Is it time to empty Euro bank accounts?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am afraid this time it's not the same hysterical as Northern Rock. The banking crisisis in Cyprus is the logical destination of the fractional reserve banking system, practiced all over the world.
jazper53 wants to know who do we owe the money to, the answer is virtually everyone. We are both lenders and borrowers, if not just because we are citizen of of state or another that owes money to everyone. The capitalist system we live in nowadays is substantially different from the 50's when Keynesian economics was still workable. There is no way out, no matter how much money we print.
Cyprus banking industry cannot recover from this crisis, the Eurocrats won't allow it. Without transformtive industry and inflated property prices, Cypriots will head to much harsher living standards.
Even the German model is not safe. I am not saying that the British banks are about to fall, I am saying they cannot make normal profit therefore cannot raise capital from shareholders and get back to where it once was, not even to Keynes time.
Our government will keep QE for the foreseable future because it does not have any alternative, regardless which party or coalition is in power.
Until someone invents a new system, countries with abundant natural resource will do well to the detriment of the rest of the world. Getting back to Cyprus, although restrictions do not affect the apparent wealth of ordinary citizens, their life is already changed for the worse. Let's say that they manage to find the money and borrow the rest from the EU/IMF, how are their goverment and their banks ever going to pay it back?
Greece can't. So a few years from now (I say two), another round of bail in/bailout is needed and more money needs to be printed. Look at food prices, you see how fast the pound loses its value and we are luckier than most, we can let the pound drift. However, devaluating the pound can only worsen the trade balance because we don't have the ability to work hard like our parents did.
So, we are getting robbed by our government but I don't think we are going to vote for any politician with the will to force people who don't want to work to work or let people with ill health die.
Yes, I fully agree that the system is fundamentally flawed and share many of your opinions, the problem isn't specific to Cyprus or anywhere in particular. Cyprus will recover from it's low, but only to the limited extent that the flawed world systems make possible. As I remarked earlier, their wealth producing fundamentals are only agriculture and tourism, both ensuring no place at the top table in the present international structures. Those limitations make their now failed attempt to share in the profits of international speculation understandable, though not excusable.

Like you, I see no way out of the present world wide structural situation in a predominantly democratic world, people don't vote in the ways necessary for radical change. The only solution for the individual to enjoy the best possible life is to move to the "right" countries as early as possible in life, though of course that economic migration often causes a whole new set of problems.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that QE is not working, and then there will be only one option left, and that will be trade protectionism. USA are pretty close to giving up on QE and will bring in some form of legislation that will look very much like protecting it own markets, which will be a very slippery slope for the global economy, and free trade in general.
The USA has been practicing selective protectionism for many years now, while ruthlessly punishing any other country trying it. Britain has been a victim of this nasty American habit of attacking the small and vulnerable, remember the US attack on our tiny Harris Tweed producing sector?

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I dont know about emptying euro bank accounts but we seem to be on European time on this forum atm :eek:

Last edited:

Advertisers