Is there an road legal kit for an 48v 14.5ah battery?

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
Bought a charger from them few weeks back. No custom charge. Opened the thing up as you do and apart from the pub is glued into place, no stand offs, very well built, include a built-in mains power switch.

As to the question only a buyer could answer. Photographs tell a thousand words. However, cracking open equipment is priceless. :)
Thanks for your feedback on them =)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you know of links to buy the ideal controller and hub kit please? I've been looking around google with searchs such as "48v 250w/350w" and i'm not getting much of anywhere. I understand rpm and torque... although these winding codes? I used to sell gemstones to wire wrappings.. so I know they used different copper wire gauges. For speed are the hubs winded with thinner wires yet more turns, whereas for torque it's thicker wires yet less turns while keeping the same amount of copper?

Thank you for your time.
Lets start at the beginning which hub are going to use/buy or do you have one already ?

Reactions: quackstar84

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
I have an front 1000watt and a rear 500watt which I plan to sell both. So i'll be buying a new set up apart from the battery which is an
48V 14.5Ah = https://www.dhgate.com/product/eu-no-tax-48v-14-5ah-hairon-the-interior/411061367.html

Woosh's Bafang SWX02 48V code 16 is a 5:1 geared hub motor would have been excellent however he's not able to sell the kit without the battery so i've looked to see if they are sold else where but I can't find them (I think they are exclusive).

I will also be buying a new bike so I was thinking of buying this £1500 one; https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/electric-bikes/haibike-sduro-hardseven-1-0-27-5-electric-mountain-bike-2018.html however I think it's too much money and I rather get a basic set up which doesn't look as stealable.

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
Here's something else which worries me. I have an GT aggressor from around 2013 and the rear drop outs are too short for the rear hub;

The other bike is an diamondback from the nine's and has plenty of space for the hub to fit in. So when I buy a new bike and say I buy online, how to I make sure it's compatible with an hub?

Thank you.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Elifebike.com were selling SWX02 hubs but I no longer can log on to the site as it is one of two owned by the owner of PSWPower.com and my pc automatically transfers me to PSWPower. . So you need to check put the hubs rpm on sale.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Here's something else which worries me. I have an GT aggressor from around 2013 and the rear drop outs are too short for the rear hub;

The other bike is an diamondback from the nine's and has plenty of space for the hub to fit in. So when I buy a new bike and say I buy online, how to I make sure it's compatible with an hub?

Thank you.

Horizontal D/O's aren't very good as the motor wire/axle slot ideally needs to point down to prevent water ingress and to form a drip loop with the cable.
Mostly bikes with vertical D/O's are used, so you need to select one with a good bit metal above it as often you have to Dremel/file the D/O 3mm or so deeper to accept the tab of Anti -rotation washers which allows the axle to sit in them correctly. Most geared hubs use a 10mm x 12mm axle so most 9mm D/O's are fine.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which hub fitting, freewheel or cassette ?

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
Elifebike.com were selling SWX02 hubs but I no longer can log on to the site as it is one of two owned by the owner of PSWPower.com and my pc automatically transfers me to PSWPower. . So you need to check put the hubs rpm on sale.
Yeah elifebike parts are also being sold on the pswpower's aliexpress store as well; https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/elifebike-store/1314442_511873509.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.32ee1532rQeqRn

Ok so I need to message these seller beforehand and see if they have any low rpm hubs. No problem. Just wanted to check if anyone on here knew beforehand.

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
Horizontal D/O's aren't very good as the motor wire/axle slot ideally needs to point down to prevent water ingress and to form a drip loop with the cable.
Mostly bikes with vertical D/O's are used, so you need to select one with a good bit metal above it as often you have to Dremel/file the D/O 3mm or so deeper to accept the tab of Anti -rotation washers which allows the axle to sit in them correctly. Most geared hubs use a 10mm x 12mm axle so most 9mm D/O's are fine.
That's a good point you make. Looks like i'll be going to a bike shop even if I spot on online to make sure it's dropouts are suitable first. I've removed the lawyer lips on my old bike and also metal using an dremel so I can do that again. Thank you.

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
Which hub fitting, freewheel or cassette ?
Freewheels tend to be the most common right? The are fused together whereas when you remove an cassette the gears are lose. I'll be looking for a bike around £500 pounds so I figure it will have an freewheel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BMSBattery sell BPM2 216rpm though not 250w.
The Q128's are listed as 201rpm but we know they aren't as they run to fast and are more like 260rpm as they reach 19.5mph @36v.

Bafang bpm2 on Alisxpress/Elifeshop is 48v 205rpm.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

quackstar84

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2014
If you can get on the Elifebike site proper they have more items for sale inc hubs, aside from the PSWPower site but both must use a near same web id so can only see PSWPower now.
Yes I can only get on http://asp.pswpower.com and the notice at the top of the screen states "Notice: This site is our old website! You can inquiry OLD orders in this site; If you want get NEW orders, you should go to our new web sites: http://www.pswpower.com or http://www.elifebike.com; Your can order not only in PC, but also in Mobile phone!"

However elifebike.com goes straight to PSWPower as you've said.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BMSB controllers are KT make same as PSWPower.

The PSWPower 36/48v controllers are more compact, so get a 17a one and the 48v 350w hub from Aliexpress along with KT LCD3 or LCD6.
Also you will need a pas sensor with magnet.
No need for speed sensor as the hub has an internal one.

You will want sine wave torque control (sensored controller) as the hub will run quieter.

S09P/12P are square wave your bike will be noisy because the pulse signals aren't smooth so will make the hub sound loud.
S12S is massive and 25a, your 29E battery won't be happy at 25a, though you can limit amp draw via the lcd settings.

• Informative

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
48v 350w is ample for your battery, only advantage with 500w is you throw 30-35a at it if you had a battery capable of supply the draw.

48v x 17a is 816w output from the controller, with motor efficacy at 78/80% will be 650 odd watts at the wheel. Enough to make you feel like Froome or G on the hills.

The Samsung 29E doesn't like much more then 17a draw out of it. Though more often the draw will be much less if you aren't using pas 5.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH