Im torn between two...

Didds

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
Hi guys,

I am a newbie the electric bikes and cant wait to get on the road.

Being a man of let's say stocky build! and 6ft tall and living in a hilly area in south Somerset I am not sure what bike to get.

The Oxygen S-cross Mtb and the Woosh big bear.

I really like the looks of the Oxygen but it has to be practical and work for me too. It is quite hilly around here and I am not that fit so would like all the help with the hills that I can get.

I will be travelling to peoples houses within a 10 mile radius for work on it.

The oxygen is around £500 more than the bear and I read that it can be unrestricted for some off road fun.

I would be greatfull of any help you can offer on this. I have just sold my old van today with the plan on replacing it with an electric bike :)

Thanks Didds

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
The speed limiter can be turned off on the Woosh Big Bear very easily on the LCD. Its a 30 second job or less.
Between the two bikes, the Big Bear is probably the better hill climber. It has a very powerful high-torque BPM motor alongside a 20a controller and 15ah battery. As I mentioned in a different thread, the climbing ability of the Big Bear is as good as you can find among legal hub drive bikes.
On the Oxygen site, it isn't clear which motor the Oxygen bike specifically has. It just says it is a high-torque 8-fun motor. I've heard that the controller on the Oxygen is only 16 amps. It is likely therefore that the Oxygen bike has significantly poorer climbing ability than the Big Bear.
The Oxygen probably has the higher unrestricted top speed along the flat of the two bikes. I'd also have to say that I like the appearance of the Oxygen a lot. It is a very trendy and neat looking bike. It is also only 22kg in weight, whereas the Big Bear is 26kg.
As you say, the Big Bear is £500 cheaper than the Oxygen.
To conclude, both are good bikes, although if it were me, I'd say the Big Bear is the better option to go for.

Last edited:

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Hills plus six foot height (and presuming you are not a beanpole guy who weighs what an average 5 9 guy weighs)

I concur, go for the Woosh

Using any bike unrestricted will hurt your range. 15ah should be fine for both ways. A 10ah may not be. Though spare chargers are cheap on the Chinese slow boat (around a tenner )

Didds

Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
Great answers, thank you.

Im not a bean pole, im between 16 and 17 stone varies a lot.

Do you know of any online shops that offer finance on the big bear ? There are a few that do 0% on the Oxygen I have found.

I am still being pulled towards the Oxygen mainly because of its looks I think but every review/video I read and watch says the bear is better suited. Anything else I could throw in to the mix that might help ?
Carrera Crossfire-E was the first one I looked at but many people say it cuts out and that put me off.

Thanks again

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
The £500 saving on the Whoosh makes it a no brainer. You could use that for a spare battery, panniers etc.

D

Deleted member 4366

The answer comes down to weight and hills. For anyone over 100kg that has steepish hills, the Big Bear wins. Below that weight, the Oxygen would have enough power, and it's a lot faster - and generally nicer to ride.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Didds

Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
The answer comes down to weight and hills. For anyone over 100kg that has steepish hills, the Big Bear wins. Below that weight, the Oxygen would have enough power, and it's a lot faster - and generally nicer to ride.
aahhhhaahhh, I am 108kg. The hills are quite steep not sure on the % of them but they are not that long maybe 500yrds of steep. I am drawn towards the Oxygen but this Big Bear keeps getting in the way!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

aahhhhaahhh, I am 108kg. The hills are quite steep not sure on the % of them but they are not that long maybe 500yrds of steep. I am drawn towards the Oxygen but this Big Bear keeps getting in the way!!
If you can cycle those hills on a normal bike without power, the Oxygen might still be OK. If not, then the Big Bear wants to give you a hug.

I was 105kg at Xmas. Now I'm 81kg and any crappy ebike feels powerful. You can do it too. Like stopping smoking, you only have to decide to do it and stick with your decision.

Didds

Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
take a look at the Woosh Rio MTB with 17AH battery.
We can fit a £30 rack to your bike if required.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb
I like the look of this one, maybe this could be the one...
I was hoping to put a lump sum down on a bike and pay the rest via finance but Woosh do not offer any finance options so I may have to wait if I want ot buy a Woosh bike.

Didds

Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
If you can cycle those hills on a normal bike without power, the Oxygen might still be OK. If not, then the Big Bear wants to give you a hug.

I was 105kg at Xmas. Now I'm 81kg and any crappy ebike feels powerful. You can do it too. Like stopping smoking, you only have to decide to do it and stick with your decision.
I'm pretty active I walk the dog twice a day and have a couple of young kids to chase around! I could cycle up the hills yes but I might not feel so good when I got to the top! The hills here are short and steep followed by either flat or downhill. I can lose weight quickly im 108 now due to a summer of bbq and cider :)

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
You could also consider a conversion kit such as the SWX02 rear hub kit that Woosh provide: http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

A bike fitted with the SWX02 kit would be well suited for a rider over 100kg, and would have plenty of grunt for tackling the hills. It is £529 with a 13ah battery, or £589 with a 15ah one. Definitely a lot less expensive than a ready-made bike.

Didds

Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
You could also consider a conversion kit such as the SWX02 rear hub kit that Woosh provide: http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

A bike fitted with the SWX02 kit would be well suited for a rider over 100kg, and would have plenty of grunt for tackling the hills. It is £529 with a 13ah battery, or £589 with a 15ah one. Definitely a lot less expensive than a ready-made bike.
I have thought about a conversion kit as I have a Claud Butler Rock sitting in my shed but then I thought about fitting it all and wires and brakes etc and then started looking at actual bikes made for the job. Thanks though

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Dids, I've got the Oxygen scross Mtb. I'm.also 17 stone. The biggest hill around here is called Shooters hill. Near Welling south London.

I gave it a go and nearly made it right to the top. Just the end bit I got off.

However members on here have since informed.me that it's an average of about 5.9. But peaks at nearly 10. Funny enough I drove over it today and took notice of the last quarter. It really is steep. That was the but where I didn't feel the motor was helping. Anything less steep it has handled with ease.

Didds

Sep 24, 2017
Somerset
combewoodcomputers.co.uk
Dids, I've got the Oxygen scross Mtb. I'm.also 17 stone. The biggest hill around here is called Shooters hill. Near Welling south London.

I gave it a go and nearly made it right to the top. Just the end bit I got off.

However members on here have since informed.me that it's an average of about 5.9. But peaks at nearly 10. Funny enough I drove over it today and took notice of the last quarter. It really is steep. That was the but where I didn't feel the motor was helping. Anything less steep it has handled with ease.
That is interesting and the type of thing I am looking for. I am still undeceided about the bikes if im honest. It will be one or the other thats for sure.
Thanks for the input loving all the answers