what all you get for the price. I was thinking of converting it to electric since I'm not entirely committed to the Automatix hub anyway. Do you think this could/should be a good starter to then add electric? If so, which options do you think might work best? Thanks for any help.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Ultimately any bike is a starting base, easiest conversion with the bike from Ikea is a front wheel conversion and whack the battery and electrics on the front, unless you want to stick some of the weight over the back moving the battery to the rear rack or pannier.

John

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You will have a problem with the belt drive which means front hub motor only.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It isn't a Gates belt. If you can find the bits go for it. I have looked at the bike up close and I wasn't overwhelmed, nice bike but there are lots of nicer ones.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It is relatively easy for suppliers like ourselves to supply an inexpensive bottom bracket solution for belt drive bikes if the market is large enough.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
3 Wh per km!!! It must be kinda flat where he lives... Oh yeah, Toronto, Great Plains... 6 Wh against the wind on the snow at minus godawful temperatures.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
on the snow at minus godawful temperatures.
He does mention the rear fish-tailing but I wonder how much that has to do with the fact he mounted his battery on the rear rack. When I first tried that location for a battery on my bike, the back wheel would lock up when braking and that was on dry pavement, I moved it to where the bottle cage had been on the down tube where it's better balanced. Mind you the Ikea bike has a rear coaster brake and that might be contributing. I wonder if he added the optional trailer if that might help?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I used to have a VW Beetle, it would climb any snow covered road you just needed a well covered mate to stand on the rear bumper (Translation: fender :D). On snow you need weight over the driving wheels so the battery back there should be helping with traction.

I had an off on my Honda Spacy scooter on fresh snow where fishtailing seemed to be a feature, not an option, no matter how carefully I dosed the power. It seems to be a two wheeler thing - look at MC bikes racing on the sand (Le Touquet) for another example.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
On snow you need weight over the driving wheels.
He has a front wheel hub motor and uses the front rack to hold his bag so that appears to be enough weight over the driving wheel to pull him through the snow. Your Honda and the VW would have both been rear wheel drive, not surprised the Beetle coped well as it's been so popular as a beach buggy chassis.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Aren't they the German company which doesn't make its tyres in Indonesia? :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
It's gotta be embarrassing for Continental to mess up their relationship with the launch customer of their belt drive product. I hope this recall experience doesn't put Ikea off the idea of selling bicycles, they sell an ebike in some Nordic markets the Folkvanlig in step through and folding models, I was hoping if Sladda was a success they might think about expanding their bike line.