I'm looking for a decent budget commuter ebike in France ..any recommendations please?

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
I'm over in france and my" Uncle in law " is desperate to buy an ebike and was going to press the button on a crappy supermarket deal until i stopped him . Does anyone know of anything reasonable at the budget end available in France ..Decathlon or elsewhere? basic commuter type rather than sport model preferred.
thanks in advance
Bill

D

Deleted member 4366

Nothing wrong with the crappy supermarket bikes. They all work and they're all dead easy to fix when they go wrong.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
we're in the North east nr Nancy/strasbourg /german border. The bike he was going to buy was 650 euros with lead acid battery and 24 volts I think. 6 months warranty on battery. Just found the same for 379 euro online! presume at these prices they're unlikely to be a good ride or durable surely.I have a bosch mid drive myself and many nice bikes built myself from 2nd hand quality stuff...hate to encourage anyone to buy super cheap unless they have to. It's not too hilly around here apart from a few distant mountains but he'd like 50km capacity assisted really.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In Norauto you can get a bike with a LiIon battery for about 650€, Decathlon best value for money is the Original 700 which is 1100€. What about Germany?

The Norauto bike will need a new front brake otherwise it is OK with a Bafang hub motor and a no name 8 Ah 36 V battery.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm over in france and my" Uncle in law " is desperate to buy an ebike and was going to press the button on a crappy supermarket deal until i stopped him . Does anyone know of anything reasonable at the budget end available in France ..Decathlon or elsewhere? basic commuter type rather than sport model preferred.
thanks in advance
Bill
. You did him a great favour in stopping him purchasing an overpriced relic. I have been in a number of supermarkets and car shops here in France over the last fortnight. Any of the major supermarket chains Carrefour, intermarch Eleclerc have a number of ebikes , with Li ion 36 V batteries, at the 600 to 800 euro level. Their underlying bikes are the typical 180 to 220 bikes which are very adaquate for sustained light use.... I am still using one of these bikes bought in 2006.
I noticed that Nord auto have basically three ranges. The 24v lead acid type which they are selling off at about 400 euro, and a range of better ones from 600 upwards. Interestingly they allow choice of battery capacity in the li ion range , at extra cost.
In any event I would be confident in buying from any of the major supermarket chains.. French SAV after sales service is good.
Note also that the French government is refunding up to 200 euro, on the purchase of non lead battery powered ebikes. .. and the supermarkets are very clued up on it. So if your uncle has residence it might be worth examining.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
we're in the North east nr Nancy/strasbourg /german border. The bike he was going to buy was 650 euros with lead acid battery and 24 volts I think. 6 months warranty on battery. Just found the same for 379 euro online! presume at these prices they're unlikely to be a good ride or durable surely.I have a bosch mid drive myself and many nice bikes built myself from 2nd hand quality stuff...hate to encourage anyone to buy super cheap unless they have to. It's not too hilly around here apart from a few distant mountains but he'd like 50km capacity assisted really.

.. I had a look in a declaton store today and they have decent range. Non electric bikes start at about 120, and electric at 699 to 1199. For 36 V 11amp HR with Samsung battery. The lower cost ones have 8 amp hr. . They look very well finished. And available in male and unisex versions..