Is there any good reason not to buy a Greenway E16M106?

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
The speed can be adjust to 20mph by accessing the main menu by holding down two buttons and then select max speed cut off,,set to 20mph.
It does have a throttle but that is at 5mph and it's classed as walk assist and NOT twist and go. Never needed twist and go as it's so simple to ride. As long as you can turn the pedals and power set at 5 it's as good as twist and go.
It does alter the power delivery tho so you can alter power lever 1-5 by throttle control whilst riding.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
That's interesting, I asked the guys at Greenway and they said the unrestricted speed of the E16M106 is 40kph (25mph)

They also said that "to my knowledge you can add a throttle but there is no extra plug installed already"

Eagle eyed D8veh noticed from the pics that this bike has a 3 to 1 harness, in order to have a throttle I would need to change this for 4 to 1......and then add a throttle!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Changing the harness won't work if the controller isn't configured for a throttle, so you would need to be 100% sure.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
And I take it there is no way to know that or check that without simply opening it up?

The guys at Greenway said "for my knowledge it is possible"

Maybe I should push them for something a little more specific.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would take the answer as no, you can't add a throttle and move on. There's plenty of other bikes that you can fit a throttle to. If you have the skill to fit a throttle to that Greenway bike, you could fit an entire kit to the bike of your choice. it isn't difficult. the only hard thing is to choose the kit in the first place.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Your absolutely right, one of the things the Greenway has going for it though is that I can buy it using the Bike 2 Work Scheme.

If I was buying outright I would go for this: Romet

D

Deleted member 4366

I have some reservations about the battery on that Romet bike. 11.6Ah Samsung cells means INR18650-29E cells. they're rated at only 11 amps continuous and about 40 amps for short bursts. The listing doesn't show the controller's max current, but 1500w is normally around 35 amps. The motor will take that maximum current a lot of the time if you use a throttle or level 5 PAS, which will wear out the battery in no time. For a 1500w motor and controller, you'd need Samsung 30Q cells (12Ah), LG HG2 or something like that. They're a lot more expensive than 29Es.

These bikes with the big DD motors are not what you expect. You don't get 6 times the power of a 250w one. Andy Bluenoes found that his commute times were substantially quicker on his 250w Oxygen than his 1000w Cyclotricity. Those bikes with the big DD motors are also very heavy - typically over 30kg, which also brings a certain amount of dissatisfaction depending on your circumstances.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Duly noted - I did think the battery, based on an earlier comment suggesting that DD motors typically want around 2000 watts to be effective, seemed a bit underpowered.

My first choice is still the Greenway.......if they ever email me the quote I need!

I'm going to call them again and see what the hold up is!

Alternatively, I could contact e-bikes direct and ask if they also accept the Bike to Work scheme and then have another think about the Oxygen!

D

Deleted member 4366

You can buy all E-bikesdirect bikes from Halfords, so whatever schemes Halford uses should be OK.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is it worth paying double just to have a throttle? For £100, you can buy a complete new control system for that Greenway bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
My faith in Greenway is slowly evaporating, I emailed them on Thursday morning and said

"I would like to buy this bike, please send me the relevant info"

And I'm still waiting, if they're this slow to respond to a "I want to give you money" email, how quick will they be if I have a problem 3 months down the line?

Having said that, its a funky frame, its a great price and your right, its a great starting place for some upgrades.

One of the things I like about the Oxygen is the big centre mounted screen, would something like that be available for the the new controller you mentioned for the Greenway?

(I really appreciate all your advice by the way and I apologise for all the noobie questions)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have some reservations about the battery on that Romet bike. 11.6Ah Samsung cells means INR18650-29E cells. they're rated at only 11 amps continuous and about 40 amps for short bursts. The listing doesn't show the controller's max current, but 1500w is normally around 35 amps. The motor will take that maximum current a lot of the time if you use a throttle or level 5 PAS, which will wear out the battery in no time. For a 1500w motor and controller, you'd need Samsung 30Q cells (12Ah), LG HG2 or something like that. They're a lot more expensive than 29Es.
29E's afaik aren't even near 11amps, Nkon state 8.25a max.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Greenway finally got back to me, they said please fill out the attached form and send it back.....

.....and there was no attachment!

E-Bikes Direct on the other hand emailed me back within 15 minutes and explained that I can buy the Oxygen using Bike 2 Work and pay the difference seperately!

I'm still staying with the Greenway though!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
So Greenway finally sent me through the Bike 2 Work form today......

......but, as its taken them so long to send it I have started looking at some other options and the Woosh Rio MTB is looking very attractive.

Its £200 more than the Greenway but:

1. Has Hydraulic Brakes
2. Has Thumb Throttle
3. Has bigger battery (13AH)
4. Woosh just seem a more reputable company with much better customer service.

I've just been through Volusia25's review thread and I'm really impressed with "Woosh's" responses and attention to Volusia's points.

I've emailed them to see if the bike can be purchased through the Bike2Work scheme and I'm awaiting their response.

One last question remains.......can the Woosh bikes be de-restricted?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
One last question remains.......can the Woosh bikes be de-restricted?
although it can be but we don't guarantee your bike if you derestrict it.
PS:
Hatti who deals with cycle to work schemes is on holiday until Sunday.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Woosh, its your expedience in replying to messages on here that is making me consider the Woosh now, customer service is a huge par of the buying experience and with the greatest of respect to Greenway, its taken them since Thursday morning to send me a form!

This has shattered any confidence I have in dealing with them.

In Hatti's absence do you happen to know if the Bike 2 Work scheme is one of the ones you can work with?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know for sure, there are so many schemes!
I'll ask her when she calls in.