Is rain to blame for BBS01 problems

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi everyone
Im back with more bbs01 issues and hoping for some more viewers advice.
A little while back after only a months use the BBS01 PAS was cutting in and out.Disconnecting the throttle resolved this . Eclipse bikes sent a replacement throttle.Worked perfectly for a while , then after getting caught in rain a repeat of the PAS issue again. (Now i think of it the original prob only began after getting caught in rain a couple times ).And things have got worse.After several rides during which ive disconnected the throttle cable numerous times,the PAS has now completely stopped working. I was caught in rain again.Throttle disconnected, PAS working perfect. Battery near full charge.Just died.No error code,display still on.Got it to work a bit after switching off then on.But as soon as i stopped cycling wouldnt start again.Tried re connecting throttle .Likewise worked a bit til i stop then dead. Left overnight PAS ok again til experimenting connecting throttle again during ride.Then soon after repeat of previous day. PAS jus going off ,working a bit later then dead again after i stopped again , just 5 miles out.
This morning i turned it on .The PAS didnt respond. Connected throttle that worked fine.Because id detached the brake sensors i had to switch off the display to stop it .When i turned the display back on,it showed the battery flashing empty (its full and decent quality from eclips bikes) a symbol for the motor flashing and some code 04h.
Ive been really careful not to tax the motor always using low gear high PAS on hills etc. I have to say im not impressed by BBS kits. seem poor quality and easily damaged. What use is a ebike if the motor cant handle getting mud and wet all over it and the electric comonents cant take a rainy cornish winter .
Much thanks if anyone can tell me whats gone wrong.Rad

D

Deleted member 4366

A lot of people get problems after using them in the rain. You don't need to be a genius to draw conclusions.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Manual says Error Code 04 is "Turn to no homing" or 转把没有归位(停在高位处)(which Google translates as "Turn to no return (parked in high office)"
...I've no idea what that refers to and have never experienced the problem you describe, but I'm sure there'll be someone knowledgeable along shortly;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Moisture/damp/water water how ever you want to label it, more then likely seeps in somewhere.
If a throttle could be in the Julet connector shorting between pins so a blob of non conductive grease may help, Julets are said to be water proof but didn't prove so on my oxydrive kit throttle julet. A change of throttle style to the Wuxing lever style 108x or could be a broken wire in the loom which I have experienced on another set up, eventually a continuity test with a meter led me to the fault.
Other wise somewhere in the controller although potted in grey rubber silicone if any moisture gets under it has nowhere to go, probably hall sensor issue caused by shorting by moisture/ copper oxidisation.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks fordulike Sounds identical.I prob got water in coz i didnt seal it .But now ive sealed it still dead .Certainly didnt see smell any smoke, but is it likely as d8vh said on your post this could blow the mosfets? I assume yours was ok after a dry out.Any idea of a way of testing ? or just a big strip down an investigate. Its still under warrenty,i wouldnt have disconected the throttle if it hadnt been malfunctioning in the first place.How can designers put out a product that can suffer catasrophic damage if caught out in rain.Its a disgrace

• Agree
Reactions: D C

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Your problem resolved.After another 24hrs drying,i thought mine had also.This morning the error code 04 had gone .With the throttle removed and the cable pins dry and capped. The PAS worked every time i spun the crank. Alas a mile into a test ride i stopped to open a gate and the PAS wouldnt go again. While it did work I noticed the motor only cut when braking ,when just stopping peddling most times it just kept going.
If anyone knows a likely fix please tell as this latest crap is making me feel like giving up on e bikes.Ive had more trouble and walk homes from the 3 ive had, than fun.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Your problem resolved.After another 24hrs drying,i thought mine had also.This morning the error code 04 had gone .With the throttle removed and the cable pins dry and capped. The PAS worked every time i spun the crank. Alas a mile into a test ride i stopped to open a gate and the PAS wouldnt go again. While it did work I noticed the motor only cut when braking ,when just stopping peddling most times it just kept going.
If anyone knows a likely fix please tell as this latest crap is making me feel like giving up on e bikes.Ive had more trouble and walk homes from the 3 ive had, than fun.
You've done everything you can do, without resorting to opening up the unit.

