Is this the begining of the rise of the Machines?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
..and
No chance. I don't need to better it with brain power, one swing with a sledge hammer will show who has the superior intellect.
You think it hasn't already thought about that?. .. you show up with a hammer, it shows up with a jcb!

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No chance. I don't need to better it with brain power, one swing with a sledge hammer will show who has the superior intellect.
it can hide itself on the internet.
that's where the danger lies.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I usually put this sort of thing on the same shelf as the flat earth society and those trying to "awaken" an asteriod, marking them as intersting but nonsensical, but, around the world right now its looking more and more like we live in a house of cards with the two little pigs (Trump and Kim Jong un) threatening to blow it down, so I can see how a sef aware machine could plot to take over..... for our own good!

Reactions: flecc

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
I remember the days when BBC 2 was only a"part time" station, and most of it was open university broadcasts. One of which told us that the latter half of the twentieth century would have to be spent training the population on how to spend its leisure time, as automation would dispense with a lot of jobs. Then the internet happened, call centers, etc etc. Don't worry, something will appear. At the end of the 19th century the prophesy that faced major cities for the twentieth century was the increasing amount of horse manure left on the streets.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I remember the days when BBC 2 was only a"part time" station, and most of it was open university broadcasts. One of which told us that the latter half of the twentieth century would have to be spent training the population on how to spend its leisure time, as automation would dispense with a lot of jobs. Then the internet happened, call centers, etc etc. Don't worry, something will appear. At the end of the 19th century the prophesy that faced major cities for the twentieth century was the increasing amount of horse manure left on the streets.
And now it is increasing bull manure in places called parliaments... :D

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
..and

You think it hasn't already thought about that?. .. you show up with a hammer, it shows up with a jcb!
Again no chance, when I show up with the hammer I'll do the necessary in seconds, long before it could access a JCB.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it can hide itself on the internet.
Not when it's playing chess!

Ultimately it's lack of flexible physical access that defeats the electronic brains in the foreseeable future. We are at least centuries away from the machines evolving the infinite flexibility of human action, and possibly millennia.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Not when it's playing chess!

Ultimately it's lack of flexible physical access that defeats the electronic brains in the foreseeable future. We are at least centuries away from the machines evolving the infinite flexibility of human action, and possibly millennia.
So it wouldn't be able to take over the internet and press all the buttons electronically? don't really need a physical presence to do that.
I have been reading that even the most mundane household items can be hacked and put to criminal use and when done en mass can be very effective.
How many people out there don't have at least one conected item?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
So it wouldn't be able to take over the internet and press all the buttons electronically? don't really need a physical presence to do that.
I have been reading that even the most mundane household items can be hacked and put to criminal use and when done en mass can be very effective.
Me... :p Nope not even a smart TV

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've been around in recognisably human form for a million years without the internet.

So returning to that leaves your internet based machine useless.

That's why the machines fail, as my sledge hammer response showed. The machine uses it's brain but we don't need to make that mistake. We only need to respond with our natural animal reactions, for animals are what we are and what the machines will never understand.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, the technology we have in the shops in old technology, the technology that actually exists is decades more advanced. A lot of the technology we have comes from military applications which then filters down to consumer technology. We are letting AI technology make more decisions for us every day and also bringing more surveillance into our homes. I am not anti technology as i am writing this using the biggest AI machine in the world but concerned people do not understand the full implications of it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My devices have power switches controlled by me, they can't turn themselves off and on they are previous generation (out of date) and if I pull the phone plug out my appartement is an unconnected fortress. :) The building is opened by a key (metal one). No smart phone so you can't track my comings and goings. No car.

My point of weakness is my ISP and it's box, they have access to my computer.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am not anti technology as i am writing this using the biggest AI machine in the world but concerned people do not understand the full implications of it.
I agree, but the end game is the humans will still be here and the technology not.

Advertisers