Is an ebike for me?

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
Hi there :) I'm new to the forum and thinking about buying an ebike.

I'm 50 this year and will be starting a short commute in a few months into Leeds city centre. It's around 6 miles each way. Half on road, half on tow path. Downhill and flat on the way in. But coming back is where an ebike could shine for me. I'm not really into cycling but I can enjoy it. I used to commute by bike about 20 years ago on a basic MTB a mate lent me.

I'm not a fit guy but I don't have any disabilities. I could use a standard bike no problems. I guess I'm a bit lazy :p

So looking at bikes recently I saw how things have improved across the board. I didn't even realise pedelecs were catching on like they are! One thing I will say is that for my short commute I cannot justify an outlay over £1200. And this has got to include all my gear too... lights, locks, mudguards, clothing (though nothing like Wiggins Wannabe lycra stuff). That is a maximum I can justify paying really.... and half would be on 0% finance if possible. If I get a standard bike then I wouldn't be paying that. I'd cut that budget in half and go for a Giant Escape 2 or something.

I'm going to test ride a Carrera Crossfire ebike at Halfords soon. I don't particularly like Halfords.... it really is pot luck what kind of service you get. Spoken with three local branches this week. First two were disinterested or just didn't know about the product. Last one was very helpful on the phone and said they have an offer on right now where if you hand in any bike to trade in you get 15% off. "Anything with a frame and wheels" is what he said. That brings the price down to £935.

My bike would be locked up all day in the city centre outside on the university campus. So even though it will be locked with many other bikes I'm still concerned that spending this much might not be wise long term. But I suppose only I can decide that.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Get on and buy one! You will love it.

There are stacks of good bikes in your budget range, the big problem will be choosing.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My bike would be locked up all day in the city centre outside on the university campus. So even though it will be locked with many other bikes I'm still concerned that spending this much might not be wise long term. But I suppose only I can decide that.
Then don't spend so much on a bike. The Cyclamatic CX1 will probably suit your commuting needs with cash to spare.

http://www.thesportshq.com/cyclamatic-power-plus-cx1-electric-mountain-bike.aspx?affiliate=cse_google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CPi55Jy7rdICFRTgGwodEAIACQ

I would use some of the spare cash to buy a really good bike lock.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DB quite a lot of bikes will do your journey so a cheapish one will suffice, if you enjoy the riding so much you will want use it further a field as well. Weigh in the factor of insurance and a couple of decent gold/5* locks as well, because if you lock it up outside in the same place day in day out some one will take an interest and nick it. Is the campus facility secure and covered if not your bike may need a bike cover to keep the rain off it whilst sitting doing nothing and when you get your bike always remove the battery off and take it with you.
All of this needs to be taken on board as a 1k investment or so can be hard to find again, there's also another adage the crappier a bike looks the less likely it might go missing

Reactions: Sarabee

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
DB, you could also look to see if your workplace are able to offer the Cycle To Work Scheme, which offers really good savings.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The CX1 for the money is very good forget Halfords as the staff are hit and miss and lacking knowledge, the Crossfire has had a few problems with the battery/power loss which quite a few had on here there is a Crossfire thread some where. Or for another £150 the CX3 has a better 10.4ah battery if you require a little more range.

Last edited:

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
I'm still grinning from trying my new bike yesterday and desperate for it to arrive. Try one and see what you think.
I found Halfords very poor on knowledge and enthusiasm sadly but bought a Chinese bike (horror!) with all accessories from ERanger. It's very sturdy, comfortable and has good user reviews and for a person like me it's ideal. They are very helpful too.
Like you, I'm not going on long treks so can't justify a huge outlay.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Being the contrary type, I'd say spend as much as possible on the bike (& lock), but skimp on the accessories, for now at least.

I started off with a cheapish ebike and soon worked out that it was a cheap (but not cheerful) bike with basic, heavy componentry that quickly fell apart under my not very arduous commute. I then converted a better bike I already had with a basic kit. The kit eventually gave up on me.

I then had the good fortune of finding someone selling a decent bike secondhand here on the forum. I splashed out on it and haven't looked back since. It has good componentry, including the drivetrain and brakes. The battery lasts much longer than the kit one, despite it being rated the same.

The old adage 'buy cheap, buy twice' applies to my experiences twice over. I would suggest that you learn from my experience.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You shouldn't leave an electric bike locked up all day outside where it can easily gets rained on for a long time. Also, expensive electric bikes get unwanted attention. Once it gets noticed, even the best locks won't deter thieves.
From our range of bikes, the best waterproofed are the Woosh Karoo and the Woosh Crusa.