I know it will be a pain in the arse removing it, but I would persue a warranty claim for the whole kit.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Did you try disconnecting the brake connectors?
Yeah each one and both together,no diff.Display on but no PAS.Dead as a door nail.Im afraid during all this connecting disconecting the green plastic of the display cable connection is breaking up.I took the controller off but everythings perfect inside.No water or sign of something burnt out or loose conections.Im afraid this and paranoia at getting points on my license when i saw 350w blazened on the motor which i rubbed off ruining the serial no. too. Will have invalidated my warrenty now. Never thought this supposedly reliable solid kit would go wrong so easily.At my wits end to be honest with what to do d8veh

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Never thought this supposedly reliable solid kit would go wrong so easily
I totally agree with your comment. Even I had the notorious controller failure early on in its life, due to inadequate MOSFETs. Luckily Bafang sorted out that issue in later models.

The majority of electric bikes have some sort of issue during their life, mainly down to poor Chinese QC. I know it's frustrating for you, but try speaking with Eclipse to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just to add @minexplorer, might be worth taking the controller off again and ensuring the connectors inside are all seated securely. I had running issues when I replaced my controller and it was the white connector inside not pushed home fully.

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor phase wire connectors can also be loose inside the compartment, so it's always worth checking and adjusting them.

These motors are quite difficult to test when something is wrong because of the sealed connectors.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Just to add @minexplorer, might be worth taking the controller off again and ensuring the connectors inside are all seated securely. I had running issues when I replaced my controller and it was the white connector inside not pushed home fully.
Is there any clear distinctive sign if its blown mosfets? No error code is being shown by the display . All the connectors and wires in the controller were clean,dry and secure.The red wheel sensor led is lit.The crank turns freely .Just no activation of the PAS.Before packing up this morning once i had stopped peddling, It had been working intermittently for a few miles here and there during the last cpl days. Surely it wouldnt have been working on and off if the controller had blown ?Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Is there any clear distinctive sign if its blown mosfets? No error code is being shown by the display . All the connectors and wires in the controller were clean,dry and secure.The red wheel sensor led is lit.The crank turns freely .Just no activation of the PAS.Before packing up this morning once i had stopped peddling, It had been working intermittently for a few miles here and there during the last cpl days. Surely it wouldnt have been working on and off if the controller had blown ?Thanks
I can't exactly remember, but I think I had similar symptoms when my controller blew!

D

Deleted member 4366

You can measure the mosfets if you take the controller off. You measure the resistance between each phase wire and the battery positive, then each to the negative. Each group of three should be the same as each other, but can be slightly different to the other three. They should be in the range 7k to 14k.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
You can measure the mosfets if you take the controller off. You measure the resistance between each phase wire and the battery positive, then each to the negative. Each group of three should be the same as each other, but can be slightly different to the other three. They should be in the range 7k to 14k.
Sorry to sound ignorent d8veh but what are these phase wires on the bbs01b controller .I saw 3 large wires and a connector with 4 thinner wires .So im assuming for this test ,the controller is completely disconnected from motor.The meter set to ohms.Then the black meter wire to the batt pos with batt on,red meter wire to phase wire . Then repeat to batt neg. Reading between 7 - 14 and if not ,mosfet blown? Are the 3 thicker, different coloured wires the phase wires?Thanks

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Sorry to sound ignorent d8veh but what are these phase wires on the bbs01b controller .I saw 3 large wires and a connector with 4 thinner wires .So im assuming for this test ,the controller is completely disconnected from motor.The meter set to ohms.Then the black meter wire to the batt pos with batt on,red meter wire to phase wire . Then repeat to batt neg. Reading between 7 - 14 and if not ,mosfet blown? Are the 3 thicker, different coloured wires the phase wires?Thanks
Big fat, green, yellow and blue wires!

D

Deleted member 4366

So im assuming for this test ,the controller is completely disconnected from motor.The meter set to ohms.Then the black meter wire to the batt pos with batt on,red meter wire to phase wire . Then repeat to batt neg. Reading between 7 - 14 and if not ,mosfet blown? Are the 3 thicker, different coloured wires the phase wires?Thanks
That's it. You have to remove the controller to test it. If you're unsure of the results, post them here.

IIRC, there's no way to turn the motor to test the hall sensors, so you have to open it like this, then you can test them. That normally breaks the gasket, so you need a new one or some instant gasket to put it back together.

https://www.electricbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BBs01PR.png