Increasing the range on my Zephyr CDN

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
If i fitted this new 36v 15AH HL Battery, which comes with a fixing bracket, to my Woosh Zephyr CDN. Would i be able to simply plug this second battery into the charging socket on the bike when the battery (which is in the frame) runs out of power? woosh.jpg

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, but how are you going to fit the spare battery though?

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
yes, but how are you going to fit the spare battery though?
I am quite mechanically minded. I will either fit it to the rear rack which i've fitted, the main cross-bar or the seat-post. I will need to solder on a L shaped plug onto the output leads. Would this work, just plugging it into the existing charging point on bike to gain more range?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, that will work but would you need 15AH? I would have thought that the 11.6AH would be plenty.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
yes, that will work but would you need 15AH? I would have thought that the 11.6AH would be plenty.
I would certainly have plenty of power with the 15AH to use the higher setting on the bike more often than i do now. At present i have to keep it on No.2 setting and keep enough power to use it on No.5 for the very steep homeward hills. The battery is sold by Woosh at £315 inc delivery which seems like a good buy. It's either that or buy a Big Bear at £600 more. Another question.... which goes up hills the best, a Zephyr CDN or a Big Bear???

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Big Bear or zephyr-B.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's a jack type but you don't find them normally on ebay. Ask Andy @ woosh to make the lead for you.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
No, cannot find one on Ebay. I've already queried at Woosh but they cannot help. I will try my local electrical. Don't know the exact name / size so i will take along my charger as it will be the same one as on there but L shaped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

You cannot plug that battery into your charge socket. You need a cross-over switch between the batteries and the controller, which won't be easy on that bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
d8veh may be thinking of paralleling the two batteries whereas your idea is using the second battery to balance charge the zephyr CDN's own battery.
Both methods work but yours is simpler to do.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
d8veh may be thinking of paralleling the two batteries whereas your idea is using the second battery to balance charge the zephyr CDN's own battery.
My idea was to fit the second battery and plug it into the charging socket to add charge to the first battery when the power drops. Will the second battery add its power to the first battery as the first battery power drops? Is this quite safe to do?

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't have have an electric bike where you use the motor to drive the bike with a dynamo that charges the battery. To charge the battery at 2.5 amps will take about 5 hours. That's 100w, which is about normal pedalling power, but if you used that energy to charge your battery, you wouldn't have any left to propel the bike.

Some bikes have a regeneration system that can collect some energy when you go down a steep hill or use the brakes, but for that, you can't have a free-wheeling motor, which can make your bike unpleasant to ride and the amount of energy recovered is insignificant. That's why they're not popular.

The only thing you can do, as far as I know, is pull out your controller and splice a pair of wires into the two red and black main power wires to it. Then, drill a hole in your frame to bring them out, which will allow you to connect another battery in parallel. It's possible that you might be able to bring them out through an existing hole where the other wires come out. You can only connect another battery when they're at the same voltage, which normally means when both are fully charged. You cannot charge the bike while the second battery is connected, so the second one has to be charged separately.

D

Deleted member 4366

That won't work. It'll damage the cells by charging to fast. When he gives full power, 7 amps will go through that charge socket. That's if they start at the same voltage. If they're at a different voltage, by bye BMS.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
What about if i removed the existing 2-part battery from the frame and discarded it. Then fitted this new 15AH battery and rack. Would the existing controller be ok to use with the new 15AH battery?
I have found this 36v 15AH battery and rack which i could easily fit. Price £249.99IMG000043873.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You can't fit a normal rack battery to your bike because of the rear suspension. You'd have to make a custom rack.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
You can't fit a normal rack battery to your bike because of the rear suspension. You'd have to make a custom rack.
My bike doesn't have the rear suspension working. I removed it and replaced suspension with Big Apples. Much better! I have already got a similar rack to the one in above photo, without the battery of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If sling your original battery, you can use any 36v battery you want and however you want to fit it as long as you can find a way to get the wires through to the controller.

Just in case you don't realise, those older style 15ah batteries can be very heavy at about 4.5 kg or 6kg for LiFePO4. That doesn't sound much, but it makes your bike awkward to carry and spoils the handling, especially if you mount it too high.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
If sling your original battery, you can use any 36v battery you want and however you want to fit it as long as you can find a way to get the wires through to the controller.

Just in case you don't realise, those older style 15ah batteries can be very heavy at about 4.5 kg or 6kg for LiFePO4. That doesn't sound much, but it makes your bike awkward to carry and spoils the handling, especially if you mount it too high.
I didn't realise this was an old type battery? It weighs 3.5kg. Would this be a good buy at £249.99 ?
  • Lithium-ion 36v 15ah battery with lockable double deck battery rack and charger for electric powered bicycles
  • Comes complete with fitting kit and assembly instructions
  • Aluminium components designed for universal fitment and long term durability
  • Simply insert the key to remove the portable battery from its cradle for security or re charging
  • A Petrolscooter branded par
Kit components

1 x Lithium 36v 15ah battery
1 x Lithium 36v quick charger UK plug
1 x Battery rack and cradle
1 x Quick release fitting kit for battery
1 x Fitting kit for double deck battery rack
1 x Fitting and operational Instructions

Full Specification
Rated capacity: 15000(mah)
Standard voltage: 36(v)
Charging current: 2(A)