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I never leave my Scott E sub Sport 2015 nowhere out of eye view because due to that fact someone could come up too it and cut the wires on the bike and then their would be no assistance

Cable cutters are ebike cyclists worse nightmare if someone wanted to steal your bike and couldn't because you have good lock on it they would just cut your power wires

For me it would cost me a lot of money to put my bike right if they did that to me

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Welcome aboard DBrown67.

Firstly security is an issue with any bike not just Ebikes, as they are so very easy to nick, and I would say ebike's are even more coveted by thieves.

On the Manchester campus they have what looks to be secure enclosed parking for bikes, although unless manned I would think carefully about using that facility.

As for ebike, the Greenway which comes with Bafang Max Drive (Crank Drive) would seem perfect for the commute that you describe, at £1000 it's seems a no brainer to me, as nothing else at the price comes even close.

Easy for me to say, as I am still using pedal power only, untill the right ebike for me comes along.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As for ebike, the Greenway which comes with Bafang Max Drive (Crank Drive) would seem perfect for the commute that you describe, at £1000 it's seems a no brainer to me, as nothing else at the price comes even close.
That depends on the rider. I can give a few reasons why the GW is not ideal. A bike for commuter must have a few specific qualities, such as excellent waterproofing, full chainguard and mudguards, lights, bell, puncture-proof tyres, easy and cheap to maintain. A strong motor, big battery, high quality crankset, hydraulic brakes and a full throttle are also high on the list.
For £1,000 budget, the Woosh Zephyr fits most of those criteria.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexsally

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, at some stage but at higher pricce point than £1,000. The usual issue is expectation. The Max Drive is an excellent motor, you need to match it with excellent components but it adds up to a much higher price point. The Basic motor alone is over $500 compared to about $170 for a set of hub motor + controller and LCD. The on-going and maintenance costs are also higher. CD motors put more wear and tear on cogs and chain. The cost of the inbuilt controller is also much higher. The sensors are also more complex. Bikes for commuting need to be kept simple and functional.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Removing battery and controller should help deter thieves. Without these items they won't be able to sell it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
true enough but you expose more of the electrics to rain.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi there :) I'm new to the forum and thinking about buying an ebike.

I'm 50 this year and will be starting a short commute in a few months into Leeds city centre. It's around 6 miles each way. Half on road, half on tow path. Downhill and flat on the way in. But coming back is where an ebike could shine for me. I'm not really into cycling but I can enjoy it. I used to commute by bike about 20 years ago on a basic MTB a mate lent me.

I'm not a fit guy but I don't have any disabilities. I could use a standard bike no problems. I guess I'm a bit lazy :p

So looking at bikes recently I saw how things have improved across the board. I didn't even realise pedelecs were catching on like they are! One thing I will say is that for my short commute I cannot justify an outlay over £1200. And this has got to include all my gear too... lights, locks, mudguards, clothing (though nothing like Wiggins Wannabe lycra stuff). That is a maximum I can justify paying really.... and half would be on 0% finance if possible. If I get a standard bike then I wouldn't be paying that. I'd cut that budget in half and go for a Giant Escape 2 or something.

I'm going to test ride a Carrera Crossfire ebike at Halfords soon. I don't particularly like Halfords.... it really is pot luck what kind of service you get. Spoken with three local branches this week. First two were disinterested or just didn't know about the product. Last one was very helpful on the phone and said they have an offer on right now where if you hand in any bike to trade in you get 15% off. "Anything with a frame and wheels" is what he said. That brings the price down to £935.

... Bikes get stolen, there are plenty of videos on this site showing just how vulnerable a bike is. Nothing can protect you from a battery powered angle grinder. You need to think through your strategy . As a commuter you have a differing priority than a leasuire cyclist. Buy cheap and nasty , make it ugly , buy at police auctions or go up market pay more for secure storage, pay for insurance.
In terms clothes, the good news is that anything will do , a water proof jacket and a waterproof overthrouser from aldi or lidl . In a electric bike you will not sweat.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello DB :)

If it helps make your mind up, I'm 52, and I have a 4 mile commute. I'm on my first e-bike, and with what I know now, I wish I'd done it years ago.

I think it's good advice to buy something that looks ordinary and doesn't draw attention to itself if it's left on view.

Gaz