Is Berlin the safest city to be a cyclist?

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Thanks Smudger for bringing that to my attention. That item escaped me but it's an interesting read although I'm sure there are some who would take issue with one or two points raised by the journalist.

I've never visited Berlin but I have spent time in other areas of Germany and some of that attitude described was evident to me then. Clearly, we have a long way to go in this country before any journalist might write such an article about the UK but attitudes and perceptions can be changed.

A greater commitment from central government towards cycling along with some serious inducements to get more people buying bikes would help. A major advertising campaign and better road policing backed up by meaningful offender sentencing would go a long way towards creating maybe not cycling utopia but might just make our road system a safer place for every user.

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Excellent situation, but how sad to see once again this silly British obsession with helmets, the subject repeatedly brought up ad nauseum. The countries with the lowest cycling accident and injury rates in the world are those where helmets are rarely ever worn and cycling most popular. Australia where helmets are compulsory has the world's lowest cycling rate and they refer to bicycles as "deadly treadlies". Why on earth can't the British learn from those simple facts.

C

Cyclezee

Well I survived Berlin, but I did have protective headgear:rolleyes:

P1010109.jpg

Advertisers