Interesting news re Kalkhoff........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hope for dealer's sakes they have plans to establish some sort of support base here too. Derby Cycles gmbh attitude to customer service has been less than adequate to date.

• Agree
Reactions: Ted B. and tillson

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Does this mean that the main UK dealer did a bad job ?
Don't think so. I've always regarded 50 Cycles as being pioneers. They were around in 2004 & are among the earliest of exclusive e-bike suppliers setting a trend that many have followed.

Think this is probably more to do with a different business model that some bike brands are moving towards.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't think so. I've always regarded 50 Cycles as being pioneers. They were around in 2004 & are among the earliest of exclusive e-bike suppliers setting a trend that many have followed.

Think this is probably more to do with a different business model that some bike brands are moving towards.
Indeed. When they adopted the Kalkhoff brand they were even supplying the USA as well, until Kalkhoff took over that function with a US branch supplying dealers directly.

As you say, it's a trend followed as a market develops to a size that enables more direct representation.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some customers think 50 Cycles did a bad job, but we don't know what Derby Cycles think.

For the purposes of supply, their opinion is the one that counts.

Presumably, there's nothing to stop 50 Cycles being one of the new network of dealers.

If so, they are bound to lose distance sales to customers who sensibly decide to buy from their local Kalkhoff dealer.

That may explain why 50 Cycles is introducing other brands.

My local bike shop has a couple of core brands - Cannondale and GT - but they chop and change their other brands occasionally to freshen the offer to the customer.

I doubt they are unique in doing that.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
It looks like 50 cycles reputation has been damaged by the impulse motor failures,maybe by selling other makes of quality bikes they can get it back.

• Agree
Reactions: Ted B.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
It looks like 50 cycles reputation has been damaged by the impulse motor failures,maybe by selling other makes of quality bikes they can get it back.
my guess they want to enlarge the range for market share, as simple as that.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
Reading posts on various forums, it sounds like it's not the first time they are having recurring issues with maintenance or flawed products. Apparently, there was an issue with wheels a few years ago, which they also failed to acknowledge.

They don't seem to have a good track record of providing a good service for their expensive bikes, regardless of what the issues are.

Maybe too many people went to complain to Kalkhoff directly, and they decided that some competition within resellers in the UK was required.

Hopefully, it will lead to those bikes being more competitive in term of prices, and also 50 Cycles having to step up their game.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Reading posts on various forums, it sounds like it's not the first time they are having recurring issues with maintenance or flawed products. Apparently, there was an issue with wheels a few years ago, which they also failed to acknowledge.

They don't seem to have a good track record of providing a good service for their expensive bikes, regardless of what the issues are.

Maybe too many people went to complain to Kalkhoff directly, and they decided that some competition within resellers in the UK was required.

Hopefully, it will lead to those bikes being more competitive in term of prices, and also 50 Cycles having to step up their game.
If I ran 50 cycles I'd have a new business model in place along with a rebranding exercise. Can't see what 50 cycles actually means!!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Back in 2007 / 2008 Kalkhoff produced the Pro Connect with 24 spoke wheels. These wheels were not up to the job and many had issues with broken spokes. Kalkhoff revised the design, but those of us stuck with the 24 spoke wheels had a difficult time.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Back in 2007 / 2008 Kalkhoff produced the Pro Connect with 24 spoke wheels. These wheels were not up to the job and many had issues with broken spokes. Kalkhoff revised the design, but those of us stuck with the 24 spoke wheels had a difficult time.
Hi Tillson,

I remember all the trouble you had at the time. One of my bikes is a 2008 24 spoker and (touching all the wood I can) it has survived and still OK after 9,000 odd miles. I prefer the ProConnect S, which has done more miles, but my son uses now intermittently uses the 24 spoker.