Insurance

Discussion in 'Which electric bike should I buy?' started by MikeButterworth, Feb 11, 2018.

1. MikeButterworth

MikeButterworth Just Joined

Hi, just about, in the spring, to buy my first ebike, what’s the view on insurance? I’ll be spending the thick end of £2000, and I’m not sure wether to add it onto my house insurance, or take out a separate policy. Any views, or recommendations for insurance companies that have been easy to deal with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Rutland Cycling

Rutland Cycling Trade Member

Hey Mike,

You're more than likely going to get the best deal tagging it onto your house insurance. That usually costs £3-£4 extra a month at most.

Alternatively you're looking at £90-£100 a year at most cycle insurers, with my preferred being Bikmo.

Anthony.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acm2000

acm2000 Pedelecer

mine is on house insurance, costs nothing extra

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gaz

Gaz Pedelecer

We just added my Wife's ebike to our house insurance renewal - and the policy cost went down :confused: Then we had to phone back as they'd spelled Wisper wrong, and they gave us a £15 cash back for the inconvenience.

Gaz

5. oyster

oyster Pedelecer

Mine is on household insurance - something like £30 a year but as it started part-way through, it wasn't a full year.

I keep wondering how much difference it makes to the cover - do specific bike policies actually add much real-world value?

6. Kendalian

Kendalian Finding my (electric) wheels

I am with esure for household insurance which covers bikes up to about £600. My ebike cost £2,200 and insurance on this as a 'specified item' is £37.99p - a LOT less than the quote from Bikmo for a specific bike policy.

Cheers

Kendalian

7. asc99c

asc99c Finding my (electric) wheels

Same here, about £35 extra for a £2500 e bike on my home insurance policy.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

8. DynatechFan

DynatechFan Pedelecer

Used Co-op for house insurance for years as they were very bike friendly - not checked recently but bikes under £1k free, over that was a few quid afiar

9. spanos

spanos Finding my (electric) wheels

I can tell you m&s are free under a grand

The utterly extortionate after that.

And, for comedy value, my auto correct insists on amending uttlery to burglary

Which seems ironic

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice