Imposing Speed Limits

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Recently been looking round new cars and have been surprised how many are offering traffic sign recognition systems. (Maybe only top-end models - but quite a number.)

Can't help but anticipate people imposing their own speed limits if these systems are unable to distinguish between official and "fake" signs. I remember seeing many demonstrations reported after deaths and injuries near schools - parents and others demanding lower limits. Perhaps now they would create visually accurate signs at whatever limit they want?

I guess this effect could even happen by someone wearing their birthday T-shirt...

upload_2018-4-22_8-19-36.jpeg

https://www.zazzle.co.uk/20th_birthday_joke_20_road_sign_speed_limit_t_shirt-235079018041769702

How long till bike shops start selling lycra with signs printed? :)

Although obviously this is something of a joke. I really do wonder at the ability of these systems to cope with all the various things that could interfere. For example, adverts on bus shelters. Or this in Turkey:

Will depictions of speed limit signs in public be banned?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and D C

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I suspect it will only sound a warning of sorts and like sat nav systems.. a small amount of common sense is needed.. sadly lacking in some drivers...
I agree that some systems seem just to display - and maybe warn. But the descriptions of others appear to say that they are linked to speed control systems (cruise control) and automatically adjust, albeit with override.

Also strikes me that a difficult situation is where we have 30mph limits just because of the presence of street lighting. I wonder whether any can properly and reliably detect such zones? Maybe will will see 30mph signs installed everywhere and get away from what always seems an anomalous state?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I know someone who has I think its called adaptive cruise control and he says its good. If set at say 70 on a motorway and you gradually catch up with another car it will adjust itself so match tthe speed of the vehicle in front. I must admit to being mildly irked by this when happily using cruise control on the motorway at a sensible speed when someone overtakes and then slows down marginally forcing me to make adjustments or pull out and overtake them.
My car has many "driver aids" Most of which are at best distracting and at worst downright dangerous so I dont use them except for the reversing sensors and Cruise Control which is may favourite... I use it mainly in speed limited areas and being an automatic it doesn't care what gear I am in or if there is a change in gradient, so I think I would like adaptive cruise control, but as for the rest of it.. I hope its all optional!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe will will see 30mph signs installed everywhere and get away from what always seems an anomalous state?
That would be a luxury. The borough I live in is one of London's two largest, with a population larger than most UK towns and cities. We now have a near universal 20 mph limit. The few through roads are mostly 30 mph limited but every exit from them is graced with 20 signs, a forest of thousands of the things everywhere. I hate to think how much their installation cost the cash starved council.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I am afraid of using cruise control in case I fall asleep.
Anything more sophisticated such as the adaptive mode seems to me to be downright dangerous and utterly unnecessary.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I know someone who has I think its called adaptive cruise control and he says its good.
I too say it is good. Indeed, it is excellent. Use it a lot.

Although it is obvious to suggest it could result in lack of attention, I actually find the opposite. I am free to look everywhere without dropping my eyes to the speedo.

Car also has a tiredness detector so, hopefully, if it thought I wasn't behaving within its parameters, it would let me know.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anything more sophisticated such as the adaptive mode seems to me to be downright dangerous and utterly unnecessary.
Choosing adaptive cruise control brought with it an impending crash detection system (seems to be AEB nowadays) - I think the hardware for adaptive makes AEB a "simple" addition - probably software.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Never had that problem... for me it's as I enter a 30 zone I watch the Speedo till it gets to 30 and the just push the button. Then it is programmed in so it's just a case of toggling the lever/stalk on and off as and when necessary. Without this I find it's all to easy to creep up to 35 especially when it's not busy. For motorway roadworks 50 and average speed zones it's essential.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Never had that problem... for me it's as I enter a 30 zone I watch the Speedo till it gets to 30 and the just push the button. Then it is programmed in so it's just a case of toggling the lever/stalk on and off as and when necessary. Without this I find it's all to easy to creep up to 35 especially when it's not busy. For motorway roadworks 50 and average speed zones it's essential.
The M4 near Port Talbot has a fair stretch of permanent 50mph. I just set it and let the car manage speed. Amazing how many people cannot keep to 50mph - most sail into the restriction way over, and many go well under for some of it. Even though I don't have to, I do think I can manage it quite well if I have to.

Mine says minimum effective speed is 26mph in documentation but it actually works lower. Haven't yet worked out what its true minimum is.

(Just corrected myself - it is, of course, the M4 - not the M40.)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For motorway roadworks 50 and average speed zones it's essential.
Do average speed zones really exist, and if they do, are they really policed?

I can't remember how many times in the early hours when the motorway was fairly empty that it was cruised at a steady 95 to 100 mph through the long M3 average speed zone.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

I can't remember how many times in the early hours when the motorway was fairly empty that it was cruised at a steady 95 to 100 mph through the long M3 average speed zone.
Yes in Spain. Yes they do work, she has received a nice letter with a 95€ fine :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes in Spain. Yes they do work, she has received a nice letter with a 95€ fine :D
Makes a nice change. We strictly enforce the fishing quotas while Spain's disregard of them means even channel swimmers aren't safe.

For once this seems to be the opposite, average speed zones often ignored here but not there.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

What I can tell you is that most drivers very significantly reduce speed through the Port Talbot. 50 a day were caught when it was established.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-33135595

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What I can tell you is that most drivers very significantly reduce speed through the Port Talbot. 50 a day were caught when it was established.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-33135595
I can imagine that would happen when it was first introduced.

But it sure didn't apply in Hampshire over a number of years from 2005 onwards. Unless of course it was only switched on daytimes sometime after 7 am. I like to drive long distances very early at speed when there's little traffic about.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I can imagine that would happen when it was first introduced.
July 2017 story said:

4648 - M4 Port Talbot west (average speed cameras)

3034 - M4 Port Talbot east (average speed cameras)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/swansea-speed-camera-snapped-2000-13394100

The simple fact that such a large proportion of drivers do slow down suggests to me that drivers generally believe that there is a significant chance of getting caught. Whether that is indeed the case is another matter.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers