Is this the begining of the rise of the Machines?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd like to see it in action with my own eyes, rather than read about it on Wikipedia. :)
deep learning is the key technology currently used in speech and image recognition systems that equip your driverless cars. Google translate uses the same technology.

• Informative
Reactions: SHAN

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
some of the programming techniques in use for AI is neural networks and deep learning. They imitate the way our neurons are connected and fired. They are capable of creating irrational moves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning
I am a very frequent visitor to another (completely unrelated) forum. The people who provide the platform claim they use a fancy AI system for adding keywords to posts for indexing purposes.

That AI system most certainly appears able to create irrational "moves" - often producing what appear to be howlers. Imagine a post which mentions "gas" having keywords for "Shell" and "diesel" added, ignoring "petrol", "petroleum spirit", "Murco" and "gasoline" (though all those words might already be in their index). Despite the post actually being about intestinal gas pains. Or anaesthetics. Or oxygen saturation.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
..The people who provide the platform claim they use a fancy AI system for adding keywords to posts for indexing purposes.

That AI system most certainly appears able to create irrational "moves" - often.. Imagine a post which mentions "gas" having keywords for "Shell" and "diesel" added, ignoring "petrol", "petroleum spirit", and "gasoline" (though all those words might already be in their index). Despite the post actually being about intestinal gas pains. Or anaesthetics. Or oxygen saturation.
D'you mean like the anecdotal Advert AI that popped up an ad for toasted muffins over the story of a fatal bakery accident (oops, i mean incident).
Mikel

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
some of the programming techniques in use for AI is neural networks and deep learning. They imitate the way our neurons are connected and fired. They are capable of creating irrational moves.
That AI system most certainly appears able to create irrational "moves" - often producing what appear to be howlers.
These misunderstand what I've posted, which is that machines will not understand our irrationality due to their dedication to rationality and logic.

That they can and indeed do accidentally create irrational responses isn't in any way an ability to understand another's.

We indeed are the proof of that, often able to be irrational while sometimes completely failing to understand what is to us other's irrationality. That's why we have political parties and wars.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A current radio program is in the futurist vein of this subject, James Burke prediction is that in about 50 years we'll all have our own nano factory making everything we need, from food through clothing to hardware, all using completely free resources.

According to him none of us will need to work and there'll be no need for money or even governments. If he's right there could be no prospect of machines taking over since we'll have ceased creating that type of machine ability.

You can listen to his program on the i-player on this link

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
These misunderstand what I've posted, which is that machines will not understand our irrationality due to their dedication to rationality and logic.
machines may not predict all humans' reactions but does it really lessen our ever increasing reliance on technology? Imagine a day without electricity, mobile phone, internet etc.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If he's right there could be no prospect of machines taking over since we'll have ceased creating that type of machine ability.
I have not yet listened to his programme but does he accept that future machines have direct access to the machinery that produce these robots/machines, ie are they allowed to design and build better machines themselves?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
machines may not predict all humans' reactions but does it really lessen our ever increasing reliance on technology? Imagine a day without electricity, mobile phone, internet etc.
Just as an aside..
We have just watched am old Beatles film which showed one of them wandering around blindly bumping into everyone whilst reading the paper..
Not so different to phones really..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have not yet listened to his programme but does he accept that future machines have direct access to the machinery that produce these robots/machines, ie are they allowed to design and build better machines themselves?
Not really, he envisages them being able to reproduce themselves and used for that purpose to achieve worldwide distribution of themselves. In his world there will be no larger machines or even structures, we'll meet holographically so presumably no need for much major infrastructure. His world will have no shortage of anything possible for anyone, so no need to travel to other planets or even anywhere for that matter.

You'll need to listen to fully understand his radical concept.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Soon they will be also taking the fun out of riding. But, on a serious note so what happens to those people who physically enjoy driving?
The only thing I find positive with this is that they will do away with annoying back seat drivers which can be easily resolved by the use of duct tape.

MS.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Soon they will be also taking the fun out of riding. But, on a serious note so what happens to those people who physically enjoy driving?
The only thing I find positive with this is that they will do away with annoying back seat drivers which can be easily resolved by the use of duct tape.

MS.
Luckily, I dont have to work and if I choose my time wisely the roads around the dales can be relativily quite so we can still go for a drive without all the hassle that comes with a congested transport system, and my life expectancy is such that it will most likely not change much for me.
But,
The real point of the video is at the end if you watched that far, where Sophie has been giver Robot Citizenship which I find interesting and highly amusing, but have to wonder, if Flecc excersided his hammer remedy would he be locked up for murder?:eek:

D

Deleted member 4366

MS.
Already, you can get the full driving experience in the comfort of your living room without much risk of getting mangled in an accident - even better with a VR headset. Have you tried one?

You can start here:

https://www.crazygames.com/game/city-car-driving-simulator

Reactions: mountainsport

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only thing I find positive with this is that they will do away with annoying back seat drivers
Maybe not, I can easily envisage passengers snarling at what their driverless car is doing or the route it's taking.

People frequently yell at TVs and I've on occasion told a supermarket self checkout to shut up when it's made an irritatingly unnecessary interjection.

Advertisers