Introduction

Situpandbeg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2011
Dear Pedelecs people, hello. Nothing too out of the ordinary -I am a 50 year-old male, with wife and two young children, living in rural E. Sussex about 4 miles in any direction from the nearest town or village. We are keen cyclists but the hills here are a little offputting, especially since we live on top of one and Mum and Dad's legs are past their prime. Not that high at 74m above sea level but still a factor for shopping and other visits to civilisation. So I am intruiged by the possibility of some electrical assistance.

rolando177

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2011
Sussex Downs

Hi,

I commute from Brighton to Haywards Heath two or three times per week, a 25 mile round trip. The hills are just too steep and too numerous to manage on a regular bike and also do 10 hours work.

I have a Raleigh Dover which is fantastic. The crank drive motor works through the gears and hill-climbing is superb as a result.

If hills are a problem, crank drive motors are preferable to hub motors.

Kalkhoff is one major manufacturer that makes several different brands.

They are expensive new but plenty on EBay - just be aware that specification changes every year.

AtoB magazine is very helpful.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a big show at the NEC in Birmingham later this month. If you can get up there they'll probably be showing a lot of new models that people on this forum have never even seen.
Also there's a host of much cheaper Chinese crank-drive bikes coming like this one, which I'm sure will be on Ebay in the not too distant future.
San Eagle Bicycle Manufactory Co., Ltd. - SE-TDL2012-M28M31A new model electric bicycle
In case anybody's interested in it, there was a guy in Wolverhampton that sold San Eagles and he's still trading.
microgoods | eBay