Is it worth spending the extra

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there all my videos and it does now and i fitted it ;)

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
i have dual sprockets on my bike 18t and 15t but its 100 euro for it.
]
Wow i didnt know you could do this
Basically for me thats 1 for the way to work and one for the way home

Ive learned a lot tonight fairplay
Do these double sprockets work on most setups or are they just for haibkes
I could be back to the drawing board after this thead lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Thank you v much sound wave for all the info
I have plenty to go on now
I think ill go for the the cheaper component 500 w
And spend the extra on this set up it should suit me perfectly
I will update thread in the next few weeks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get the shop to price match the German site we are still in the eu after all.

just if any thing goes wrong you will have to ship it back so keep all the boxes ect.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
For commuting and light trail work cheaper bike will be fine.

If fitting a dongle or doing hilling off road trails go for 11spd you will need larger gear range. As bonus you get better suspension and extra battery capacity is good idea if using dongle.

Once you discover eMTBing you may find yourself doing more off road riding than you thought. MTB is great sport as is, adding electric assist just doubles the fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apprentice

BootsDave

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
Aveyron, France
Soundwave, do you know if it's possible to fit a 14t with a 16t. They don't offer that combination on the site that you mentioned. I'd like the ability to have the option of lower gearing but don't really need a dongle. I was also looking at a Cube with an 11/46 cassette and a 16t front sprocket.
It's really hilly here!
Cheers
Dave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the only way to do it is to get a spacer made then use 2 normal sprockets as that is all the kit is any way but the spacer is part of the 18t sprocket.

or you could try grind down a sprocket and make one like that is all i can think off.

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
For commuting and light trail work cheaper bike will be fine.

If fitting a dongle or doing hilling off road trails go for 11spd you will need larger gear range. As bonus you get better suspension and extra battery capacity is good idea if using dongle.

Once you discover eMTBing you may find yourself doing more off road riding than you thought. MTB is great sport as is, adding electric assist just doubles the fun.
Sound advice
And i used to do some light trails when i was young lad so i might just get back to it

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
the only way to do it is to get a spacer made then use 2 normal sprockets as that is all the kit is any way but the spacer is part of the 18t sprocket.

or you could try grind down a sprocket and make one like that is all i can think off.
I reckon thats how im gonna go
buy a few different sized sprockets find 2 i like individually and make them fit

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Soundwave, do you know if it's possible to fit a 14t with a 16t. They don't offer that combination on the site that you mentioned. I'd like the ability to have the option of lower gearing but don't really need a dongle. I was also looking at a Cube with an 11/46 cassette and a 16t front sprocket.
It's really hilly here!
Cheers
Dave
I'm running 11-42 with 15t chainring and find it has no problems with steep hills. On road I can still pedal to >40km/hr downhill unassisted. Unless you fit a dongle a 14t chainring you will still have a few gears above the 25km/hr assist cutoff.

I've ordered 14t chain ring as I'd like to ride slower to stay with unassisted riders. On climbs where they are in granny gear doing 6km/hr, I'm doing 8-9 at normal cadence. The CX will let me pedal slower and stay with them but its not a natural cadence for me. Will see how 14t works out, may change to 11-46t cassette in future.

One thing I've discovered with CX is how much power it has at low cadences. Initially I'd tackle very steep climbs at usual high cadence and struggle, lower cadence and motor just hauls me up.

Last edited: