Is it worth trying hybrid tyres.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
My Hard Nine with Rapid Robs on, is great off road.

My Hard Nine with Big Bens on, is great on the road.

I thought Winter was just going to be a straight road only exercise, but stupidly I am still going off road and it is tricky on Big Bens.

I am looking for road manners ( quiet, smooth running, good handling and braking) with some off road grip ( the ability to NOT slip side ways at the first sign of dew and be able to go uphill in muddy not quagmire conditions ), do Marathon Plus MTB or Land Cruiser Plus work ?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The Marathon Plus MTB tyres seem to have had good reviews on Chain Reaction, and at least they will offer very good puncture resistance. A big plus point during the winter months.

I was going to suggest Racing Ralphs, but these are a big risk, in that they are very puncture prone, and might not be heavy duty enough for you. I still run a Racing ralph on the front of my pedal mtb though, along with a Rocket Ron on the rear. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-racing-ralph-performance-mtb-tyre-dc/rp-prod63918

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
It is just so appealing when I am riding by my usual haunts to turn off the road and go cross country.

It has not got really wet here yet but the frost has knocked down the Fern, Mallow and Nettles so the woods are wide open for daytime riding.

Would be lovely to do road and Forest and be puncture proof.

Not looking to cross six inches of mud just sure footed riding and braking.

• Agree

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My Haibike has Hans Dampf tyres, they seem to fine for tarmac & off road.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I suspect any MTB tyre will be too similar to your Rapid Robs to give much advantage.

Equally, any trekking or tour tyre may be too similar to your Big Bens.

If you still want to try something, Marathon Plus Tours may be worth a go.

A bit more tread than Big Ben, but not full on MTB.

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon-plus-tour.html

• Informative

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
For summer I use Verdestien "S Licks" 1.3" and winter change to Continental Travel Contact 1.75" for my rigid 26" wheel MTB.

Although I think the Verdestien "S Licks" went EOL a few years back, as I bought a bunch of them back in 2008.

Of course I am still on pedal power only, having not yet gone electric.

• Informative

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I've used Big Apple Pluses for high Summer use and for the Autumn / Winter fitted Smart Sam Pluses allround tyres for road and trail use which they do well as centre tread is joined which is good for road but there is grip from knobblies either side for mucky conditions. Very puncture proof apart from sidewall vulnerability from thorns which has caught me out thankfully only once. And compared to Apples average speeds are only a mile or two lower with the SSPs fitted.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Schwalbe reckon Hans Dampf translates as 'jack of all trades' it's better than 'Handyman' as google does.

Reactions: oldtom

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My Haibike has Hans Dampf tyres, they seem to fine for tarmac & off road.
My cube 140 came with Hans Damp, for such aggressive looking off road tyre they are surprising quiet any easy rolling on road. No problems doing 27-28km/hr unassisted on flat with no wind and that is with offroad pressures.

• Informative

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Marathon Plus MTB's are an awesome allround compromise tyre.
Seriously quick on tarmac at high psi.
No punctures yet (I even followed a hedge cutting tractor for half a mile)
Reasonable offroad/track handling....just avoid wet roots at all costs.
I'd say best for 70% tarmac/30% Trails mix

• Informative

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
+1 for Marathon Plus MTB. 1000 miles in off road and no punctures so far. I have to keep mine pretty hard 50+ psi as I find the sidewalls are on the soft side and feel squirrely when cornering. Expensive but hopefully worth it.

• Informative

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Marathon Plus MTB's are an awesome allround compromise tyre.
Seriously quick on tarmac at high psi.
No punctures yet (I even followed a hedge cutting tractor for half a mile)
Reasonable offroad/track handling....just avoid wet roots at all costs.
I'd say best for 70% tarmac/30% Trails mix
I'll second the wet root observation, had me off twice on the Delite while the Haibike on the Hans Dampf sailed over.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hmm newbie here, how critical is tyre selection for town riding? Same rules as motorbike, in the wet don't brake to hard with the front?

What exactly are these airless tyres I keep hearing about that cannot be punctured?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Related Articles

Advertisers