Internet Question

cardenal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2016
Scarborough, UK
The people on here seem really uptodate with technology, so it seems like it might be a good place to to ask this question. Maybe one of you whizz kids will know what to do.

Do any of you young people have a good understanding about internet technology?
I'm a little bit in the dark here.

I have a good broadband connection in my home, but only in the rooms closest to the WIFI box. When you go to the other side of the house the signal is not so good, and you cant get a reliable connection.

My son said i could get a line adapter or something. Something about creating a second signal hotspot in the house. He gets a bit impatient with me when I don't quite follow what he's trying to explain.

Has anyone else had a problem like this one?
Thanks.
:)

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hello and welcome, pop in to Maplins the folks their should be able to help and show you the kit to fix your problem.

Reactions: cardenal

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0231.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0655.JPG
;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think you will find it has something to do with the walls of your house, a reinforced concrete structural wall will stop your signal. I used to live in a house that was made partly from Roman bricks (yes from the days of the empire...) and those killed any kind of signal. You also have to consider where you have placed the WiFi router, is it central?

And you don't have to be young to know about the internet, I have been involved with the internet for about 23 years now.

• Agree
Reactions: cardenal and robdon

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
A powerline wifi adaptor set is the best option, as long as your mains wiring is in good shape and on a single circuit. It sends ethernet signals over your mains cabling.

Something like this will do the job:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/WiFi-Boosters/TL-WPA4220KIT-V1-20-Powerline-Extender-Configuration-Smartphone-UK/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485464100&sr=8-2&keywords=powerline+wifi

I wouldn't get a "WiFi Range extender" (single wifi box thing) as they tend to cut the throughput in half.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The people on here seem really uptodate with technology, so it seems like it might be a good place to to ask this question. Maybe one of you whizz kids will know what to do.

Do any of you young people have a good understanding about internet technology?
I'm a little bit in the dark here.

I have a good broadband connection in my home, but only in the rooms closest to the WIFI box. When you go to the other side of the house the signal is not so good, and you cant get a reliable connection.

My son said i could get a line adapter or something. Something about creating a second signal hotspot in the house. He gets a bit impatient with me when I don't quite follow what he's trying to explain.

Has anyone else had a problem like this one?
Thanks.
:)
The signal to your wifi box is good. And near it the wifi signal is strong so your internet conection is good. As you go further away the wifi signal drops(weakens) so you get lower access to internet.
Your son suggests a line adapter. This is a link using wires in the house to provide a good link to a second( or more) points. Here you can have another wifi box and get good internet access.
This is only normally a problem with very large buildings or ones with electrically thick walls. I assume the family pile is on a reasonable estate with the gamekeepers house reasonably remote.;)

• :D
Reactions: cardenal and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The signal to your wifi box is good. And near it the wifi signal is strong so your internet conection is good. As you go further away the wifi signal drops(weakens) so you get lower access to internet.
Your son suggests a line adapter. This is a link using wires in the house to provide a good link to a second( or more) points. Here you can have another wifi box and get good internet access.
This is only normally a problem with very large buildings or ones with electrically thick walls. I assume the family pile is on a reasonable estate with the gamekeepers house reasonably remote.;)

Hi we all don't live in mansions similar to Dave's description of his pile, but even smaller houses can have internet comms problems.

If building extensions were done and or if aluminium foiled insulation .. is used in walls say kingspan type it will really scupper wifi signals.

Regrettably , the best way , and the cheapest way of ensuring reliable internet is by hardwiring cables .Well cheapest if you do the labour yourself. Depending on your house , very long cables properly terminated are available from maplin, B &Q and other major hardware stores. Your telecoms provider gave you a box which connects to the telephone line .... The modem. On the back of this there are typically 4 Ethernet outlets. A cable from any of these can be connected to a router giving another 4,8,16 connections. A cable from any of these going to either a computer , printer, settop box etc will provide internet . If you need it going to a mobile device e.g a tablet there are hotspot wi-fi nodes available.
That process can be extended almost indefinitely... Well up to 255 connections without bother.
Slightly less effective is to use a power line adapter. These are used in a minimum of two but can be extended up to four or more. The ethernet cable from the modem is connected to one of these and it is plugged into the wall. It then uses the electric mains wiring to send information to and from its mate. Provided both or more powerline adaptors are on the same electric circuit eg use the same electric phases, or are powered by the same switchboard, they can all communicate. You can reliably connect up to about 4 of these. Again some of these have cable outputs and some have WiFi nodes as well.
These are less effective for two reasons 1. The data throughout is lower than a dedicated cable , the response speed also drops as a function of the distance between the units , but does work over reasonable distances.
2. The protocols these things use require one to set itself as a master and the others as slaves. However sometimes they forget themselves and start squabbling.... So they are fine for a dual set but they can confuse themselves when multiples are used.
In case you are worried about your neighbours listening in on your powerline network... Don't be, the electric power meter at the mains inlet kills the signals

Reactions: D8ve
D

Deleted member 4366

You don't have to use the wifi from the box you were provided with. It has sockets for ethernet cables, so buy a cable and a wifi router from Ebay, and put the router somewhere nearer the area where you get no signal. Used routers are really cheap on Ebay.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi we all don't live in mansions similar to Dave's description of his pile,
Please don't misquote me. The park rangers would be offended if they were called game keepers:mad:.( posted on their bequest)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi we all don't live in mansions similar to Dave's description of his pile, but even smaller houses can have internet comms problems.

If building extensions were done and or if aluminium foiled insulation .. is used in walls say kingspan type it will really scupper wifi signals.

Regrettably , the best way , and the cheapest way of ensuring reliable internet is by hardwiring cables .Well cheapest if you do the labour yourself. Depending on your house , very long cables properly terminated are available from maplin, B &Q and other major hardware stores. Your telecoms provider gave you a box which connects to the telephone line .... The modem. On the back of this there are typically 4 Ethernet outlets. A cable from any of these can be connected to a router giving another 4,8,16 connections. A cable from any of these going to either a computer , printer, settop box etc will provide internet . If you need it going to a mobile device e.g a tablet there are hotspot wi-fi nodes available.
That process can be extended almost indefinitely... Well up to 255 connections without bother.
Slightly less effective is to use a power line adapter. These are used in a minimum of two but can be extended up to four or more. The ethernet cable from the modem is connected to one of these and it is plugged into the wall. It then uses the electric mains wiring to send information to and from its mate. Provided both or more powerline adaptors are on the same electric circuit eg use the same electric phases, or are powered by the same switchboard, they can all communicate. You can reliably connect up to about 4 of these. Again some of these have cable outputs and some have WiFi nodes as well.
These are less effective for two reasons 1. The data throughout is lower than a dedicated cable , the response speed also drops as a function of the distance between the units , but does work over reasonable distances.
2. The protocols these things use require one to set itself as a master and the others as slaves. However sometimes they forget themselves and start squabbling.... So they are fine for a dual set but they can confuse themselves when multiples are used.
In case you are worried about your neighbours listening in on your powerline network... Don't be, the electric power meter at the mains inlet kills the signals
You don't have to use the wifi from the box you were provided with. It has sockets for ethernet cables, so buy a cable and a wifi router from Ebay, and put the router somewhere nearer the area where you get no signal. Used routers are really cheap on Ebay.
Hi d8veh ( made sure to get that right),
What was it that you disagreed with
Was it
1. That the other Dave lives in a mansion
2. That direct wiring is faster and more reliable.
3. That powerline data rates are dependent on separation
4. That they must be on the same phase and on the same side of the main utility powermeter.
5. That kingspan insulation panels using aluminium interfere with wi-fi
6. That multiple powerline adaptors can confuse themselves when there are more than 4.

Except for 1 above, I have direct experience of the rest, and eventually found it necessary to revert to direct cables in order to increase reliability.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my unifi disc goes through 2 concrete walls and a floor for the kodi box in the front room and streams films with no problems on the wifi even with all the other devices on it as well.

ubiquiti is enterprise class hardware and can be scaled to one disc or hundreds if you live in a castle ;)

the software has been updated now tho but still works the same way ;)

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It was an attempt at humour on my part, obviously my jokes are no laughting matter.
Sorry my attempt at returning humour missed mark on way back.

Advertisers