Individual replacement cell availability

freewheeler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2010
Hi Everyone

Any battery experts here?

I picked up a nice looking e-bike battery for free from my local recycling center. It is a 36v 16ah unit which fits behind the seatpost as used on many Chinese ebikes. I believe this battery type is known as a 'silverfish'.

Anyway, there was no voltage showing on the output pins so I opened it up and probed the voltage on each cell pair (it is a 2p 10s configuration) and one pair showed 0 volts with all the others near to 4v.

If I could find two replacement cells it looks like it might be worth attempting to repair the battery. Trouble is I can't seem to find a source.

The battery uses Li-Po pouch cells which are approx 168x70x8mm, each cell is nominally 8000mAh and 3.6v

They look much like this:

If anyone could suggest a source I would be very grateful

Mark

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

freewheeler

Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply:)

The cells are soldered into the pack using the nickel tabs as in the photo above.

I see the dimensions of that 2S hobby king pack are close enough to what I have and would actually fit quite well.

I wonder if using such cells would be so dangerous if used with the original BMS - I know they have a terrible reputation....

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for the reply:)

The cells are soldered into the pack using the nickel tabs as in the photo above.

I see the dimensions of that 2S hobby king pack are close enough to what I have and would actually fit quite well.

I wonder if using such cells would be so dangerous if used with the original BMS - I know they have a terrible reputation....
Because they aren't in an aluminium silverfish battery box when the drone they are powering crashes into the block of flats across the street? What were you filming? :rolleyes:

If they are taken care of by a BMS they are just as dangerous as the other ones you are sitting above.

freewheeler

Jul 27, 2010
Yes I see your point! I like the youtube videos where people poke their LiPos with a sharp implement - I think the technical term is 'venting with flame'!

Well seeing as the cost of the Hobbyking battery is quite reasonable I may as well order one up. The cells on Alibaba seem to have minimum order quantities in the 100's.

I am thinking to bring some balance wires to the outside of the case so I will be able to make basic checks on the cells without having to dismantle anything and if the BMS is faulty, at least I will know about it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Be very careful when you do the wiring, cut one wire at a time! 8 Amps packs a lot of punch and even the balance wires make lots of sparks - yes I have had a JST-XH come off when unplugging... :eek:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Total: £23.46

For 4 bits of plastic... I know I need them I am just looking for an honest source.

Advertisers