Innovative idea for a hover board battery?

Hunty555

Just Joined
May 25, 2016
Herts
Am looking at building my first e bike and came up with an idea with regards to a battery pack, ive got a few Samsung hoverboard battery packa laying around, same cells that go into bikes, but 36v 4.4ah each pack. I could put these in parallel or series depemdimg what voltage and ah I would like to achieve.

Anyone foresee any problems? I would need to find a way of connecting the charger. Am thinking 2 packs rummimg 36v 8.8ah would give me enough juice to power me for local use and I can make another one for longer runs. Am looking at a 500w rear wheel kitdownload.jpg

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Am looking at building my first e bike and came up with an idea with regards to a battery pack, ive got a few Samsung hoverboard battery packa laying around, same cells that go into bikes, but 36v 4.4ah each pack. I could put these in parallel or series depemdimg what voltage and ah I would like to achieve.

Anyone foresee any problems? I would need to find a way of connecting the charger. Am thinking 2 packs rummimg 36v 8.8ah would give me enough juice to power me for local use and I can make another one for longer runs. Am looking at a 500w rear wheel kitView attachment 14142
It will work, the problem is going to be getting enough current.

For a 500w motor you will need 20 to 30 amps (depending on controller).

Batteries have a 'C' rating. This the the maximum current, relative to capacity. So 1C at 4.4Ah is 4.4A.

You also need a way to manage the discharge, so they don't get too low. I'm guessing there's no BMS on those packs?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hunty555

Just Joined
May 25, 2016
Herts
BMS Control board is on the battery pack thankfully.

The hoverboards are fitted with 2x 350w motors and used to last about 6 hours of messing around on a charge. Flat out at a limited 7/8mph obviously less.

The battery packs are made up of the exact same cells as ebike batteries. Will current be an issue with 2, 3, 4 packs together to increase the aH?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I see Samsung on the blue plastic wrapper what version of the Samsung cells are they? I am guessing the ones that go up in smoke are not Samsung cells but rather lipo pouches?

You want to put 4 of those wired in parallel for 17.6 Amps. A 350 W motor with a 17-18 Amp controller will give you plenty of bang for your buck.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
BMS Control board is on the battery pack thankfully.

The hoverboards are fitted with 2x 350w motors and used to last about 6 hours of messing around on a charge. Flat out at a limited 7/8mph obviously less.

The battery packs are made up of the exact same cells as ebike batteries. Will current be an issue with 2, 3, 4 packs together to increase the aH?
Yes, that should work. If I was to guess, I'd say don't go above 2C.

You'll need a watt meter to see what's going on. One like this will work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252242300442

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chriskyle

Just Joined
May 22, 2017
texas
i think 500w for the rear wheel kit will be just more than enough. That will give enough power for your custom hoverboard. Do make enough technical safety measures to avoid explosions ? Such news have been spreading a lot!!!!!