Is rain to blame for BBS01 problems

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
That's it. You have to remove the controller to test it. If you're unsure of the results, post them here.

IIRC, there's no way to turn the motor to test the hall sensors, so you have to open it like this, then you can test them. That normally breaks the gasket, so you need a new one or some instant gasket to put it back together.

https://www.electricbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BBs01PR.png
Thanks to d8veh and fordulike for always giving supportive comment on ebike issues .Will check phase an hall sensors with my multimeter during next few days. Its an awkward situation though. i have an infuriating need to find out how things work and be able to mend an maintain myself.Spent my whole life asking questions and then cracking on and repairing stuff.But in this case for once ,the product is still in warrenty

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
Having read this (and other references to water-related problems), I'm getting a little nervous about my decision to go for the BBS01B for my trike.

Whilst I have no plans to go riding in the rain, it's inevitable that I will be caught out on occasions and, due to health issues, I must be able to rely on the motor to help get me home.

I appreciate that the problems discussed here may or may not be due to water ingress into the motor itself, but are hub motors (or, say, the GSM crank drive coupled with an external controller) more reliable in damp conditions?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Having read this (and other references to water-related problems), I'm getting a little nervous about my decision to go for the BBS01B for my trike.

Whilst I have no plans to go riding in the rain, it's inevitable that I will be caught out on occasions and, due to health issues, I must be able to rely on the motor to help get me home.

I appreciate that the problems discussed here may or may not be due to water ingress into the motor itself, but are hub motors (or, say, the GSM crank drive coupled with an external controller) more reliable in damp conditions?
Like most things relating to reliabilty on the net, you usually only hear the bad side, not the good. I give my BBS02 motor a good hosing down every now and again and I haven't had any problems with water ingression.

I would be more careful about getting the display and remote switch unit wet though, but I reckon the connectors and motor unit are water resistant enough.

Reactions: johneb
D

Deleted member 4366

I hate to have to say it, but every person I know that runs/ran a BBSxx had a problem of some sort with the controller, and water is often involved. I think you'd be OK for the odd dowsing, but it seems to be very heavy rain that causes problems.

As far as I can figure out, water isn't prevented from getting into the controller's compartment. Instead, they rely on casting the controller in rubber to stop water reaching the electronic components, but it can still get into the phase wire connectors and the hall connector when not properly covered in that white silicone rubber. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I hate to have to say it, but every person I know that runs/ran a BBSxx had a problem of some sort with the controller, and water is often involved. I think you'd be OK for the odd dowsing, but it seems to be very heavy rain that causes problems.

As far as I can figure out, water isn't prevented from getting into the controller's compartment. Instead, they rely on casting the controller in rubber to stop water reaching the electronic components, but it can still get into the phase wire connectors and the hall connector when not properly covered in that white silicone rubber. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
An interesting one this one. I seem to remember my replacement controller having a rubber sealing gasket, but I can't be 100% sure.

Anyone else out there, who have replaced their controller, confirm this?

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall

My bbs01 motor itself has been heavily covered in water spray and mud and its been fine . I now know from my own experience and other peoples the problem was. Wet getting onto the connnections in the throttle .People suggest opening the casing and painting clear nail varnish on the wires where exposed .Both throttles only took a couple of rain drenchings to start malfunctioning.Disconnecting throttle solved isssue, but not capping the cable apparently caused the worse prob when rain got on exposed pins. I think if you disregard throttle and cap cable .Or use throttle but waterproof the wires inside ,you will be fine.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Reports on general internal controller problems with the BBS01 helped me choose the GSM with external controller. And the price. :)

I managed to fry the PAS out of the box :oops: and the plastic cover over the secondary drive cogs had a stripped screw thread from the factory other than that no issues in +2000 km. You might want to change the cranks depending what comes in the box now, mine were horrible.

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
I wonder, if some of the BBS sold are missing the rubber seal? In comparing installs with another rider (different suppliers, mine had been pregreased inside for instance), theirs didn't have the seal (unless it was the most perfect alignment and not a single bit showing)

I've had a couple of GSMs with internal controllers and both died after rain. So far, the BBS01 that I now use hasn't had the issues.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I wonder, if some of the BBS sold are missing the rubber seal? In comparing installs with another rider (different suppliers, mine had been pregreased inside for instance), theirs didn't have the seal (unless it was the most perfect alignment and not a single bit showing)

I've had a couple of GSMs with internal controllers and both died after rain. So far, the BBS01 that I now use hasn't had the issues.
The motor and controller seem well sealed.My prob was rain getting in the throttle ,then rain in detached throttle cable connection. I dont think the controller is toast yet.
These are the latest symptoms .After 3 days dead i decided to try disconnecting and reconnecting the display and brake cables again.Last time no change.This time the PAS powered up.I got too cockey and re connected the throttle.Dead but immediately caused a brake sensor to stop working (Both sensors work ,problems one of the cables). Detached throttle ,brake sensor stayed dead.
Test ride, PAS fine for 8 miles then horrible electrical juddering /vibration sensation in pedals when trying to turn them.Walked home.Next day 15 miles going great, then PAS just died ,loads battery left. 8 laborious miles slog home. Bbs feels like peddling through treacle when motor dead.Did spark to life couple times . Once going on off on off. Another a whole mile then died again.
So maybe these symptoms will give someone a clue.So far eclipse bikes not responded to my email.Its only 4 months and 1000 miles into the warranty ,so im reluctant to pull it apart.,

D

Deleted member 4366

I keep saying it, but I guess the message hasn't spread far enough yet. Whatever ebike you have or whatever type of motor, if it becomes intermittent, noisy, juddery or vibrates, do not try to give it power. Switch it off, take it home and fix it. If you try and give it power when the motor can't respond, there's a fair chance that you will blow the controller. You can even burn out the motor. The initial problem is often simple, like a faulty connection or water somewhere, but you end up with an expensive mess.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but are hub motors (or, say, the GSM crank drive coupled with an external controller) more reliable in damp conditions?
Yes, in our experience.

D

Deleted member 4366

Most of the BBSxx problems seem to be related to controllers. Generally, external controllers are pretty reliable, but at least they're easier to deal with if you get any problems.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Generally, external controllers are pretty reliable,
external controllers are certainly more reliable, possibly by an order of magnitude.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I keep saying it, but I guess the message hasn't spread far enough yet. Whatever ebike you have or whatever type of motor, if it becomes intermittent, noisy, juddery or vibrates, do not try to give it power. Switch it off, take it home and fix it. If you try and give it power when the motor can't respond, there's a fair chance that you will blow the controller. You can even burn out the motor. The initial problem is often simple, like a faulty connection or water somewhere, but you end up with an expensive mess.
Hi d8veh.Pulling things apart and repairing myself is something i enjoy .But in this instance im hamstrung wanting to not void my warranty. Ive looked for anything like bad connections .Tried the disconnecting cables ect. Perhaps these symptoms are some hall sensor issue? Though i dont see why the problem caused by the throttle/wet would cause that.Unless its a coincidence, 2 seperate issues around same time.

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
Yes, in our experience.
I've been saving my pennies and had planned to get a BBS01 kit from you in the Spring, but now I'm definitely erring toward your GSM CD with an external controller. I don't see any ancillary components (PAS, controller, wiring harness, brake sensors etc) listed in your online shop - Can you put together a package deal, or would I need to buy the other parts from somewhere like BMSB?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Minexplorer, I am the same as you, and many others here I think, who would rather fix something themselves, and on the whole, enjoy the experience and gain some knowledge from doing so, but you are in the position of having a warranty, so take advantage of that. For what it's worth and from my experience with bbs**units, I think you have a damaged controller through no fault on your part, as far as I can tell, so you are fully justified to make a claim.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I've been saving my pennies and had planned to get a BBS01 kit from you in the Spring, but now I'm definitely erring toward your GSM CD with an external controller. I don't see any ancillary components (PAS, controller, wiring harness, brake sensors etc) listed in your online shop - Can you put together a package deal, or would I need to buy the other parts from somewhere like BMSB?
If I may jump in:

KT 17A or 20A sine wave controller or the like with external speed sensor plug, 36/48v compatible one is the best choice. The GSM internal controller is 18A so a couple extra won't hurt the motor.
A speed sensor
KT LCD-6 because it has a cadence monitor which can help you keep the GSM within the 80-90 rpm it likes
The PAS is internal, don't fry it... you will need a Julet to whatever PAS socket there is on the controller or solder the wires together, don't fry the PAS... :rolleyes:
A couple of HWbrake sensors (your trike has cable drum brakes?)

Where to put the controller is up to you, I think mine will be up front somewhere to keep the cable runs short.